Melbourne Newbie

Bullstat

Greetings all, I recently purchaced a 2000 model Mitsubishi Triton duel cab (my first 4x4) so I'm far from an expert in all things 4WD. I stumbled accross this site by accident while looking for 4x4 tracks in the Dandenongs, I hope to learn plenty while I'm here.
I'm 38 years old and live in Melbournes south eastern suburbs (Bayside).

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

g'day Bullstat

Welcome to the motley crew.

Your triton is a competant vehicle although it is somewhat of a light weight.

As far as 4WD driving goes, do you see yourself as a day tripper or to be more than that ?

Not much up in the Dandenongs, but if you are looking for something close to Melbourne, you cant go past a play around in the Toolangi State Forest.

When we are having withdrawl symptoms and time is short we go for a trundle up there.

CONTACT ME ON O3 5977 8455 (w) OR BY EMAIL somervilleoptical@bigpond.com if you are interested.

Our group is the Loosenuts 4WD Group , a fairly loose group rather than an official club, it is based basically at Parkdale but we include people from as far away as Echuca and Bendigo

This is an open invitation to anyone of this Forum,.

More so if you haven't had much 4WD experience, you will find most of our crew are patient and helpfull with newcomers , 4WD driving soon becomes a disease !

Safe Travel

Bushnut

Bullstat

Thanks for the welcome fellas, BUSHNUT Ill most probably take you up on that offer but after last saturday getting bogged I realise I need to get some proper recovery equipment & UHF before I get to serious.

Traveller

Welcome Bullstat, hope you enjoy it here.

Bushnut, does your group have any info available?

Jok

BUSHNUT

Welcome Bullstat, hope you enjoy it here.

Bushnut, does your group have any info available?

Jok
G'day Traveller,

Loosenuts is as the name suggests, a pretty loose group, in the fact that we are not a formal club as such, everything is done by verbal agreement and that is about it.

It started basically as a bunch of the guys from the Optical Proffession who had fourbies but had no-one to go out in the bush with- Rule number one, never travel alone unless it is completely neccessary.

We have over thirty mongrels in the group, some only come on our big trip each year like the Simpson, others only come on the weekend trips , others on the day trips.

We cater also for the sookie la la mob as well, we have a cottage up at Lima East near Swanpool, this is where we take our new chums and give them a bit of instruction on how to drive their fourby up in the Strathbogie ranges.

Like I said it started off with people in the Optical Industry, the last thing we wanted is to talk shop around the campfire, so it has been the case of the first one to mention optics is fined $20 bucks and that is put into a worthwhile account like the Christmas party fund ,

Our group now includes people from all walks of life which makes it more interesting.

Our method of communication of events is a group email sent out when someone has an idea or a suggestion for a weekend or a day trip.

It is not an invitation as such because that does carry withit a duty of care, or a guarantee of safety etc. we do not collect fees or have formal elections, the email will simply state that such and such are going up to where ever, plan to be on the road at starting point at such time, a contact phone number is given or email for more details for you to enquire about it and if you want to go you invite yourself along.

Sounds a little different than the usual club thing but it works well, our group has been going for nearly ten years now , in fact we have our have our ten year anniversary this Queens Birthday weekend coming up at O'Tooles Flat, that is where it all started, that will be a site for sore heads, spit roasts , the works.

Most of our group are experienced 4WD owners, and drivers, one of our members did run a desert treking business for a number of years and his knowledge is valued .

We have covered most of the areas in Victoria, we get alot of satisfaction of showing the new chums how to use their 4X4 properly, we suffer fools poorly, most of us have spare camping equipment should you just want to try it out, some of our camps have ankle biters along for the ride although they are growing up fast.

Our next weekend away is up at Lima east on Anzac Day weekend, have got a few litle things to do like mow the lawns , the rest of the time depending on what we feel like doing no fixed plans yet.

If you want to know more Please contact me on 03 5977 8455 (W) or email me on somervilleoptical@bigpond.com

Bushnut ( Ian Simpson )

Last edited: