Change background image

mitsubishi challenger blowing ignition fuse

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PApf96, Jul 14, 2018.

1. PApf96

PApf96 New Member

4.jpg Hi guys , i have a Mitsubishi challenger 2000 and its blowing the 30amp ignition fuse, i have found the wire and the insulation around it crumbles away so im wanting to replace as much or all of the wire.
    Im not sure where the wire goes its black and yellow and it runs from under the battery to down the back of the engine literally on the engine thats why it melted, it also is taped to the black and blue feed cable that runs from the positive side of the battery to the starter motor i believe?

is there a wiring diagram anywhere online or if anyone could tell me exactly where the wire goes to and from ?
    Thanks heaps!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

My experience with black and yellow has been earth, blue sounds like
    positive power to the starter. Try separating the two and see if the fuse
    still blows, I think you've sorted the problem yourself by saying the insulation
    is RS.

PApf96 likes this.
  3. PApf96

PApf96 New Member

Thanks for replying. If it was a earth then would it matter it touching bare metal wouldn't it just be doing its job and earthing? i have traced the wire that goes under the battery and it goes to a plug then the wire changes into a black and blue wire then goes thru the firewall and im not sure if it goes into the ecu or if its heading to the ignition barrel?.. Would the black and yellow wire which is taped to the black and blue starter feed cable be going to the starter since the other end goes into the cab of the car near the ecu?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. PApf96

PApf96 New Member

#update# traced the wire back to the starter motor ! Finally have found where it goes too, now only question is what size wire should it be and how many amps run through there?

5. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

If you can remove the wire, you could just take it to the local auto elec
    and ask them to make a suitable replacement.

Mr Rum likes this.
  6. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

or call an auto sparks

7. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

^^^ good advice. welcome to earth