Milmed Track, Wyperfeld NP

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
I was just having a squizz to see which way we could go if we can get to O'Tooles meetup in November. ;)
Has anyone done this track recently. Figure it's a pretty good track if it's in the National Park, not very challenging but roughly how long would it take as we would just be passing through. :rolleyes:

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Team Ekki,

Firstly congrats on all your new camping gear! Hope you can get the time off work to get over to O'Tooles!

I had a great day last summer coming across the Milmed Rock Track. I wrote about my little adventure on page 4 of this section of the Forum - Big Desert Tracks.

I was coming the other way, from Geelong to Adelaide, and I first spent about three hours touring from Jeparit to the start of the Milmed Track, via Broadies Track.

Then about 4 hours along the 65 km of the Milmed Rock Track. I had about a 30min stop for lunch and three other stops to have a look a the scenery, including to sign the visitors book at Milmed Rock.

Google says 1hr and 20min for the 65 km. Well if you did not stop, and if you were not going through in summer when the sand was very dry and fluffy, you might just be able to do it in 1 1/2 hours. I found that I needed 2H for most of the trip, and 1H to climb the steeper dunes. I think I had about 15psi, or maybe 18psi.

When you come out the end of the Milmed Track you probably have another 30 to 40 min to get across to the bitumen at Rainbow.

Unless you want more 'adventure' and head south along the Broadies Track! But that could be a bit challenging finding the northern end of Broadies Track because I don't think it is sign-posted.

I wrote this up in the Tracks section of the Forum - Look for Big Desert - Broadies Track.

Cheers, Millsy.

P.S. Half of the adventure here is that it is very remote. So be prepared for a long wait for help if something goes wrong. I always organize a rescue through my family. If they do not get confirmation of me 'popping out' the other end after three days - ask the police if they can send out a search party!

And when I walked back along the track about 100m to take some photos the sand was so soft I felt as if I had walked 500m. Very energy sapping. A bit of a worry when I think back, and wonder how I might have managed walking just a few km out to the 'main' road!

I did not see another vehicle on either Broadies Track, or on the Milmed Rock Track, and I had come through in the Xmas holidays! I did see that one other visitor had signed the book that same day, at Milmed Rock, but that was just 20km in from the western end. I think that car might have just come into the 'rock' and then did a U-turn back to the west.

You are coming through mid-term, so could be even quieter!

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey Millsy,
Yeah, we'll be heading over, hopefully, mid November so should still be in term time. We just love "Looking for good routes" and as we are thinking of coming over through Bendigo this time, figured it would be a good short/long cut. :D
We aren't going to get the opportunity to try out The Wolf this weekend as planned. Figure we better do some work on the lad's van or he'll crack a wobbly, fair enough too, so it's engine building this weekend for Wooky. Mind you we did have the thought as we sat in our new beauty last weekend in the backyard of sleeping out there but decided not to get the tent wet....YET.
How's life back at school.
KAZ :D

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, school's not too bad at the moment. Marking is starting to build up as of now. Lots of end of semester work being handed in, and exams week after next. This is the most hectic time for teachers, the change of semesters, as they juggle about four big balls at the same time - marking ( books and end of topic tests), setting exams and then marking them all, writing end of semester reports, and preparing 5 new topics in the five subjects ready to start them the week after the exams. Not as bad for us old-timers because we have a lot of resources allready set up, but very stressfull for the younger ones!

Be good if LowLux went along that Milmed Track with you so that you (both) have some back-up.

Enjoy the build up to the trip, and of course the actual O'tooles. Should be great. Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing the stories.

Cheers, Millsy.

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah works pretty hectic here too. Can't believe it's one month out from the EoFY - doesn't seem that long ago we did the last one. Still, luckily in our business it's the quiet period, but spring really takes off and is flat out. Could be a stumbling block for holidays but if I bust a gut now they may still let me go.....

LowLux

We may just be able to do that Ekki. I'm trying to see if Trish can get the time off a bit earlier so we can go down with you guys because she will have long service clocked up at that time. Will let you know as soon as I can find out.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'll cross fingers and toes for you. Sorry, I lost track. I thought it was a goer!

I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to asking for time off work, but since I am in the process of cancelling 4 weeks of long service in early November, maybe I will find the ticker to ask for a couple of driving days to get to and from O'tooles instead. Too busy building my woodshed at the moment to have even started the two repair jobs on the Patrol. Better get back to this b......y marking!

LowLux

Oh its a goer all right Millsy. I'm just trying to convince Trish to go earlier so we can do a bit on the way...sight seeing that is and what ever else we can get up to on the way...I'd better shut up otherwise Wooki and Ewok won't want us to go with them.

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
You guys know there is always room for Team LowLux with us. Besides we need someone to keep us under control else we could end up anywhere.....