Monkey Gum Firetrail

Lewy_88

First attempt at Monkey Gum and it lived up to the hype. We had a convoy of six cars, all but two had driven it before.

We set out from camp Sunday morning heading from Wombat Flats area up to the top. We were expecting to be up at the lookout roughly lunch time, but the traffic on the trail made it an all day affair.

The recent record rainfall meant that some of the little creeks leading towards the start of the main section were completely washed out and were quite a challenge. One main one was near vertical on the exit and needed a couple of maxtrax in the drivers side hole and then a hole heap of right boot to make it out. Footage was cool from this section.

Once we reached the river crossing which signifies Monkey Gum proper we had to wait for a good 20mins for a group infront to get around the first corner. They seemd inexperienced and had about 8 cars. The very next corner, it was the same story. But this time worse in terms of their 'recovery techniques. Kids standing near snatch straps under load was the last straw for us. We gave them a couple of words of advice and walked away. Accident waiting to happen.

We ate lunch and waited until they had moved on. We let 3 very capable patrols pass us and enjoyed the view as they flexed their way along one of the large and long erosion gullies. Our cars of varying capability chose very different lines and made our way to the major rock feeaturenear the end of the track. Again the patrols showed us how the hard line is done, the rest of us used the other two options.

At the top we picked one of the big mud holes to have some fun in and got some nice slo mo footage and had a laugh. All in all, Monkey Gum is a committing track, and you need to prepared with recovery gear, and the possibility of doing damage to your rig.

synchro

Just watching your vid on the TV now - its been a few years since I did this track and it looks a lot worse now than when I did it which I thought was pretty easy at the time - it was not until I was at the ladder (there is a new ladder there now) at the top that I found that I did not have the CDL locked and had driven up OK - however as I said the track looks a lot worse now. And yes the water holes along the flat at the top were just as deceptive back then as you guys found them.

If the D4 does not have LLAMs you need to get it as it will help in those tight spots and maybe save the bumper but as you found it just pulls off so maybe that is an alternative before the hard tracks.

Great video :cool:

Lewy_88

Just watching your vid on the TV now - its been a few years since I did this track and it looks a lot worse now than when I did it which I thought was pretty easy at the time - it was not until I was at the ladder (there is a new ladder there now) at the top that I found that I did not have the CDL locked and had driven up OK - however as I said the track looks a lot worse now. And yes the water holes along the flat at the top were just as deceptive back then as you guys found them.

If the D4 does not have LLAMs you need to get it as it will help in those tight spots and maybe save the bumper but as you found it just pulls off so maybe that is an alternative before the hard tracks.

Great video :cool:
yeah should just pull it off every time we go out. I think plan is to ditch the bumper and install a steel bar. Costs a very impressive penny though for the D4. I drive the Colorado - it just needs bash plates and sliders for tracks like that.

mikehzz

I did it a few years back on my own after reading reports that it wasn't that bad. It was a lot worse than I expected, a bit hairy being solo, I had to turn the locker on in patches and still ended up scraping a door on a rock. I don't want to do that anymore, I've run out of excuses to tell my wife how the car got damaged. :)

Lewy_88

I did it a few years back on my own after reading reports that it wasn't that bad. It was a lot worse than I expected, a bit hairy being solo, I had to turn the locker on in patches and still ended up scraping a door on a rock. I don't want to do that anymore, I've run out of excuses to tell my wife how the car got damaged. :)
Yeah I won't be going back until I have bash plates and Rock sliders. And maybe a set of 33s