Mazda Bravo 2.5L TD 1999

mat92m

Cheers mate, you've got me paranoid about mine now reading all this haha, sucks to hear man.
Although i've seen these with well over 300 000kms on them still going.

poite91

Haha just don't use 5th for towing or under 80kph as I have read (I think the previous owners used 5th for there caravan) and the heads have a little bit of history of going but just make sure yours doesn't get hot. I did think the head had a small weep 5000k after I got it because I was using coolant and couldn't find where it was going... I just had a bad run but I still really like the ute and I'm hoping to be getting 350 to 400+ out of my ute the mechanic said the motor looks in good condition and with having a new top end on it fully reconditioned gearbox, new clutch, new radiator and I should be set from now on. Well one would hope so. Lol

poite91

Here it is the roof racks on the ute.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425727586.452475.jpg

I also have a ute back trailer that me and my m8 did a respray this weekend. Now it's all set for the kayaks on it with foam tape on the sides of it. Can't wait to start setting it up with a battery system for camping.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425728134.446407.jpg

I'm also booked into Jacobs farm on the 28th for a 4x4 day trip.

poite91

Little bit of a update I fitted my 2 recovery hooks to the front of Johnny so I'm all set for Jacobs farm this weekend

Last edited:

Darren Mellowship

Hey mate, hows Johnny going these days? I've just finished reading this thread with interest because I recently brought a 2006 Mazda Bravo B4000 and I've been having a great time with it so far. I was a bit worried to read about your towing problem because we have an old Viscount Caravan, but we've towed it a few times now for small trips and had no problems. Mind you, I'm driving an auto and petrol version so I don't know how much a difference that would make.

poite91

Hi haven't been on here in a long time been really busy getting married and stuff. Johnny is going good but had some things happen a guy ran up the back of him about 2 months ago and put me out of work for 10 days... but he is all fixed up now and so am I so thats good and I got a ARB rear step/towbar out of it. It took a bit to get it in from ARB coz they had to make it but all fitted now. Also I had to get a new harmonic balancer for the drive train (think it was from the crash but couldn't clam that...) The fan belt broke last weekend and took out the other belts so I had to fix that but at lest it was at my in laws and they have tools. Also when I was changing the belts I noticed the fan was freewheeling a lot so I got my mechanic to take a look at it and the fan was stuffed so I just got a new one fitted.

Hey mate, hows Johnny going these days? I've just finished reading this thread with interest because I recently brought a 2006 Mazda Bravo B4000 and I've been having a great time with it so far. I was a bit worried to read about your towing problem because we have an old Viscount Caravan, but we've towed it a few times now for small trips and had no problems. Mind you, I'm driving an auto and petrol version so I don't know how much a difference that would make.
The ute you have has a 4L engine and a auto trans so you shouldn't have any of the problems I have had. The big problems I had Where from the previous owner towing in 5th and heads can go on any vehicle especially if the cooling system isn't in good condition.

So have had some mods done I got Led parkers and fitted the brake lights with led globs had to add a bleed resistor to it tho. Also I got a 100w 20" led light bar 7500lm with a 10 degrees beam angle works grate in comparison to the 55w halogen spotty's that where on it. Next on the list is a 2 inch lift kit but that might be a bit of time away.

Last edited:

poite91

So here is some pics from when I went to Jacobs farm. The land cruiser is my fathers but it used to be my brothers. My brother now has a MU-X but we haven't gone away 4x4ing with it yet.

Last edited:

Darren Mellowship

Hey mate, those are nice photos. Glad to hear your rig is going nice and congratulations on your wedding.
Let me know how you go with the 2" lift. I am contemplating doing that myself, I need to read up a little more about it as I am also contemplating putting bigger tyres on but nothing too big.

poite91

Thanks mate was a great day. :) Thanks I like trying to put up pics of what I have been up too but I find I forget to take them 1/2 the time. I will do I'm thinking of going with Pedders Trakryder foam cell shocks and rear springs and just wined up the front 50mm from max drop as one of the guys from the 4x4 club told me to do. He's a mechanic and has worked for all the big name 4x4 companies over the years.

poite91

Little bit of a up date. I have ordered my shocks they are pedders foam cell shocks. I'm going to be buying some leaf springs a little later when I can afford them and just winding up the fount torsion bars.

Darren Mellowship

That's great to hear. I hope you're still having fun with your truck. I got a 2" suspension lift on mine back in January. The kit included west coast suspension foam cell shocks, extended shackles, heavy duty leafs (have a canopy, drawers, lpg tank and do a fair bit of towing), and I got a set of heavy duty torsion bars for the front. The extra lift felt very smooth and I was very happy with it - unfortunately I got into a serious car accident when I went away on a trip and the car is still in repairs (I pick it up on Monday). When towing my caravan my rear tyre (on the Bravo) blew out on a bad section of road, I lost control of the car and ended up jack-knifing the caravan into my rear. Things could have been much worse, and for that I'm grateful, but the damage was surprisingly big to the back end and there was a delay with the delivery of the parts from Japan so it has been a long wait for repairs (about four months!!). Fortunately my insurance company conceded this was excessive, so the excess has been waived for me - saving me a lot of coin.

I can't wait to have my bravo back though. I am going crazy not being able to go camping in my wife's little Micra (a great car btw). We were seriously considering getting a third car this whole time, but the wait is almost over.

Bringing the topic back to you (this is your thread after all), what size tyres are you running on your Bravo? I have kept stock H/T at the moment, but I am contemplating the switch to A/T when I get it back. I would love to go M/T, something like Maxxis Bighorn, but realistically I spend a lot of time towing my caravan that I can't really justify switching mostly for looks and the occasional 4x4.

poite91

That's great to hear. I hope you're still having fun with your truck. I got a 2" suspension lift on mine back in January. The kit included west coast suspension foam cell shocks, extended shackles, heavy duty leafs (have a canopy, drawers, lpg tank and do a fair bit of towing), and I got a set of heavy duty torsion bars for the front. The extra lift felt very smooth and I was very happy with it - unfortunately I got into a serious car accident when I went away on a trip and the car is still in repairs (I pick it up on Monday). When towing my caravan my rear tyre (on the Bravo) blew out on a bad section of road, I lost control of the car and ended up jack-knifing the caravan into my rear. Things could have been much worse, and for that I'm grateful, but the damage was surprisingly big to the back end and there was a delay with the delivery of the parts from Japan so it has been a long wait for repairs (about four months!!). Fortunately my insurance company conceded this was excessive, so the excess has been waived for me - saving me a lot of coin.

I can't wait to have my bravo back though. I am going crazy not being able to go camping in my wife's little Micra (a great car btw). We were seriously considering getting a third car this whole time, but the wait is almost over.

Bringing the topic back to you (this is your thread after all), what size tyres are you running on your Bravo? I have kept stock H/T at the moment, but I am contemplating the switch to A/T when I get it back. I would love to go M/T, something like Maxxis Bighorn, but realistically I spend a lot of time towing my caravan that I can't really justify switching mostly for looks and the occasional 4x4.
I just put the new shocks on the back of the ute wow what a difference it's so much nicer to drive the front feels so spongy in comparison. Didn't have time to put the front shocks on today will Thursday tho.

Oh ouch I'm glad it wasn't a write off!

The tyres I'm running is BFG A/T 225/75/16 it's a little bigger then stock and my speedo is died on with them on. Also they don't affect the gearing and they are legal in SA as we can only have tyres 15mm bigger.

I really like the idea of aggressive A/T tyres like the BFG's they work well in the city where I drive almost everyday and they do really well in everything I have came across.

M/T tyre are great off road but on road they have some draw backs.

Just some pics of what I have. The old shocks are so small in comparison.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

poite91

So the lifted leaf springs have been put on the back foot for now as my father is going to give me his old HF Codan 8528 so I'm going to set my self up for VKS737 when I'm doing bigger trips as I would like to start going away a bit more. So I ordered a second battery tray to set up duel battery system for the HF to run off.

poite91

Ok so I have fitted a battery tray for the second battery system wasn't an easy job had to move the turbo hoes a little and will have to move a ac condenser down a little still. Nothing ever just bolts up...

Still need to buy a isolator and second battery.

Last edited:

Darren Mellowship

Thanks for the updates mate. How did you end up going with the second battery? I've got mine mounted in the tray under my drawers, and I don't think I'd have space under the bonnet with the LPG conversion taking up the extra space.

poite91

Thanks for the updates mate. How did you end up going with the second battery? I've got mine mounted in the tray under my drawers, and I don't think I'd have space under the bonnet with the LPG conversion taking up the extra space.
Sorry for the late reply thing have been really flat out. Yeah LPG gas converts take up some room.. I still haven't finished it all I need is a battery and some wire. Thing have been pretty flat out.

Last edited: