Mapping on 7" Android tablet

boobook

My car, a Land Crusier 200 has a grill/mesh panel above the navigator on the dashboard. It pops out with a bit of force. I bought a spare one for about $60 from Toyota and am mounting the touring stuff to that - HF radio head, phone mount, and VHF / UHF ham radio head etc. Plenty of space for more. Everything has a connector so it can be removed when I'm not going away and it can all go back to standard with nothing in the way of the windscreen etc and nothing to show. It takes about 2 mins to swap over.

CaptainBanana

My car, a Land Crusier 200 has a grill/mesh panel above the navigator on the dashboard. It pops out with a bit of force. I bought a spare one for about $60 from Toyota and am mounting the touring stuff to that - HF radio head, phone mount, and VHF / UHF ham radio head etc. Plenty of space for more. Everything has a connector so it can be removed when I'm not going away and it can all go back to standard with nothing in the way of the windscreen etc and nothing to show. It takes about 2 mins to swap over.
Your 200 has a fair bit more dash real estate than my jeep I just punched 2 hole straight through the face of the dashboard as pictured earlier

a1bert

I was a little tempted to get the ram mounts aircraft mount and then hang a 10 inch tablet off a front seat bolts and then use my existing ram mounts for the phone
I thought i would do some thing similar, but when i looked there was no way i could bolt it to the seat mount, Ford Ranger

CaptainBanana

I thought i would do some thing similar, but when i looked there was no way i could bolt it to the seat mount, Ford Ranger
You could make a bracket or weld up a little bit of a adaptor to allow you to fix it anywhere you want down there really I mean you could Mount it through the transmission tunnel if you like.

TimNWVic

My car, a Land Crusier 200 has a grill/mesh panel above the navigator on the dashboard. It pops out with a bit of force.
Same situation with my Ranger, the dash tray I drilled into is just a cheap (I hope) plastic insert that pops in/out. When I sell the vehicle I can replace with a new one if I feel the need.

Being a ram mount I can remove it all in seconds just leaving the ball behind. I'll run a usb cable up through the dash and out behind the mount so it will also have a short usb lead laying there next to the ram ball.

My John Deere has threaded inserts for ram mounts on the cab frame, I wish Ford had put one or two in the windscreen pillar of the Ranger. I might pull the trim off and see if I can add one there to hold my phone in an X-Grip mount.

sharkcaver

I was a little tempted to get the ram mounts aircraft mount and then hang a 10 inch tablet off a front seat bolts and then use my existing ram mounts for the phone
That's what I have done in 2 vehicles now. The seat bolt stem does need some support to stop "wobble". I added a few M4 nutserts to the console to bolt a supporting bracket to:

20200526_100520(resized).jpg

That said, max already had a holey dash. What's a few more.....haha.

EDIT: I forgot, this vehicle I didn't use the seat bolt stem. The base for the stem is screwed to the transmission tunnel.

CaptainBanana

That's what I have done in 2 vehicles now. The seat bolt stem does need some support to stop "wobble". I added a few M4 nutserts to the console to bolt a supporting bracket to:

View attachment 69767

That said, max already had a holey dash. What's a few more.....haha.

EDIT: I forgot, this vehicle I didn't use the seat bolt stem. The base for the stem is screwed to the transmission tunnel.
I'm rather tempted to do this myself as it's actually cheaper to buy a Snappy 10 inch tablet that is to buy a Snappy 7 or 8 inch tablet

sharkcaver

I'm rather tempted to do this myself as it's actually cheaper to buy a Snappy 10 inch tablet that is to buy a Snappy 7 or 8 inch tablet
A 10" tab running ozi android in portrait mode gives you all the detail you could ever need, and I run mine on the odometer screen too which consumes some of the map view. A 10" does consume some real estate though, but if you can find the room, you wont look back.

20200914_170350.jpg

CaptainBanana

My jeep is purely used for going away so I'm not too fussed if I lose a little bit of convenience or practicality by having a bigger tablet also you can see the 8 inch in the photo I put up earlier it's not taking up that much real estate really. I think this will probably be something I do in the not-too-distant future because the 8 inch Samsung is extremely sluggish whilst its usable it's painful.

Warby

I picked up an 11" chromebook from officeworks this week for ~$320 (they price matched the Amazon AU price), which is "convertible" in that you can flip the screen completely around to use it as a big tablet. This could be another option.. It's an awesome little piece of kit so far, very fast and responsive, and can run most Android apps.

a1bert