Mansfield police again.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
OK. I have been driving on roads for fifty years licenced and a lttle more before that.
Question for those who reckon having modified, unroadworthy, unregistered cars,etc. causes big problems.
Of the thousands of vehicle accidents in Australia each year.
Of the thousands of deaths, injuries, etc in Australia each year.
How many of these accidents were as a result of modified,unroadworthy, unregistered cars,etc.?
Logic and stats, yes logic and stats tells me , virtually none.
It's the driver behind the wheel that needs to be taken off the road, not the car.
Anyone care to enlighten me?
Maybe people should stand up and fight for more police presence on our roads to be out there and catch the real killers.
Cameras, booking people parked up does not save lives.

Rusty Panels

I reckon anyone who puts massive tyres and gigantic lifts on their vehicles has to know that they're eventually going to get pulled over for it. The majority of us who modify our vehicles do so within reason. When you raise your car to the point where you need a ladder to get in and out of it you have probably overstepped the mark. If you want to drive a monster truck on the road legally then maybe you need to move to a country with laws that allow it. Our road rules are tighter for safety reasons and it is the job of the police to enforce the laws that are in place.
I would also guess that many of these highly modded 4wd's would handle like greased pigs particularly in an emergency situation.

Albynsw

I don’t really have a problem with it but it is typical that the soft touches bring in the revenue and the difficult scenarios largely get left and not dealt with.
I mistakenly drove my box trailer unregistered and the fine was $1200. Watch one of those highway patrol TV shows and you can be a repeat offender who is over the limit with no licence and a bald tyre carrying a bag of ice and you get a slap on the wrist by the magistrate.

That is how our system works.

Rusty Panels

It's the driver behind the wheel that needs to be taken off the road, not the car.
I couldn't agree more Roger! But, there has to be a line where modifications become illegal otherwise you'd have all sorts of rubbish on the roads. I worked with a Kiwi many years ago who showed me several photos of vehicles he'd owned in NZ. They all had massive wheels and tyres that stuck out way past the guards. He told me that they were legal provided they didn't stick out more than 1 foot (300mm) past the guard. That was in the 70's so I'd imagine the laws may have altered over there.
I also agree that the cops would be better off catching actual morons and not someone parked up on the street but again, laws are laws.
It's ridiculous but in my near on 50 years of driving I think I've only seen the cops pull up 1 single dipstick who was driving like an idiot. It's true there's never a cop around when you want one.

discomatt

Its easy to fly under the radar when it comes to the police, years ago I was driving home through Mansfield after 4 or 5 days in the HC, I went past a police check where they had about 10 4wds pulled over, my first thought was oh no here we go, they just waved me through even though I have a few mods they would find questionable.
Why did I get waved through?
Simple, the tires are small compared to what gets pulled over, the tires are well inside the guards and it only has a 2 inch lift and I had cleaned the mud from all lights and number plates.
Pretty easy to stay on the road and have a capable 4wd

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you compare safety, stability, road grip in wet ,etc. of 4wd's against ordinary sedans what is the safer car to drive?
So if we take that one step further, 4wd's should be taken off the road.
And by the looks of it, that is the way it is going. Lock up and control more bush and no need for as many 4wd's with bullbars (people killers they say) driving around the suburbs.
Maybe we have to look at all of this from a different perspective.

Ol' Harley

Simple, the tires are small compared to what gets pulled over, the tires are well inside the guards and it only has a 2 inch lift and I had cleaned the mud from all lights and number plates.

I used to think this about the tyres being well inside the guards. While that's important, what matters - and this was explained to me by a former RTA inspector - is the wheel track. Basically the width from the centre of one tyre to the other.

I can't speak for other states, but in NSW, there's a pdf file online which explains it better than I can as far as NSW is concerned.

RMS Guidelines alternative wheels & tyres

Wheel track is mentioned from the bottom of page two. Not saying I'm an expert, but things are never as simple as we think.

Just for info.

CTL

Hey @rogerazz vehicle standards are vehicle standards, modify a vehicle outside of them and face the consequences, simple. Those cops with their offroad bikes were all over the high country behind Mansfield this weekend. Photos on social media everywhere.
They would have had so many idiots to pick from to give a ticket to, why not pick the easier targets than listen to some idiot wanting to have an argument with you?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey @rogerazz vehicle standards are vehicle standards, modify a vehicle outside of them and face the consequences, simple. Those cops with their offroad bikes were all over the high country behind Mansfield this weekend. Photos on social media everywhere.
They would have had so many idiots to pick from to give a ticket to, why not pick the easier targets than listen to some idiot wanting to have an argument with you?
I thought it was all about saving lives.
Not making their jobs easier.
Yeah. The me me generation is growing and spreading.

CTL

Looks like LuketheDrifta’s son’s vehicle was finally defected. And Dad is having a huge whinge on social media :rolleyes:

A3561254-8475-4555-9367-B2FD10BAE8A0.jpeg

boobook

I don't know Hilux models very well, but isn't that a IFS model with a solid front axle? According to Facebook, it didn't have an engineering certification. Does anyone know if the hilux is supposed to be IFS?

Anyway I know why Drifta stuff is 2 to 3 times what it should be now.

Albynsw

I don't know Hilux models very well, but isn't that a IFS model with a solid front axle? According to Facebook, it didn't have an engineering certification. Does anyone know if the hilux is supposed to be IFS?

Anyway I know why Drifta stuff is 2 to 3 times what it should be now.

Yes they are ifs only so definitely a major modification

smwhiskey

OK. I have been driving on roads for fifty years licenced and a lttle more before that.
Question for those who reckon having modified, unroadworthy, unregistered cars,etc. causes big problems.
Of the thousands of vehicle accidents in Australia each year.
Of the thousands of deaths, injuries, etc in Australia each year.
How many of these accidents were as a result of modified,unroadworthy, unregistered cars,etc.?
Logic and stats, yes logic and stats tells me , virtually none.
Anyone care to enlighten me?
Maybe people should stand up and fight for more police presence on our roads to be out there and catch the real killers.
Cameras, booking people parked up does not save lives.
Check out the Patriot Campers youtube site and watch the video where they went to get a modified 47 series cruiser engineered (the video where they failed) and watch what happens when people get the modifications completely wrong and how dangerous it is.

Now just imagine if that same 4WD had been driven on the road (without engineering) and you were coming the other way. Better to get them off the road before they cause an accident than wait for the statistics

I'm not saying that every illegally modified 4WD out there is a lethal accident waiting to happen but just from what I can see out on the roads at the moment, theres a percentage of people out there who watch (for example) 4WD247 videos and think they need massive lift, big tires, difflocks, front and back barwork, metal canopy and awning to have a "tough" rig and do "tough" tracks and then go and do the modifications themselves based on what a bunch of numpties on an internet forum tells them they can do. Not a good combination

phs

Lots of killer 4wd's up Mansfield way today.
No alcohol no drugs, so let's get stuck into them. Be careful what you wish for because you may be driving an unroadworthy 4wd.
Have you checked yours for weight, etc. etc. lately?
They were preliminary breather tested, so if one of them blew over what next

Jump on the back of my bike I am taking you to the closest police station ??? not against The Whole breath testing but it seems there would be some issues following through with it,

cfish

Its certainly possible for a Patrol or Landcruiser to be engineered for a big lift and 35" tyres but there is no way to do the same with a hilux, anyone with a just a little bit of knowledge would know that the first time they see the vehicle on youtube it's dodgy. You used to be able to do an axle swap from a taller vehicle as a workaround to run bigger tyres but that loophole was closed years ago.

Patriot

Administrator
I've been to the US and the rules are a lot more relaxed there and I've seen some wicked rigs - BUT how safe are they. I think our laws are probably a bit too stringent, but most of the regulations are for safety. A 5 inch lift isn't really required. It lifts the CoG and makes a rollover more likely.

I think the tyres need to be within the chassis so that it contains mud from going everywhere.

It seems pretty excessive and unsafe. I would be keen to know who did the lift and tyres? Was it the owner?

CTL

They were preliminary breather tested, so if one of them blew over what next

Jump on the back of my bike I am taking you to the closest police station ??? not against The Whole breath testing but it seems there would be some issues following through with it,
Police have been riding motorcycles and doing breath tests for as long as breath tests have been around, just saying :oops:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Check out the Patriot Campers youtube site and watch the video where they went to get a modified 47 series cruiser engineered (the video where they failed) and watch what happens when people get the modifications completely wrong and how dangerous it is.

Now just imagine if that same 4WD had been driven on the road (without engineering) and you were coming the other way. Better to get them off the road before they cause an accident than wait for the statistics

I'm not saying that every illegally modified 4WD out there is a lethal accident waiting to happen but just from what I can see out on the roads at the moment, theres a percentage of people out there who watch (for example) 4WD247 videos and think they need massive lift, big tires, difflocks, front and back barwork, metal canopy and awning to have a "tough" rig and do "tough" tracks and then go and do the modifications themselves based on what a bunch of numpties on an internet forum tells them they can do. Not a good combination
OK.Quote me stats of deaths injuries accidents in Australia for the past ten, twenty years, from the vehicles you reckon should be off the road because of modifications.

Don't just give an unsubstantiated opinion.
Give me factual stats.