Map of Explorers of Australia

discomatt

Because all the Dutch did was nail a few plates to a tree and sail off thinking the land was to arid to be useful
I have read the book “ Girt” by David Hunt while on this trip, a good light hearted read about early Australian history and the people who first came here
I have even got to see the original plate from Dirk Hartog Island on this trip as well, it’s at a small museum at the old telegraph station at Hamlin Pool, also same fascinating ecology there

Last edited:

boobook

Very Cool... but how accurate would the route be that the Explorers took?
It does look like there are some correct points along the way, eg for Stuart and B&W but who knows? It may be interpretive, but it is a great map.

Anyway, in those days they used Hema HX1 or 2 so who could blame them for inaccurate tracking? They probably couldn't get it to work like everyone else after them. LOL

Kippie

This is a great map, showing the sea and land explorers from 1519 to 1901.

I downloaded it, geo referenced it and put it in my Memory Map collection.

It makes me wonder why we aren't all speaking Dutch.

The Dutch were not interested in Australia. They sailed south across the Atlantic, rounded the Cape and then went eastward across the southern Indian Ocean using the prevailing winds before turning north along Australia's west coast in order to arrive at the then Dutch East Indies, today's Indonesian islands where they have established colonies for several centuries.
In a few cases they timed their northward turns late and ended up too close to the coast. Hence the many shipwrecks along the WA coast.

cam04

What an amazing map. For the record the family who founded HEMA are dutch also - Korsts. I'm related by marriage distantly. We also built their first office block at Springwood.

LongRoad2Go

I like the comment on the map at Kings Sound W.A: 'Dampier was here in the "Cygnet" with buccaneers in 1688'

It sounds like something someone would scrawl as graffiti on a rock.:D

(The Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese were more interested in spices - literally worth more than gold. So bumping into Oz showed nothing they were after. The French were fashionably late, so it was up to good old Lt. Cook to plant the flag ... we were certainly lucky ... a 'lucky country'.)

Strange the map got it wrong: on Cook's First Voyage (1768-1771) he was actually a Lieutenant not a Captain. He later became a Commander and then a Captain.

Last edited: