• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Maxxis Big Horn (Maxxis comp test write up)

Micko60turbo

Hi all
Im looking at the new Maxxis Big Horn tyres for the 60 33"x12.5R15 and come across this info on how they handle all conditions well.
Its off the Maxxis site.
Enjoy :D

Performance Report +Colombia -Kumba4x4 *Rally Orinoquia 1.000
Submitted by maxxisrally on 11 May, 2011 - 01:27.
For the Baja Orinoquia competition, our team, composed by Alexander Di Colloredo, Rodolfo Rueda and Arturo Vela, opted for Maxxis Bighorn tires in 33x12,5 R15 size. Also carry 2 extra spare tires

This is the second longest single day competition covering about 1200 kms of travel, is essential to be calm in any eventuality. The cold pressure was calibrated to 24 pounds back and forth, and that it is a mixed terrain, where we would find both stones, as mud galore, endless grasslands, long journey on rough terrain, the tires become key components of suspension damping. Incredible contributions to the overall vehicle in competition. In addition, due to the difficult conditions across the field, we knew from the beginning that would never be speeds of more than 90 km/h, so we didn't ran too many risks having the pressure that low.

From the beginning, in the preface to the classification, the Bighorn began to demonstrate its capabilities. This was carried out in a field of tall grasses and wetlands, where the grip was essential. Without much effort, our tires clung perfectly to the "track", which allowed us to qualify in fourth place, without leaving the track and lose control of the vehicle as if it happened to other participants.

Already in the race, the first obstacle facing us was a long journey of wet earth and intermittent deep pools, in this type of terrain the Bighorn tires quickly evacuated water from the floor allowing exceptional grip where some of our competitors lost control of their vehicles. They seemed to skate over the water at high speeds. Then we continue with winding roads of loose earth; here Maxxis Bighorn Tire continued its flawless performance achieving surprising performance that almost made us wonder if in fact the land was not really pavement. For nearly 150 kms of narrow roads of loose soil, maintained an average speed of 90 km/h, without drifting into any corner, without taking too much risk, but without slackening our pace of competition in no time.

A mid-career, we expected the greatest obstacle to competition: a stretch of about 250 kms of almost virgin, thick forests, endless mud and wet clay hills in general, a landscape that reminded us of the trial courts or rock crawling (to which we are accustomed). What we did not understand was a dimension of this challenge: 250Km where the speed at which you advance not exceed 10 km/h. Here, our tires proved their excellent performance, both in the mud, as in the slippery clay. His performance on the rocks and logs could not be better, because we not have a single puncture.

Finally, we had approximately 100 kms of broad highways where we should be careful with our tires, and that, since the all-terrain tires, it is assumed that his grip on pavement is not the best. However, the race proved we were wrong, we knew we were on top, but seeing us made by our nearest rival, there was no choice but to accelerate at full throttle, only to realize that despite having been designed for road, the Bighorn are versatile enough for its performance in the surface is comparable with that of many AT tires.

Our team, Kumba 4x4, is not accustomed to such extensive reports to evaluate the performance of the tires we use. However, on this occasion we feel compelled to do so, because without them we would not have made it to the finish first (but then we were sent by the GPS penalties to third place). Maxxis Tires Thanks for being part of our team.

Arturo Vela
Kumba 4x4 Maxxis Team

ball12

hmmmmmmm sounds like a promotional plug to me. no doubt that bighorns are a great tyre for the price you pay. but what isnt mentioned is the vehicle they are on, the engine and power its putting out etc. a set of ht will clear mud if they are having 1000hp put through them spinning upwards of 100klm/hr......... so its hard to say that they only finished because of these tyres. id like to know more facts about the vehicle, suspension setup, power at the wheels etc before i took that report as fact.

Micko60turbo

hmmmmmmm sounds like a promotional plug to me. no doubt that bighorns are a great tyre for the price you pay. but what isnt mentioned is the vehicle they are on, the engine and power its putting out etc. a set of ht will clear mud if they are having 1000hp put through them spinning upwards of 100klm/hr......... so its hard to say that they only finished because of these tyres. id like to know more facts about the vehicle, suspension setup, power at the wheels etc before i took that report as fact.
I only put it up so people could see that a normal 4x4 could use these tyres. Nothing to do with compertion. i have nothing to do with Maxxis just thought it was an iteresting read.
Micko

:D

ball12

i wasnt implying that you put that up for promotional purposes, i meant that it reads as if maxxis made that read like a promotional story.