Maintenance when ute about 7 years old (previously ARB Canopy vent leak)

John U

Howdy Earth Experts,

I've just noticed that there's a pretty constant leak through the vent in the roof of my ARB canopy. The ute is parked outside so it probably drips through every time it rains. I'd e guessing that this is probably a fairly common issue and others may have had/resolved it previously.

Is this a job for bulk amounts of sikaflex about the vent? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced? Should I move to a drier climate?

The canopy/vent was installed in 2014 so approximately 7 years old.

Triton14

Sit inside with a torch & get someone with a hose to spray the canopy.
To me its to only real way to see whats happening live.

John U

So I pulled out the canopy vent and the gasket around it looked pretty shot. It was actually quite nicely cut out and fitted but that is deffo where the leak was coming from. I've Sikaflexed the around the top piece and screwed it all back together. Lets see how that goes.

As I have more leaks and there are more things that will require a touch up I have renamed the thread and will be have a few more questions to ask.

Next question, my ute is outside all the time. It has a plastic ARB ascent canopy. I am thinking of putting some Turtle Wax or similar on it to give it some protection. Has anyone used this type of stuff on a plastic canopy? How'd it go?

Lost1?

I don't wax my ute as pin striping is a common enough event pre covid. But any paint protection would be better than none if you want to do that. I would say crack on.

John U

I don't wax my ute as pin striping is a common enough event pre covid. But any paint protection would be better than none if you want to do that. I would say crack on.
Excellent.

Sides are the same for me. Just concerned about giving some kind of preservation from the beating dished out by the Australian sun. Will crack on.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Think the sika will solve your leak ok, provided it was enough to form a new 'gasket'.

I'd avoid waxes, they really are a pain if ever painting is required, and newer tech is far better.
Try the Mothers CMX ceramic coating, it's available at Supercheap Aust and Autobarn.
Usually about $60 a bottle, and that will do a few vehicles 2 coats easy.

Look for SCA 20% of sales (almost any public holiday weekend), or Autobarn sometimes have it on special too, last lot 6 bottles (plus some other Mothers gear) I bought from there for $42 each.
Wash immaculately, polish up by buff machine or by hand to remove any marks etc.
Use some clean new microfible cloths to apply and remove, simple directions on the bottle.

2 or 3 coats, you can just keep layering it now and then to refresh.
I do inside car door jambs, engine bay etc too.
Dirt sheds easily, even those little bird sh!ts that dry and usually need scratching off just wipe off with a light wipe of the finger (hey, they are dry !!).

I hardly need to wash the cars fully, maybe once a month), just jet hose them off and then a damp microfibre cloth to dry and remove water marks.