Maps?

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Just a short question ppl!
I have had the Hemma maps put in to my gps with oziexplorer. Are these maps middle of the range or can you get better or is it just personal prefrance. I know it seems like a silly question with Otooles in 5 sleeps. :D:D:D

4X4

Just a short question ppl!
I have had the Hemma maps put in to my gps with oziexplorer. Are these maps middle of the range or can you get better or is it just personal prefrance. I know it seems like a silly question with Otooles in 5 sleeps. :D:D:D

The Hema maps that cover the High country are 1:250000 scale and are more of an overview. I prefer a scale of 1:25000 which has a lot more detail. I will have both with me at O'Tooles and be able to show you the difference.

cptmud

For ease of use, i like the rooftop maps, but i also use natmaps, and some fester maps, which have been circulating around a few forums.

kamil

Hi, I have just bought Oziexplorer and I need good map of Australia for our 12 months trip around OZ. I have few paper Hema maps, but I would like to download a good map of OZ from net. Can you advice where shall I download them from.
Thank You
Kamil

Vegetoast

Hi, I have just bought Oziexplorer and I need good map of Australia for our 12 months trip around OZ. I have few paper Hema maps, but I would like to download a good map of OZ from net. Can you advice where shall I download them from.
Thank You
Kamil

I found one on pirate bay 2 days ago. 800mb. its ok for free but I prefer my google maps I've downloaded using GoogleOzi only thing is I've got 32gigs of google maps in 3 different scales and is mostly NSW. My Gps wont take a bigger SD card. I've got 2 different scaled hema maps that have good detail but on a 7inch screen you cant see much of the map best on the laptop.
Edit: now I have a high res 7inch screen they look great!

Last edited:

Brisey

Thank You
Kamil

You can scan your paper maps & configure them to be used with oziexplorer. The hardes part is scanning.

All good mapshops will have digital maps & most have the oziexplorer configuration files. You can also buy maps from the oziexplorer website.

Cheers

Bri

Vegetoast

You can scan your paper maps & configure them to be used with oziexplorer. The hardes part is scanning.

All good mapshops will have digital maps & most have the oziexplorer configuration files. You can also buy maps from the oziexplorer website.

Cheers

Bri

I found scanning to be hard and time consuming but if your got a high megapixel camera you can take a photo of the map and use all 9 points to calibrate. i used google earth with elevation exaggerate at 0 to get the gps co-ordinates. it worked well

billolga

Cheers

Bri

You can scan overlapping sections of the map & MICROSOFT ICE will join them all together.

aarond

I used NSW maps from this site
Map stuff

Until i got an amazing 1.25k topo from work which is the same as the paper maps but on 1 big sheet... its a 5gb file lol.

i also found on the net somewhere a 1.250k Australia map.. but yeh between the 1.25k one from work, the 1.100k map from the site listed above the the 1.250k.. im set!

Brisey

Last week I found a new digital mapset from Natmap in the local mapshop. They are 1:100K covering most of australia. Good value at $40.00

Cheers

Bri

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
I also prefer the 'Rooftop' maps, have far more detail in my opinion.

Plus much easier to read if you have crap eyesight like me....:(

boobook

What are you using in Qld that are not much chop? Also give me a location and I'll put up a few map pics.

Also have you checked out the free 250K topo map from Memory Map. There aren't many tracks in Australia that aren't in that. Or should I say not many that I have found.....

Better still. Go to Memory-map.com.au get the free PC version, get a free account, go to the approximate area you are interested in, and click on DMS. You can get any maps available for that area for free, or for a free 10 day trial. Don't bother with the EO topo, it is a dumbed down version of the free one that you have to pay for. Go figure.

Last edited:

Swaggie

. Don't bother with the EO topo, it is a dumbed down version of the free one that you have to pay for. Go figure.

Hi mate

I was waiting to see what some may think of this software and at nearly one hundred bucks for the privilege..

Although people that have bought it speak highly of it...

Cheers.

boobook

I am just going by the Austopo free map on Memory Map which is a version of the free 250K maps. the EO topo is also heavily based on the same maps. Same tracks same date of maps, same everything. Even same scale (250K, not 200K).

The big problem I found is that when they made it they left out lakes and semi perminant water holes. Also the town names are all the same size and small (the name for Licola is the same size as Sale etc. It make it hard to read.

In terms of accuracy they are all the same as far as I can see because they are from the same data. Using Memory Map, their free Austopo is clearly better and free. There may not be an easy alternative that is up to date for Ozi in which case the EO topo may be an acceptable solution. I reported the issues to EO and they kinda half fixed the lake thing in the 2015 version but the town names are really annoying ad hard to read while on the move. I have seen many complaints about this so they may well address it in the next release.

It may be different in the Ozi version or they may have even fixed it by now.

Last edited: