Mitsubishi Challenger 2002

curtly

Mitsubishi Challenger, 2002

Good Points
reasonable on the juice, loves the sand, fits the kids plus the camping gear.

Bad Points
not enough leg room for the driver

What mods have you done?
Rolla rack and tray, Uniden UHF

What mods are on the list to do?
Lockers

Why did you buy this vehicle?
We bought the Mitsy for the kids, I always wanted to get off the beaten track so this is my entry vehicle.

How often do you go offroad?
I try for most weekends,

What will your next vehicle be?
Landcruiser 100 series

Attachments

• DSC_1192.jpg
    DSC_1192.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 290

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The Challenger's are good vehicle from what I seen. Leg room is becoming more of a problem in the newer vehicles (cars included) with all the stuff they are adding into the dash. I drove the Pajero on Fraser and they drove like a car in the soft sand and appears to have more room than the Prado

Pickle

PA Challengers are one of the best kept secrets in the Mitsu range. Everyone wrote them off as a soft roader but you might find they are quite capable.
The 3ltr 24 valve motor is one of the most reliable out there and if you do your research you won't find too many gripes with them. I have had near 70k of trouble free klms out of mine and a fair bit of that in lo range. It just keeps getting me home. Enjoy the vehicle Curtly.
Dave

ChallengeLee

I'm with Dave on this, very undestimated in it's capabilities. I have done more than l thought l could and more than l should have with mine and it's still going strong and is stock standard.
I don't have a problem with the leg room, l'm a shorty and l'd be bloody hopeless if l didn't have the seat raiser too...lol
I find the fuel economy damn good especially when over long distances, l can'r complain about mine at all, l love it :D

curtly

Hi ya Pickle and Challenge......Just been looking at the 50mm BL on another well known site. Looks good I'm glad QT allows it with a going over of course. Might look into it before the beach trip this xmas. Won't do it myself though, changing a flat is abut the extent of my mecanical know-how.

I must be admit the Mitsy has got us around some great places. I'm around 6ft so extending my left leg can suck.

Curt.

BUSHNUT

Dont sell your little challenger short

Friends of mine have one, and it is a surprising little truck , it has been way up in the high country and across the Simpson desert taking it all in it's stride .

It has even hauled my previous vehicle a GQ patrol wagon on vehicle trailer, fully laden back from Omeo to Frankston when it blew it's head on a Davies High plain trip within sight of Omeo.( photo 1 )

The essential thing to do modwise is a fan assisted oil cooler for the transmission if it is an auto .

Bobbys other mods are a long range tank and a two inch lift , a rear mount for a second spare for the desert travel .
Photo 2 coming on to the Birdsville Track from the Walkers crossing track . ( Photo 3 bluff track Easter a few years ago . Photo 4 , the Simpson Desert and Photo 5 ,at the Davies Plain hut camping area .

Attachments

• gq1.jpg
    gq1.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 642
  • gq2.jpg
    gq2.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 363
  • gq3.jpg
    gq3.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 343
  • gq4.jpg
    gq4.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 372
  • gq5.jpg
    gq5.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 389

oyamum

nice mitsi mate. im a mitsi fan and was a mechanic for mitsubishi when these were new they are an awsome car and most late model mitsi's will give you trouble free motoring, my wife has a tl magna 3.5ltr with 180k on it and never had a prob with it i just get sick of all the people who try to tell ya mitsubishis are p.o.s...

curtly

nice mitsi mate. im a mitsi fan and was a mechanic for mitsubishi when these were new they are an awsome car and most late model mitsi's will give you trouble free motoring, my wife has a tl magna 3.5ltr with 180k on it and never had a prob with it i just get sick of all the people who try to tell ya mitsubishis are p.o.s...

Your spot there I pranged the car I drive to work and borrowed the father-in-laws 1989 magna (sorry not sure of model) but it was way ahead of it's time. On steering wheel controls for stereo, led speed display.

The Challenger gets me where I want to go and fits in the kids and all their stuff no probs:D

Curt.

curtly

Dont sell your little challenger short

Friends of mine have one, and it is a surprising little truck , it has been way up in the high country and across the Simpson desert taking it all in it's stride .

It has even hauled my previous vehicle a GQ patrol wagon on vehicle trailer, fully laden back from Omeo to Frankston when it blew it's head on a Davies High plain trip within sight of Omeo.( photo 1 )

The essential thing to do modwise is a fan assisted oil cooler for the transmission if it is an auto .

Bobbys other mods are a long range tank and a two inch lift , a rear mount for a second spare for the desert travel .
Photo 2 coming on to the Birdsville Track from the Walkers crossing track . ( Photo 3 bluff track Easter a few years ago . Photo 4 , the Simpson Desert and Photo 5 ,at the Davies Plain hut camping area .

Bushnut.....Those photos of the Mitsy in the desert are great, that's one thing I always thought about Challengers, that they might be a bit 'soft' for the Simpson and the like. I guess it boils down to how well you prepare you vehicle for this type of travel. Stronger suspension, long range tank, etc.

When I've finised uni the plan is to do 6 month trip out through the desert, hence the reason for looking at a crusier. Might pay to look into setting up the Mitsy:D

curtly

let the build begin........

Well after much agonising the Mitsy's build up is under way for the trip to the Cape in 2012, sure that may be a couple of years off but the time will fly. The missus and I have decided against our yearly camping trip to Pebbly this year to save for a camper trailer next year, the caravan and camping show is on in June in Brissy and I'm keen as mustard to get my hands on a camper.

Tomorrow the cargo barrier goes in, ok so its not diff lockers but I'm doing this in baby steps, alot to do with $$$ and I want to get most stuff done before I get the suspension lift in so I know what the weight will be. I will have the tow bar put on soon though, I'm not having a cool camper and not being able to take it anywhere:rolleyes:

Bushnut your photos you had posted really had me thinking and your right its as capable as anyother 4x4, just harder to get stuff for, just ask Wixxxer about his bullbar:D Manuel you will probably get a few PM's from me regarding that I've already emailed Sharyn.

So guys if your interested watching and advising me in this build up I'm all ears......let the good times roll:D:D

Curt.

curtly

Cargo barrier pics.......

Hey,

Here's a couple of pics of the cargo barrier, I think it looks pretty good and man is it sturdy. Next I was going to remove the floor and replace it with a storage unit, though ion the interest of weight I've decided to just lay a new floor over the top and put 2 small and 1 large door vertically so i can get in a fridge slide.

Curt.

Attachments

• DSC_1455.jpg
    DSC_1455.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 261
  • DSC_1456.jpg
    DSC_1456.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 268
  • DSC_1457.jpg
    DSC_1457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 217