Missing Walhalla / Thompson Dam Area

ozne

Posted from another group updated Monday 10/09/2019 - 6.00 am.

UPDATE:
6am 10/9 - still missing, if anyone has seen anything pertaining to them being found please send them through to me before you go around telling people as it is unhelpful thanks
Warrigal Police are in charge of investigations at this stage police and SES are setting up at Rawson police station in the morning at 7:30am
Map below shows area explored by some people. Feel free to head out tomorrow and help the search thanks to everyone who’ve helped out so far.
I’ve also added a couple photos of Caleb Forbes and Shannon
Hey guys a good mate has gone out of contact camping over the weekend
His name is Caleb Forbes and he drives a dark green GQ patrol (FQC 467)
He was with his friend Shannon and they were camping around Thomson’s Dam in Vic, near Walhalla. I don’t know the area at all but this is what he has told his family.
He was supposed to be working today but no one has heard from him since friday so starting to think he’s gotten stuck out there.
If anyone has seen him please send me a message.
Second picture is how it looks now with the Stedi spotties and led headlights. He sleeps in the back so won’t have a swag or anything on him.
He may be using UHF 69
1568071944039.png

1568071963248.png

1568071992709.png

Lost1?

Was there a trip plan to indicate where people could start searching? Might be blocked in by fallen trees after wind last weekend.

Barra GU

I hope they are ok.

$250 for a PLB is less than one camping trip. That would sound pretty cheap right now. I hope everyone on this forum who ventures into a remote area or National Park learns and invests in one.

Too true.
Its unfortunate that these circumstances still happen in todays day and age when we have technology like this readily available at a very affordable rate.

I purchased one 2 years ago when we did our tassie trip and keep mine in the glove box.

Spooner

Same here ,
Police say they have some supplies and at least some shelter inside the car.
As long as they haven't gone off a track , Plenty of people have been bogged in spots around there for up to a week over the years and been found AOK.

Corndoggy

When will some poeple learn. How many recently have had to be search for, be it walkers or drivers. It's Winter, it's cold, it's wet, there's snow around, tracks are muddy, it's been windy as. To choof off into the wilderness by yourself, not leaving the information of the tracks taken and the destination for camping, is just not that smart. Makes it so hard to find you. I've never left home without leaving the plans for option A or option B. And never at this time by myself. Just to easy to break down, get bogged, blocked by a tree, slide off the track, or something else.

Not The Nissan

Whilst only a newbie on here, I know the country throughout the north east. Herding cattle in the area and even in summer the weather can change in a heartbeat. Have been in the area and had a blanket of snow in January.
We can all say what should be done whilst traveling through the area, but it highlights the need to explore the area before one ventures out.
Satellite on google maps is a good start and you can get an idea of the area you want to travel.
Being caught in a blizzard in the area is no fun and poses enormous risk in travelling on your own.
I can only hope that the people concerned are found safe and well.

Swaggie

Whilst only a newbie on here, I know the country throughout the north east. Herding cattle in the area and even in summer the weather can change in a heartbeat. Have been in the area and had a blanket of snow in January.
We can all say what should be done whilst traveling through the area, but it highlights the need to explore the area before one ventures out.
Satellite on google maps is a good start and you can get an idea of the area you want to travel.
Being caught in a blizzard in the area is no fun and poses enormous risk in travelling on your own.
I can only hope that the people concerned are found safe and well.

It was snowing up at Lovics Hut at the end of Feb a couple of years ago...

peterfermtech

"the back of Walhalla" Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not sure that I have ever been any more descriptive than that.
regards

Corndoggy

It was snowing up at Lovics Hut at the end of Feb a couple of years ago...
Long time ago I did a hike into a place down that way. A lake called Lake Tali Karng. Was Christmas time. 3 weeks before there was cold weather and snow. Had to send in a rescue party and bring out some scouts stuck there. They didn't expect the amount of snow, or even that it would snow. At least people knew where they were and they needed help. Everything worked out.

shaun0

Unfortunately I think they have slid down an embankment and the vehicle is under the canopy , you could walk out to any of the major tracks in less than a day . Not looking good .

Some steep tracks in there and if they came across a red clay spot could easily have slipped down and then off or not be able to get back up. In winter some times those clay areas dont dry out at all and its like ice.