Madigan Line...... Yes........ Again

Mini

Hey Neil (Watts), such a shame you got locked down Neil in Vic, left you a few notes around the traps like Old Andado, Camp xx as well as Camp 16 on the Hay where I found my own message in the older book from August 2016. Being gazumped two years in a row mate is a real bummer.

Mini

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
it is a nice country drive from Kulgera to Finke

Sounds like a great trip Mini.
How could it not be ? A great drive through beautiful country, and beaut camping.

Did you see and do the detour to Lamberts Geographic centre of Oz ?
Turnoff 19km west of Finke and about 14km in.
Pretty good spot to camp in there too.

How was Old Andado ?
Hope there's a caretaker there looking after things now.
In recent posts I've seen it sounded like it was almost abandoned, gathering desert dust, and falling into a poor state.
Always interesting to walk through, always something new seen and noted, plus the scones and cuppa for morning tea were always welcome.

Mini

Good morning Les, No, did not go into to Lamberts Geographic Centre. I was aware of it from earlier trips and know where it is but timing was wrong. If time was unlimited (sort of) I would have liked to spend more time at "Old Andado". There was no-one caretaking at Old Andado, however, on the drive in and not too far away, there was a Toyota and trailer filling blue water tubs from a bore and thought this might be the caretaker. I later observed this vehicle and trailer park out the front of the cottage but only for a short time and soon after it departed. I did not see the driver, nor the tubs or any evidence of water drop off so am left guessing. I would love to read every entry and soak up the feel of Molly's cottage a little deeper.

Hopefully it is just a week or two without a caretaker there as I fear it will deteriorate further and it would be such a shame to let this living shrine disapear or fenced in or out. Forget the scones and cuppa Les, me thinks those days are over sadly. Visited the grave and said a prayer for that tough and lovely lady.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
There was no-one caretaking at Old Andado, however, on the drive in and not too far away, there was a Toyota and trailer filling blue water tubs from a bore and thought this might be the caretaker. I later observed this vehicle and trailer park out the front of the cottage but only for a short time and soon after it departed. I did not see the driver, nor the tubs or any evidence of water drop off so am left guessing.

Shame about the lack of caretaker for sure, that might have been Peter (?) from Andado Stn down the road, he leases Old Andado for stock grazing, maybe he was watering the garden ?

Really hope whoever is part of the Old Andado trust gets some caretaker offers.

https://www.oldandado.com.au/caretakers/

The faceache page has had posts in March / April, so someone is out there for them in cyberland.

rob_macca67

Shame about the lack of caretaker for sure, that might have been Peter (?) from Andado Stn down the road, he leases Old Andado for stock grazing, maybe he was watering the garden ?

Really hope whoever is part of the Old Andado trust gets some caretaker offers.

https://www.oldandado.com.au/caretakers/

The faceache page has had posts in March / April, so someone is out there for them in cyberland.

We visited Old Andado on our recent Off-Track Desert crossing... It was in poor condition from the last time we were there in 2019. A good layer of dust covers just about everything....

Reactions: CTL

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
We visited Old Andado on our recent Off-Track Desert crossing... It was in poor condition from the last time we were there in 2019. A good layer of dust covers just about everything....

Seems like it's possible people responsible for it have given up, very disappointing news.
Sounds like a small army working bee would be needed to get it back quickly so a caretaker can go in again.

I'm disappointed too that Madigan in now one way, only west - east.
One more trip the other way was something I was wanting to do one day when I gear up again in a 4WD once more.

Mini

Hi RobM and Les,

What a great idea Les, a small army working bee. include a generator or two to power a vacuum cleaner or two, a coat of paint to match and perhaps that could be donated by our own Australian paint manufacturers like Taubmans or Haymes. I wonder if the NT Government would like to throw in a few bucks as well, it is a national treasure and certainly an attraction down that way as the Mac Clark reserve is. The fencing around there would not have been cheap. Many working bees in teams have done marvellous work in restoration of many of the wells on the Canning Stock Route as we know so your suggestion Les certainly has merit.