mitsubishi ng pajero 1990

redreid1978

mitsubishi ng pajero, 1990

Good Points
its a pritty good 4x4 all round and a great family car .. uses stuff all fuel ...

Bad Points
inderpendant front .. :-( sucks ... it goes really good off road but lack of downward travell is not the best..

What mods have you done?
Raised front about 2 inch , raised rear about 2 inch , no bump stops , turbo diesel , custom snorkel, 255/70/16 conti suv tyres and a set of 275/70/16 bfg at, boost gauge, pedders 4x4 foam filled shocks all round , steel bull bar , spotties , cb ...

What mods are on the list to do?
Rear custom deck for all the gear, maybe disc rear end if i can find one , and longrange tanks to...

Why did you buy this vehicle?
it was cheep and needed a family car and just happens to find that it was a great 4x4

How often do you go offroad?
weekly

What will your next vehicle be?
i have a lada niva 80% complete

Attachments

• very cool 17-05-08.jpg
    very cool 17-05-08.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCF2090.JPG
    DSCF2090.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 300

Chucky

The Paj's, are a good strong 4by. I think because mitsubishi push the off road race (dakar) aspect, many people underestimate just how good they are.

So where out the Switch do you head out to?

I reckon the lada's rock too:cool:

redreid1978

The Paj's, are a good strong 4by. I think because mitsubishi push the off road race (dakar) aspect, many people underestimate just how good they are.

So where out the Switch do you head out to?

I reckon the lada's rock too:cool:

yeah kool thanks ,,, theres a road out here called binnies road ... it has 2 ends to enter one from ripley and one from yamanto ... follow either and there is heaps tracks off there ... the river bed is the best .. bit of crazzzyyy stuff nothing major big rocks be careful ..... good for a few hours fun and only like 10 mins from my place and all the tracks leed back to binnies ... and also kholo .. there is signs .. but ya get that ignore them ... its off knolo rd follow until the bridge just over the bridge the entry is right there step dirt track on ya right ... park in carpark lock the hubs and up ya go or keep going and there a few holes cut out of the fence to go through.. big hills , big mud suggest 2 cars or a winch if ya go the mud ... any ways have fun go have a look let me know wat ya think..

russell789

Good to see more Pajero owners listing their vehicles.

PAJERO PRIDE! i love my paj to.

so you have no rear bump stops in the rear? i looked at shortening mine or removing them, but i was worried about tearing the shock apart when i flexed it.. well flex the rear...

PeterMacT

Beautiful Red - I used to own one of these myself before I moved to the NL, but as far as off-roading goes, I think I would have been better off sticking with the first model.

Outbackbill

I've just bought an ng v6 auto ,in excellent condition-- one owner. Reconditioned motor. Planning an outback trip, and into the desert. It's stock standard. Does anyone have any advice for what spares to take, other than the usual belts etc. I'm retired and have plenty of time to look after this beautiful example of the model and won't be doing anything too risky. I think spare parts will be rare out there for this model now.
Cheers, Bill

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Beautiful Red - I used to own one of these myself before I moved to the NL, but as far as off-roading goes, I think I would have been better off sticking with the first model.

Agree there ! See below re that V6 petrol, the 2.5lt diesels were a lot rarer from what I see on the market.

I've just bought an ng v6 auto ,in excellent condition-- one owner. Reconditioned motor. Planning an outback trip, and into the desert. It's stock standard. Does anyone have any advice for what spares to take, other than the usual belts etc. I'm retired and have plenty of time to look after this beautiful example of the model and won't be doing anything too risky. I think spare parts will be rare out there for this model now.
Cheers, Bill

The series 13.0lt V6 petrol was a ripper, had an NF '88 for a while and they are great all round.
That V6 had peak torque at 2500rpm, the next series 2 model V6 had peak torque at ~ 4000 rpm.
Damn things pull like a diesel !!

Off road, I reckon my NF was as good or better than my PK Ranger.

My mate used to own the one I had, he brought it along on a Simpson crossing one year and it performed so well.
Bill, yours is petrol I assume, so all you need is some good poly or metal jerries, get them into the tank as fast as it will take them.
From memory he used about 120lt ULP, but you need to have some reserve for detours, or turnarounds.

Be ruthless in what you take, GVM is not that great.
From memory, there was only about 800kg of extra weight for mods and gear with the NG, if going with others, ask if they can take a few things, like a jerry or two each for you, don't push the weight too much.

It walked up dunes as good as any of the other vehicles in our group, even better than many of them at times.

See my thread here about some of the things I did to it . . . one thing to do is take down the fuel tank cover / bash plate, and get any little stones etc out from between that and the tank.
They are known to gradually wear through and hole a tank with vibrations / movement etc, not something to have happen when remote.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/pajero-nf-1988-gen-1-superwagon.38950/
See post 29 re fuel tank stones.

Outbackbill

Agree there ! See below re that V6 petrol, the 2.5lt diesels were a lot rarer from what I see on the market.

The series 13.0lt V6 petrol was a ripper, had an NF '88 for a while and they are great all round.

That V6 had peak torque at 2500rpm, the next series 2 model V6 had peak torque at ~ 4000 rpm.

My mate used to own the one I had, he brought it along on a Simpson crossing one year and it performed so well.
Bill, yours is petrol I assume, so all you need is some good poly or metal jerries, get them into the tank as fast as it will take them.
From memory he used about 120lt ULP, but you need to have some reserve for detours, or turnarounds.

From memory, there was only about 800kg of extra weight for mods and gear with the NG, if going with others, ask if they can take a few things, like a jerry or two each for you, don't push the weight too much.

It walked up dunes as good as any of the other vehicles in our group, even better than many of them at times.

See my thread here about some of the things I did to it . . . one thing to do is take down the fuel tank cover / bash plate, and get any little stones etc out from between that and the tank.
They are known to gradually wear through and hole a tank with vibrations / movement etc, not something to have happen when remote.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/pajero-nf-1988-gen-1-superwagon.38950/

Thanks so much for your comprehensive overview

Outbackbill

Thanks so much for your comprehensive overview Les, yes I read your article on the same model you bought from your friend a few years ago. I appreciate all of the advice I've received today, and feel that I can proceed with a plan now. I'd be very surprised if the fuel tank has any sign of stones in the gap there, but will check tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what my mechanic thinks of the springs and shocks. The car has been babied, and feels like a new one-- not that I know what a new NG felt like back in 1990. It's just really nice to drive.
Cheers for now, Bill