melbournes 4wd training and proving ground in werribee

scithe93

hey guys I was looking online for 4wd training areas and basic tracks and came across the training and proving grounds website.

I thought it would be a good idea since im fairly new to the 4wd world to do some sort of training to prepare me and help me make fewer mistakes when out n about.

researching there website I found they do both accredited and non accredited training for first time 4wders and seems it would be a good thing to have under my belt.

im just wondering if anyone on 4x4earth has been here or done these courses and could give there feedback and how there experience was so I know if its worth doing or just teach myself as I did with driving (age13) lol

they cater for all ages as long as you have a lisence and the fees are fairly cheap $300 each driver $50 each passanger im considering doing it even if its not needed just for the experience and professional instruction as I could and im not being dramatic save my life, the fact of learning how to properly control a 4wd and how to take on inclines/declines along with how to safely recover a vehicle just sounds like its something anyone new to 4wding should do. also the accredited courses go towards a transport and logistics cert so it would be good even if just to have another certificate in my brief lol so any info, feedback would be much appreciated cheers

brumbypt

Banned
do as much training as you can..

do thism and join a club, they have training programs, and when out on trips will help you through the difficult sections, but that depends on the trip and the trip leader.

I did a course before joining a club, even had a group photo in the australaisian post years ago.

Sent by telegram stop

scithe93

yeah that's what I thought better to have more experience than needed than not enough especially when I wanna go up the blue mountains next year lol

this is the link to the page I think its pretty good and I wanna go on the centurian tank ride they have there lol also you can do equiptment training there so I thought that would be a good idea when I start modding the GQ test out all my new goodies and a good way to learn how to safely use the lockers and get a feel for them when I do em that is

brumbypt

Banned
I used my 4wding skills to get the tractor out of the bog a couple of days ago. Much easier doing that than towing it out..

Have also used my 4wding skills to get the rideon mower out of bogs or not get stuck.

Sent by telegram stop

jacnden

i did a course there a few years ago, its a great set up there
i had had quite a bit of experiance ( but certainly no expert ) when i went there. its not far from home and at the time i thought of it as a way to fill in a day
well was i wrong, i learned a lot, probably more away from the driving.
how repair and plug tyres
how to use a high lift jack for winching etc.
lots of other stuff
and the tracks they have is extensive covering all sorts of situations.
the bit that was a copy of the old gunshot creek crossing was fun

one guy did turn up with a week old holden colorado and found he couldnt select 4wd, he left a little red faced

Coxy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great attitude mate. Nothing better than willingness to learn the right way.

I did my basic training with Jim at safetrek. 4WD | Driver | Training | Courses | 4x4 | Safe Trek

This was an evening classroom session and then a day on the tracks. Have a look and decide for yourself. Either way you will learn heaps of valuable info.

Enjoy

cptmud

A training course is a great start, teaches you the basics and the correct way to do things, but in saying that , nothing beats experience and getting out with like minded ppl. You can learn a lot from your fellow 4wder's

scithe93

yeah id rather have the knowledge and experience especially were I live coz theres a big muddy dirt turnaround below my house for the garbos im on a dead end rd and the amount of people getting bogged there weekly is ridiculous itd be good to be able to help em out without working my arse off pilling bark n shit under there wheels almost lost my hand last time coz the guy decided to accelerate while my hand was under his wheel.

even so just the fact of knowing the right or wrong way to setup a snatch with or without another car or how to correctly climb down steep ruts I just feel as though even if I don't need it itd be worth doing anyway I mean $300 aint gunna hurt my pocket lol

also dads getting a 4wd hes gunna do the course with me and mum was always scared of 4wding so she gunna come as a pasanger learn something new and have a new experience hopefully then there will be a few family trips planned next yr if she enjoyd it

cheers for the feedback guys

Sabbath

I got bought a "course" that was held at Sandown a few years back.

TBH, it was a total waste of time. I'd been out twice previously, once being with Alien from this forum on one of his guided Wombat tours and the amount of information they give you is far less than what you'll learn going out with people willing to teach you in a real world situation.

Sabbath

not a lot of 4wd tracks at sandown :)

It was driver training. They have a few ascents/decents and a simulated river/water crossing. Aswell as rocks, logs etc.

6037067.jpg

7030187.jpg

Last edited:

scithe93

this one at weribee seems decent I reckon il just do it anyway couldn't hurt but yeah I agree il probz learn heaps more going out with a few fellow earthers that would be willing to take it slow and teach a newbie lol

scithe93

coxy when Is it I still haven't got my rig yet just waiting on tax to put the extra to it and get something good rather than limit myself to 5k lol may have found a GQ engine and trans fully rebuilt fresh respray 12 months reg and RWC $8000 just hoping tax return comes in before its sold lol if I got my rig by then il come along though otherwise il catch the next earthers gathering :D

Coxy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hit the link in my post above for details. Mid November so you have plenty of time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk