Mansfield police again.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
They were preliminary breather tested, so if one of them blew over what next

Jump on the back of my bike I am taking you to the closest police station ??? not against The Whole breath testing but it seems there would be some issues following through with it,
I believe all that were tested were alcohol and drug free.
So what's your point?
Looks like the cops had to find something to justify what they reckon was saving lives?

Patriot

Administrator
OK.Quote me stats of deaths injuries accidents in Australia for the past ten, twenty years, from the vehicles you reckon should be off the road because of modifications.

Don't just give an unsubstantiated opinion.
Give me factual stats.
Hey mate, I think we all need to relax a bit. I am not an engineer but you don't have to go 4WD too much to see how easy it is for someone to trip over and roll their vehicle down the embankment. I've felt that 'oh f#$%$#' moment when you get a little bit off kilter and I've been very thankful that the CoG remained between the wheels, because when it goes over so do you! If it is on the edge of the cliff then it could be all over, red rover.

The law is the law. If we aren't happy with it the best thing to do is to take it up with a local member of parliament or the regulating body. Getting snarky here won't achieve much. :)

I have reached out to the insurance council before for details on 4WD accidents. Apart from the anecdotal story that Newcastle has the most written off 4WDs in the country, I haven't been able to get much info. Not a lot of people go off road though so every accident or death is felt a little more keenly.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey mate, I think we all need to relax a bit. I am not an engineer but you don't have to go 4WD too much to see how easy it is for someone to trip over and roll their vehicle down the embankment. I've felt that 'oh f#$%$#' moment when you get a little bit off kilter and I've been very thankful that the CoG remained between the wheels, because when it goes over so do you! If it is on the edge of the cliff then it could be all over, red rover.

The law is the law. If we aren't happy with it the best thing to do is to take it up with a local member of parliament or the regulating body. Getting snarky here won't achieve much. :)

I have reached out to the insurance council before for details on 4WD accidents. Apart from the anecdotal story that Newcastle has the most written off 4WDs in the country, I haven't been able to get much info. Not a lot of people go off road though so every accident or death is felt a little more keenly.
Hey James. Rolling over or having accidents while 4wd is basically a driver error
People, including police , who say these modified, lifted vehicles cause death , injuries,accidents,etc on our roads are not quite right.
You are talking off road?????

Patriot

Administrator
If you lift the vehicle, you lift the CoG, making it easier to roll the vehicle. That is it isn't it? Same same with rooftop tents and people putting all their gear on a roof rack.

Accidents are just that, accidents. But the standards are there to make vehicles safe.

Deaths are 2x in the US per 100,000 of population. It ranked between Chile and Columbia - that doesn't seem right, but there vehicle legislation is very different to ours.

In 29 years, ours has decreased from 13.7 per 100,000 down to 4.68, whereas the US was 17.9 down to 10.99. That is amazing considering all of the safety devices that have been introduced in the last 30 years.

We are .61 per 100,00 registered vehicles compared to 1.21, meaning that you are almost twice as likely to die in a registered vehicle.

1650260584908.png

A lot more dangerous in the NT. Surprised to see Vic as second safest.

1650260678921.png

1650260704012.png

It's a lot more dangerous in very remote areas. Hard to work out what this means?

How many high speed single occupant? How many die awaiting treatment? Not sure, but some interesting data.

I can't find a breakdown by type of vehicle, but it would be fair to say that Australia has safer vehicles which means a lot of lives saved.
If Australia had road fatalities at the same rate as the US, it would be an extra 1599 people dying each year, which would be very traumatic.
Don't forget that it isn't just fatalities, it is also those who are injured. Some of those injuries are life long.

We all need safer vehicles. I would like to think everyone can agree with that.

Attachments

• international_comparions_2019.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Triton14

@Patriot, I think the stats will be lost in the one sided thinking.

I have agreed with Roger on many things but dont get this one sided view here.

At the end of the day, they are not road stats but real people.

Just follow the rules & there are no issues.

There is no argument, ADR & vehicle standard rules are there in black & white & in place for a reason, if you dont like it then form a group & protest(but apply for permission 1st)

Follow them or dont!

If you dont then face the consequences.

Simples

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you lift the vehicle, you lift the CoG, making it easier to roll the vehicle. That is it isn't it? Same same with rooftop tents and people putting all their gear on a roof rack.

Accidents are just that, accidents. But the standards are there to make vehicles safe.

Deaths are 2x in the US per 100,000 of population. It ranked between Chile and Columbia - that doesn't seem right, but there vehicle legislation is very different to ours.

In 29 years, ours has decreased from 13.7 per 100,000 down to 4.68, whereas the US was 17.9 down to 10.99. That is amazing considering all of the safety devices that have been introduced in the last 30 years.

We are .61 per 100,00 registered vehicles compared to 1.21, meaning that you are almost twice as likely to die in a registered vehicle.

View attachment 73380

A lot more dangerous in the NT. Surprised to see Vic as second safest.

View attachment 73381

View attachment 73382

It's a lot more dangerous in very remote areas. Hard to work out what this means?

How many high speed single occupant? How many die awaiting treatment? Not sure, but some interesting data.

I can't find a breakdown by type of vehicle, but it would be fair to say that Australia has safer vehicles which means a lot of lives saved.
If Australia had road fatalities at the same rate as the US, it would be an extra 1599 people dying each year, which would be very traumatic.
Don't forget that it isn't just fatalities, it is also those who are injured. Some of those injuries are life long.

We all need safer vehicles. I would like to think everyone can agree with that.
I found your statistics a little irrelevant to booking 4wd's, however your first paragraph actually hit the nail right on the head.
So how many people who drive with roof top tents and heavy gear on roof racks,etc. get booked?
I would bet the majority would be breaking the law in relation to weights allowed on vehicles, their rack limits and their roof limits????
If you do research on allowable weights you would be surprised how many people are breaking the law.
And that does not take into account what dangerous goods, like fuel ,gas tanks, etc. correct tie down, etc.
And all these vehicles are a danger on our roads.
Are they being booked to keep us safe.
Hmmm!

Toyasaurus

Patriot.

Car`s are very safe, of course they could be improved.

What need`s to be improved first is teaching and training young and new drivers, HOW TO DRIVE.

It`s already proven to work.
In NSW, some years ago they changed the way learner`s on motor cycle`s had to be trained before they would be allowed on the road.
This was because of the very high death and serious injury rate with young people on bikes.
2 yrs later they found that it had improved by something like 80+%.

I think that sort of training would see a massive improvement in the road toll.

Patriot

Administrator
Our son is on his Ls. My Dad was amused at how much harder it was for me to get my licence back in the day. When he got his licence, the local police officer asked him to drive down to the shops by himself to get him a packet of smokes. He came back OK so he got his license. They now have to do 200 hours, which is a big improvement.

Corndoggy

Illegal is illegal, insurance companies are insurance companies, good luck getting money out of them, and quite sure the driver would be prosecuted for driving a illegally modified car on public roads if the cops are involved.

Mick_Marsh

Really? I suggest you check your insurance.

Dear insurer, is my car covered because I made illegal mods, and it's not allowed on the road because it's not roadworthy as a result? Am I covered?
I got better.
I got legal advice.
You can too. Much better than social media opinion.

Corndoggy

Forget your illegal modifications.

Driver nabbed allegedly speeding at 251km/h in Melbourne.​

But its ok. Car was legal with no modifications. So no problems there. Oh yes, she could have also been on her phone. Maybe she had done advanced drivers training. Seeing there was no accident just let her off.

cam04

OK.Quote me stats of deaths injuries accidents in Australia for the past ten, twenty years, from the vehicles you reckon should be off the road because of modifications.

Don't just give an unsubstantiated opinion.
Give me factual stats.
I haven’t read back to where this started. But it is a fact last I checked that the number one killer of humans in cars is single vehicles ‘failing to negotiate a corner’. Read into that what you want about high COG vehicles with crap rubber. 4wd’s are just terrible when compared to SUV’s and cars in that department. I don’t want to get into mods, because well modded race vehicles ‘look’ a whole lot like back yard modded death traps. The difference is in the detail.
There is the law, there is the odd grey area, and there are guys that are simply taking the pi$$, and frankly they can have what’s coming to them if they aren’t getting placarded. I don’t know how many times I’ve read in here blokes saying body lifts are a waste of time, but if you want a dynamically better way of adding bigger rubber you’ll travel a long way to find one. Just thought I’d throw that in.