Mercedes 4x4 sprinter

vik351

Any goss on the 4x4 Merc...???
Allan Whiting seems to like it , and he would be older than me...
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/working-4wd-vehicles/mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4

Retired this year and now am looking at a MH, found the thread on 4x4 utes with the fibro rears and bent chassis delema if ya load wrong...

So came across the Merc 4x4 sprinter van jobbie,it's just the two of us so a van seemed logical, not that we intend goat tracks but after the bad press front wheel drives get,and rightly so if ya dare go off the black stuff,must have a diff,and 4x4 would come in handy I'm sure...
Have a Forester at the mo as our town wheels,would love a MH with the Subie all wheel drive set up,would be all I needed, go off track abit to free camp and you know you would get out again if it rained over night etc...!!!

Winning lotto I prolly would go for a Paradise Oasis , looks good on paper, bog in the back with a decent shower,bed ya dont have to make up every day,van body not full width so might be a touch better in town,shoppin etc and prolly would be harder to bend in 1/2 than an overloaded ute.

They dont seem to get a mention on here...??? is it too soft for this forum...??? It's all an old fart like me would want,I'm over gettin bogged and shovelin sand etc...!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/vik351/Picture080-1.jpg
My old L300 was the bow and arrow 4x4 set up... 2x4 in real words,times have changed now and I havent kept up with them much,would be interested in what the clan think of the way I'm heading...???

I', just looking at the mo and am all ears,is there some rig out there that ya reckon would suit
What I have seen and liked so far are things like
Van body size,not a must though
Diesel turbo,auto manual,4x4, diesel cooking, heating van and water (no need for LPG) decent ensuite,solar panels, comp fridge,genny...???

what do ya reckon...???

vik...

Albynsw

Alan Whiting seems to like the Daily as well as he has done a glowing review of them
I am keen to do a Iveco Daily setup Earth cruiser style but a DIY version
Don't know anything about the Merc one though

vik351

Alan Whiting seems to like the Daily as well as he has done a glowing review of them
I am keen to do a Iveco Daily setup Earth cruiser style but a DIY version
Don't know anything about the Merc one though
You got a link to that, Iveco seem to get a good word all the time...

vik...

vik351

Wow, real mountain goats those Ivecos... The real deal alright for when I wore a younger mans cloths...!!! SWMBO would never allow such a thing these days...
With more and more grey nomads gettin out there,me thinks the 4x4 range will definately get bigger...

thanks for that...

vik...

4runnerSteve

Electric 4X4 just means it uses a button instead of a lever. Theres not many around that don't use some sort of electronic 4x4 activation. The tyres on that thing look a little small, could become a limiting factor, although the duals on the rear could be interesting, cue wide tyre vs skinny tyre argument.

Albynsw

It is not n the league of the Canter,Iveco, Unimog type vehicle , more of a soft roader but would be more capable than the 2 wheel drive standard motor homes
It doesn't have good ramp over or general clearance and dual rear wheels can be an issue with rocks and sticks etc getting jammed up between the tyres causing tyre damage and punctures

It all comes down to where you want to be able to go, it may suit your needs just fine.

vik351

It all comes down to where you want to be able to go, it may suit your needs just fine.
Looks like I have found my softie 4x4 base...!!!:) Just what I was after,bonus diff lock for when it rains on the grass...

now the next expensive bit... :eek:

vik...

dirvine

I like the layout of the Trakka but have a look at the cost of the 4wd extras. $3k+ for a long rang tank and 2k+ for some bash plates. I could see an opportunity for a fabricator to make some easy money from the grey nomad set!

peterfermtech

It may have just been a bad one but a mate bought a sprinter which he owned four about 5 years. It never made it to a scheduled service without something needing to be done before hand. When he got rid of it, it had cost him more in services than the vehicle brand new. I think that model was made in Mexico but not sure about the engine . He bought a second hand Isuzu and has never had a problem.

regards

vik351

I like the layout of the Trakka but have a look at the cost of the 4wd extras. $3k+ for a long rang tank and 2k+ for some bash plates. I could see an opportunity for a fabricator to make some easy money from the grey nomad set!
YEA... I hope that shite dont start, rippin off us oldies cos they think we are loaded $$$, the fancy arse brigade with all the foldin stuff aint even gunna touch a motor home let alone a 4x4 one... Unless it looks like this... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/vik351/crap/1.jpg

vik...

vik351

It may have just been a bad one but a mate bought a sprinter which he owned four about 5 years. It never made it to a scheduled service without something needing to be done before hand. When he got rid of it, it had cost him more in services than the vehicle brand new. I think that model was made in Mexico but not sure about the engine . He bought a second hand Isuzu and has never had a problem.

regards
I heard they had big slusher box trouble but that is sposed to be sorted now,as for the donk...??? I bought a Ford BA turbo when they first came out, more time in the work shop than on the road...!!! and yet A mate and my son had one ea and bugger all trouble...!!! Monday,Friday or payday on drugs or piss on the production line and thats what ya get...!!! :-o

vik...