Madigan Line April 2016

Navigator54

Anja and I managed to slip away a day earlier than planned and were able to break the first day’s long drive into two easy steps. The second night was spent at the Cooper’s Creek campsite where we awaited the arrival of our two fellow travellers, Mark in an 80 series and Keith in another 79DC. Breakfast the following morning was at Mungerannie and is highly recommended followed by lunch at the Birdsville Bakery and with the promise of fresh sourdough bread made especially for us we planned to return the following morning for breakfast. Tea was had at my favourite Madigan camp (don’t forget the photo of the plaque – it is located above the door as you head from the front bar to the dining room).
After conquering Big Red for the usual group photo we headed towards the Annadale ruins (a sad tale associated with the graves) on Adria Downs homestead. The first night was spent at camp 17. We made good progress towards what we call camp 8.5 which is grove of trees close to camp 8 and the track to Geosurvey Hill. We were lucky in that our permit did not have the restrictions that have been introduced since 1st May and we turned south towards Geosurvey Hill. The track was even harder to follow than last year and we quickly decided a direct route was the best option. Good time was made and we now turned towards the GeoCentre. Last year we wasted a lot of time searching for the shot lines hoping for an easier run but this time we knew better and again a direct route was selected. Most of this travel is spent in first and second gear. Finding a dune where we could pitch our tent (see five star photo) we enjoyed a great night under the thousands of stars that you can see in the desert.
After an early start we forged on to the GeoCentre. We were surprised to be the first entry in the visitor’s book this year apart from a helicopter crew. With the change in permit conditions Geosurvey Hill and the Geocentre are no longer accessible from the Madigan Line so we were very lucky to have been able to do this trip twice. We pushed on late into the night and through heavy spinnifex to arrive back at camp 8.5. After enjoying some hot showers in the morning we pressed on crossing some of the harder dunes. With access to camps 3 and 4 prohibited on our permit we needed only one more night of camping before completing our crossing. This year we did find camp 1 which had escaped us last year.
Fuel usage for the V8 diesel was 173L (compared to 195L last year) which I attribute to a more run in engine (it was only a month old last year), no recoveries, more direct routes to the Geo’s and not being able to visit camps 3 and 4 this year. Diesel prices were $1.80 at Birdsville and $2.00 at Mt Dare. It is sad that this trip has now been restricted along similar lines to the CSR and I am very grateful to have had a chance to experience it.

DSC05613_zpspeg1k5uj.jpg

Mungerannie bus stop
DSC05638%202_zpsehderljz.jpg

Birdsville Bakery
DSC05741_zps36zjtovh.jpg

Conquering Big Red

DSC05617_zpserp5nccv.jpg

Annadale - a sad tale

DSC05799_zpsvcoimzg2.jpg

On the Madigan Line

DSC05779_zpss6wvsfiw.jpg

One star camping

DSC05837_zpsl7ozolhv.jpg

Five star camping (Anja likes to 'rough' it)

DSC05655_zpsmhloeckf.jpg

Hot showers in the desert

DSC05876_zpsazeuqb8k.jpg

On the line again.

mac_man_luke

Nice, look forward to doing the Madigan line one day. Geo centre and geo hill will be another good one seeing as it would need to be done separately now.

muffin man

Never done it and never will in this car (ULP) but it looks great and you make it sound so easy which I'm sure it isn't.
Top photo from inside the tent looking out.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good one Don (?).

I see they relocated the maccas sign to Mungerannie !!
Great to see it removed from the French Line where some joker set it up in the middle of nowhere.

Hope to do Madigan next month, if all the planets align ok.

Last edited:

Navigator54

Never done it and never will in this car (ULP) but it looks great and you make it sound so easy which I'm sure it isn't.

The ULP 80 series consumed 230L. With the right tyre pressure and driving technique it is not really a difficult trip unless you break something. The Track itself is very well defined. West to East would be even easier.

peterabbf

Anja and I managed to slip away a day earlier than planned and were able to break the first day’s long drive into two easy steps. The second night was spent at the Cooper’s Creek campsite where we awaited the arrival of our two fellow travellers, Mark in an 80 series and Keith in another 79DC. Breakfast the following morning was at Mungerannie and is highly recommended followed by lunch at the Birdsville Bakery and with the promise of fresh sourdough bread made especially for us we planned to return the following morning for breakfast. Tea was had at my favourite Madigan camp (don’t forget the photo of the plaque – it is located above the door as you head from the front bar to the dining room).
After conquering Big Red for the usual group photo we headed towards the Annadale ruins (a sad tale associated with the graves) on Adria Downs homestead. The first night was spent at camp 17. We made good progress towards what we call camp 8.5 which is grove of trees close to camp 8 and the track to Geosurvey Hill. We were lucky in that our permit did not have the restrictions that have been introduced since 1st May and we turned south towards Geosurvey Hill. The track was even harder to follow than last year and we quickly decided a direct route was the best option. Good time was made and we now turned towards the GeoCentre. Last year we wasted a lot of time searching for the shot lines hoping for an easier run but this time we knew better and again a direct route was selected. Most of this travel is spent in first and second gear. Finding a dune where we could pitch our tent (see five star photo) we enjoyed a great night under the thousands of stars that you can see in the desert.
After an early start we forged on to the GeoCentre. We were surprised to be the first entry in the visitor’s book this year apart from a helicopter crew. With the change in permit conditions Geosurvey Hill and the Geocentre are no longer accessible from the Madigan Line so we were very lucky to have been able to do this trip twice. We pushed on late into the night and through heavy spinnifex to arrive back at camp 8.5. After enjoying some hot showers in the morning we pressed on crossing some of the harder dunes. With access to camps 3 and 4 prohibited on our permit we needed only one more night of camping before completing our crossing. This year we did find camp 1 which had escaped us last year.
Fuel usage for the V8 diesel was 173L (compared to 195L last year) which I attribute to a more run in engine (it was only a month old last year), no recoveries, more direct routes to the Geo’s and not being able to visit camps 3 and 4 this year. Diesel prices were $1.80 at Birdsville and $2.00 at Mt Dare. It is sad that this trip has now been restricted along similar lines to the CSR and I am very grateful to have had a chance to experience it.

DSC05613_zpspeg1k5uj.jpg

Mungerannie bus stop

Birdsville Bakery
DSC05741_zps36zjtovh.jpg

Conquering Big Red

DSC05617_zpserp5nccv.jpg

Annadale - a sad tale

DSC05799_zpsvcoimzg2.jpg

On the Madigan Line

DSC05779_zpss6wvsfiw.jpg

One star camping

DSC05837_zpsl7ozolhv.jpg

DSC05655_zpsmhloeckf.jpg

DSC05876_zpsazeuqb8k.jpg

On the line again.

great report, good read, from what

DSC05613_zpspeg1k5uj.jpg

Mungerannie bus stop

Birdsville Bakery
DSC05741_zps36zjtovh.jpg

Conquering Big Red

DSC05617_zpserp5nccv.jpg

Annadale - a sad tale

DSC05799_zpsvcoimzg2.jpg

On the Madigan Line

DSC05779_zpss6wvsfiw.jpg

One star camping

DSC05837_zpsl7ozolhv.jpg

DSC05655_zpsmhloeckf.jpg

DSC05876_zpsazeuqb8k.jpg

On the line again.

great job, really looking forward to our trip, by your report we have allowed more than enough time.
Thanks.

boobook

Geez, I hope the staff at Mungarannie look out the window at the maccas sign every morning and remind themselves of what service is.
Maybe Mcdonalds have set up their famous university there. How NOT to run a business.
-Yell at customers
-Kick a group of 8 diners who have ordered, but not received their meals out because a bus just arrived and they need the tables!!
( The dinner was still not there 45 mins after ordering, and the diners were screamed at that they should not have ordered steak which took too long. Luckily we had already ordered - not steak - and were watching in disbelief from the next table)
-The only guy serving in the morning while people were buying fuel and checking out, threw his arms in the air, and walked outside for a 10 min smoko while about 15 people were in a queue to get served. He came back in, served a few people then dissapeared completely.
People ended up cooking their own breakfast, serving each other or just taking what they needed after waiting 40 mins or more for the guy to come back which he never did while we were there.
I have never seen anything like it in my life. The customers were in shock. People obviously needed fuel, serving themselves then leaving cash on the counter.

A memorable place indeed. We get a good ol laugh every time we think about it.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
West to East would be even easier.

by your report we have allowed more than enough time.
Thanks.

Reads like Dons trip was 3 nights for the actual Madigan Line ?
17, 8a, and another unknown location before 'finishing' where ? (Mac Clark, Old Andado, Mt Dare ?)

They were only 3 vehicles though, moving along would be reasonable, and if you've done it before once or twice, then head down / bum up isn't so bad for a run across.
Glad you've allowed 5 days though Peter for June.

muffin man

The ULP 80 series consumed 230L. With the right tyre pressure and driving technique it is not really a difficult trip unless you break something. The Track itself is very well defined. West to East would be even easier.
Thanks for the ULP info...I would need my two tanks full, 170L + a minimum 4 jerry's...I've got buckleys.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for the ULP info...I would need my two tanks full, 170L + a minimum 4 jerry's...I've got buckleys.

Get on with a nice size group, do it W-E . . . people would probably have no probs taking a jerry each for a petrol cousin.

What are you driving ? Profile says 'No 4WD yet'.
As they say YMMV (to the 80 mentioned), and this is really applicable to your case !!
Mates '88 Pajero (V6 3.0 ULP) did FL in '14 using 117lt vs my 106lt diesel, not too shabby.

You would be wise to carry the 250lt anyway of course, can always use it to get a bit closer to civilised fuel prices if not used on a crossing.

So, what are your known fuel figures for general sand, be it Border Track, SE beaches, or milder desert runs ?

Navigator54

Take into account that included GeoSurvey Hill and GeoCentre where even my V8 diesel was registering 28-32L/100Km for 2 days. For a straight run on the Madigan only it should be a fair bit less - my figures were 14-19L/100Kms while on the actual track.

Reads like Dons trip was 3 nights for the actual Madigan Line ?
17, 8a, and another unknown location before 'finishing' where ? (Mac Clark, Old Andado, Mt Dare ?).
Can confirm there were only three camps on the actual Madigan with the finish at Mt Dare. Last year we had 5 nights (excluding GeoSurvey Hill and Centre) on the line itself with 5 vehicles and a few recoveries (100 series, FJ and Triton all required assistance) although this was also an E-W crossing and Anja took 2 million photos (my estimate) of wild flowers which weren't present this year. The condition of the track was easier this year and the 80 had a permanent rear locker.

Although we didn't camp there Mac Clark has a good camp location - BBQ, shelter and long drop and I would also recommend Old Andado as a camp spot

Last edited:

unko84

In your summary would it be like the French line, ie with just less traffic, softer then french line.

I did the canning last year and avged 17lph from willuna to 33. and 20 from 33 to halls creek.

From some the info from the interweb the avg fuel economy is quite a bit worse then just the french or eaven the canning and slower kph avg?

Navigator54

In your summary would it be like the French line, ie with just less traffic, softer then french line.
I did the canning last year and avged 17lph from willuna to 33. and 20 from 33 to halls creek.
From some the info from the interweb the avg fuel economy is quite a bit worse then just the french or eaven the canning and slower kph avg?

Obviously driving technique and vehicle capabilities come into play. I was running 16psi in the rear and 14psi in the front and did not have any great difficulty transiting dunes (read = no excessive revving or fast run-ups required). It has been a few years since I have done the CSR or French line and in a different vehicle so can't really compare other than to re-iterate that the Madigan was easier than last year and a W-E crossing shouldn't prove difficult for experienced desert drivers. The main issue as always is the remoteness and to be self sufficient when it comes to repairs etc.

peterabbf

Geez, I hope the staff at Mungarannie look out the window at the maccas sign every morning and remind themselves of what service is.
Maybe Mcdonalds have set up their famous university there. How NOT to run a business.
-Yell at customers
-Kick a group of 8 diners who have ordered, but not received their meals out because a bus just arrived and they need the tables!!
( The dinner was still not there 45 mins after ordering, and the diners were screamed at that they should not have ordered steak which took too long. Luckily we had already ordered - not steak - and were watching in disbelief from the next table)
-The only guy serving in the morning while people were buying fuel and checking out, threw his arms in the air, and walked outside for a 10 min smoko while about 15 people were in a queue to get served. He came back in, served a few people then dissapeared completely.
People ended up cooking their own breakfast, serving each other or just taking what they needed after waiting 40 mins or more for the guy to come back which he never did while we were there.
I have never seen anything like it in my life. The customers were in shock. People obviously needed fuel, serving themselves then leaving cash on the counter.

Been there and put them under pressure as well, could see how this could happen, sad though as its such an iconic location.

peterabbf

Take into account that included GeoSurvey Hill and GeoCentre where even my V8 diesel was registering 28-32L/100Km for 2 days. For a straight run on the Madigan only it should be a fair bit less - my figures were 14-19L/100Kms while on the actual track.

Can confirm there were only three camps on the actual Madigan with the finish at Mt Dare. Last year we had 5 nights (excluding GeoSurvey Hill and Centre) on the line itself with 5 vehicles and a few recoveries (100 series, FJ and Triton all required assistance) although this was also an E-W crossing and Anja took 2 million photos (my estimate) of wild flowers which weren't present this year. The condition of the track was easier this year and the 80 had a permanent rear locker.

Although we didn't camp there Mac Clark has a good camp location - BBQ, shelter and long drop and I would also recommend Old Andado as a camp spot
thanks for the info, we are camping at Old Andado on the second night, then passing through Mac Clark's on the first day, I hear the Madigan line can be a bit tricky to find ?? any tips ...

Albynsw

-Yell at customers

Was Phil there or someone else running it?
Never seen anything but top country hospitality from Phil

Navigator54

thanks for the info, we are camping at Old Andado on the second night, thenea passing through Mac Clark's on the first day, I hear the Madigan line can be a bit tricky to find ?? any tips ...
Both my crossings were E-W but i can see that starting at west end would be fun. My suggestion would be follow the track heading east on the northern border of Mac Clark until you find the track heading due north to camp 1a gps coordinates. From 1a follow the track over the dune towards camp 1 as per Hema map. Just before you reach the map location you will see some faint tracks heading west that lead to the camp 1 marker. Not sure why the marker does not match the map location. Retrace steps to 1a. From there it is straight forward. If you are including camp 2 and twin peaks you will need to back track again to the big yellow Madigan Line sign for the run across to the colson with camp 5 located a short distance north.