Missing ~ Found Dead

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers

This news story possibly didn't make headlines outside of Western Australia, but none the less it did happen.

I'm not for one second pointing an accusing finger or apportioning blame when it comes to this very sad outcome, but again it seems as though lessons have not been learned/learnt.

Quote: The body of Matthew Shane Boyd found yesterday 24th of October, near Lake Moore after desperate Wheatbelt search.

Mr Boyd aged 33 was last seen alive on October 16th, his vehicle became bogged in the Lake Moore area, north of Koorda which is a small town in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia.

Mr Boyd's travelling companion set off in a different direction (on foot) to try and find help, she was eventually located safe in farmland near the town of Dalwallinu.

That's pretty much a summary of what's been released by the Police, so again I say no finger pointing.

Bloody hard to comprehend that people today in such a Tech Savvy world still manage to put themselves in such a predictable position, should the proverbial hit the fan, and the proverbial here was a bogged vehicle, then a probable high pressure related mistake in decision making and imminent death, no doubt there's more to what's been released publicly but it's still a truly avoidable outcome.

I've traveled that part of WA several times over the years, it's vast it's remote and in parts absolutely spectacular and Lake Moore is by surface area the largest inland salt lake in the state, the Carlyarn Nature Reserve where Mr Boyd's body was located will now have a different meaning to it, should I be out and about looking for the 'Wreath Flower'

The day time temperatures have already reached into the high thirties and in places the mid forties and it's still October, the 'Wet' season's official start is the First of November, then it's usually in the mid to high forties every day for weeks on end, but luckily it cools right down at night, somewhere in the low to mid thirties and it might just rain, then again it's usually just thunder and lightening and scrub fires, dust ~ normal Pilbara stuff.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

IMGP0544.JPG

The wind picked up the other day, thought it might rain, but Nah, just another 'shitty day' thanks to the 'Big Thinker'

IMGP0545.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0542.JPG
    IMGP0542.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 72

sharkcaver

I was travelling solo in the same sort of area (South and East of lake Moore) only days before hand. In fact, my first camp was only 50Km away from their location. It was bloody hot (+38 degrees). Without water, the repercussions can only be tragic. Please, if you breakdown, stay by the vehicle. If things become so dire you have to make a run for it, don't do it in the heat of the day. It was a full moon when they got bogged. For the sake of $225 (less than the cost of a decent fourbie tyre), you could have had a 10 year PLB and we wouldn't be reading about this story now.

Oh, and lake Moore is nowhere near the Pilbara. It does not have a wet season. Just a correction as Joe's post seamlessly integrates both regions and gives the impression Lake Moore is in the Pilbara..

shaun0

Oh, and lake Moore is nowhere near the Pilbara. It does not have a wet season. Just a correction as Joe's post seamlessly integrates both regions and gives the impression Lake Moore is in the Pilbara..

Thanks I was wondering about that to and even looked on google maps!

sharkcaver

If people don’t know they don’t know, how do you educate people that don’t want to be Educated.

People are still using toe balls to recover, can be same result/death ...,,
They were only 50Km's off the main Northern Highway. They more than likely never dreamed they were "remote" and something as simple as a bogging could have such dire consequences. It will be a 2 day walk to either Dally or the highway. In high temps and with little water, the girl was lucky she didn't suffer the same fate as her companion.

Sometimes it's not down to education or awareness. This trip I was on, I was using double my usual water consumption. No drama, I'll get more out the back (I carry 20L on board). Imaginge the horror when I realise my rookie mistake: first container - empty. 2nd container only 5L. And by this stage, I was a hell of a lot further from water or people than they were. I went 3 days without seeing a soul. If something had happened, I would have been in trouble too.

Karl Fehlauer

I was at Ninghan Station on the long weekend in Sep with my 4WD Club - Lake Moore forms a part of the station and is to the north of where this happened.

Anyway, on the Monday morning when we were packing up to leave, I was approached by a couple who asked me for directions from where we were camping at Wardaggar Rock to Paynes Find. I asked them if they had maps so I could show them and they said, "No, we don't use maps" - WTF!!. Out in remote country like that with no maps, either paper or electronic (or both) is down right stupid.

I told them to head back to the homestead and get to the Great Northern Hwy the same way they came in but they didn't want to because it "was too far" :rolleyes::rolleyes: I gave them directions as best as I could but being a station there are roads everywhere and if they take one wrong turn they will be lost.

Karl

Swaggie

They were only 50Km's off the main Northern Highway. They more than likely never dreamed they were "remote" and something as simple as a bogging could have such dire consequences. It will be a 2 day walk to either Dally or the highway. In high temps and with little water, the girl was lucky she didn't suffer the same fate as her companion.

Sometimes it's not down to education or awareness. This trip I was on, I was using double my usual water consumption. No drama, I'll get more out the back (I carry 20L on board). Imaginge the horror when I realise my rookie mistake: first container - empty. 2nd container only 5L. And by this stage, I was a hell of a lot further from water or people than they were. I went 3 days without seeing a soul. If something had happened, I would have been in trouble too.

What about your Epirb ....
You know to stay with your vehicle and you could ration your water further if you had too.
They had none of those options.

I agree we can’t know everything but the basics can go a long way sometimes.

sharkcaver

What about your Epirb ....
You know to stay with your vehicle and you could ration your water further if you had too.
They had none of those options.

I agree we can’t know everything but the basics can go a long way sometimes.

The epirb is now out of date - I would have fired it off if needed anyhow. I was just making the point, in this type of remote country, when you don't see a person for days, I could have been in trouble - I do take precautions - even if my plb was out of date. Travelling solo and becoming incapacitated before you can fire the epirb is a risk to avoid - hence in my last vid, I didn't climb a large rock structure for a cache.

The problem is we don't know a lot about what happened to these poor folk. Basics certainly go a long way. In hindsight, splitting up wasn't a good move either. It's a sad tale indeed.

Joe Fury

I was travelling solo in the same sort of area (South and East of lake Moore) only days before hand. In fact, my first camp was only 50Km away from their location. It was bloody hot (+38 degrees). Without water, the repercussions can only be tragic. Please, if you breakdown, stay by the vehicle. If things become so dire you have to make a run for it, don't do it in the heat of the day. It was a full moon when they got bogged. For the sake of $225 (less than the cost of a decent fourbie tyre), you could have had a 10 year PLB and we wouldn't be reading about this story now.

G'day Shane
My apology regarding the 'seamless' slide from the Wheatbelt into the Pilbara ~ I pulled a Klanger in thinking member Adventurers, even the east coasters would have known the 'wet season' is a term used for the rainy season above the tropic of Capricorn.
Very true words too Shane in respect of the PLB
Safe travels : Joe

silkwood

People are still using toe balls to recover

In the case of tow balls, snatching etc., I think we tend to overestimate just how much the average person getting their first 4x4 actually knows (less if they head out bush with a standard vehicle...). It seems common sense, but that is because we are in communities which discuss such things. Look at people not airing down on sand, similar thing (thankfully less dangerous). They are simply not aware of the need.

In the case of staying near your vehicle, emergency services have emphasised this so many time to the general public you would hope it was common knowledge by now.

Albynsw

This is a good point, do they work until the battery crap’s out....

I think it is like flares, they are given a guaranteed service life and then deemed non compliant. I still carry my out of date flares and old epirb in the boat.
If the need arises I will be pressing all the buttons and using all the gadgets on hand

Triton14

Its an unfortunate outcome but to use the ocean as an example people still head out to sea where the forecast says don't go.

Then don't even put on a life jacket or have the right equipment on hand if things go wrong.

As you say, don't put yourself in harms way & having a fire plan or exit strategy is the best thing you can do for yourself or family.

Problem is people don't think of these things until its to late.

People laugh at those USA prepper shows but I have all my survival gear in 2 backpacks & they would be the 1st things I pick up if in a quick exit situation

Drewswb

I spent years learning how then a couple teaching how. Your not there to survive your out there to delay dieing. Buts thats all your doing is delaying. No help you die

Triton14

I spent years learning how then a couple teaching how. Your not there to survive your out there to delay dieing. Buts thats all your doing is delaying. No help you die

Sorry. I don't get that?

If your not prepared & to be able to help yourself then you are truely at the mercy of the elements & situuation.

People who are willing to put in the time & effort& equip themselves at least have a better chance than those that will just rely on others to come to their aid!!!!!

sharkcaver

This is a good point, do they work until the battery crap’s out....

I am of the belief they do. They will be "non-compliant" - but seeing its for private land use only - there is no regulation covering that. If it was for commercial or marine use, it would be in violation of the regs.

The battery will have a design life (in this case 7 years) where it is guaranteed to provide the stated performance specification. After that service life, it's anyone's guess, but expect performance to taper off over time. I would suspect a safety factor of two at least would be the norm. So I am not discarding my plb just yet. I actually wrote an email to AMSA a couple of days back asking this exact question. To date, I have had no response as yet.

Drewswb

If others dont come to your aid you won't make it out. No matter how prepared you are in some areas you can survive just, but you need to decide to survive or make distance. Unfortunately the two are kinda exclusive. Where Survival takes you could well be further away from civilisation.. Ill take survive and hope for help rather than try to get help and die