Madigan Line and Hay River - preferred camp sites

CTL

For those who have travelled the Madigan Line and the Hay River track, do you have preferred camp spots? We will have 6 nights on each track in June 2024. TIA

boobook

Dunno about the madigan line, but there are tons of nice spots on the riverbed of the Hay River. The sand can get soft in spots near the riverbed though.

I'm jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTL

CTL

Received permission from Adria Downs to travel through their property so that was exciting.
After the dual crossing we will travel the Binns Track north of Alice, across to Nhulubuy, down to King Ash Bay, then back home via the Gulf, Cobbold Gorge, Porcupine Gorge and Carnarvon Gorge.
At this stage, 12 weeks on the road, 11,600kms

boobook

Received permission from Adria Downs to travel through their property so that was exciting.
After the dual crossing we will travel the Binns Track north of Alice, across to Nhulubuy, down to King Ash Bay, then back home via the Gulf, Cobbold Gorge, Porcupine Gorge and Carnarvon Gorge.
At this stage, 12 weeks on the road, 11,600kms

Plan to stay a night at the deserted Annandale station. And look, up the history before you go.the wife went mad from isolation.

Reactions: CTL

CTL

OK, forget what I just posted. Yes, that was our plan to camp at Annandale before heading into Birdsville to refuel/restock (and have a proper shower :rolleyes:)

cam04

Batton hill camp area is dodgy. The first couple of sites south 40 odd km are nice riverbank ones. We also liked the aboriginal midden site. For us, a good site was a bit of clear sand that we could wear thongs on without the burrs so showers were easier.

CTL

Applied online and received my CLC permits for the Madigan Line and Hay River Track. Free and received the day after applying.

But, I also had to print and complete a form, sign it and email it back to Batton Hill Camp together with a $240 bank transfer.

I am a bit peeved at the cost because the application form states “All camping fees are waved for 2024 as the campground needs renovating, feel free to use the facility.”

Also read a rumour that they are going to close the Hay River Track permanently at the end of 2024.

Albynsw

Applied online and received my CLC permits for the Madigan Line and Hay River Track. Free and received the day after applying.

But, I also had to print and complete a form, sign it and email it back to Batton Hill Camp together with a $240 bank transfer.

I am a bit peeved at the cost because the application form states “All camping fees are waved for 2024 as the campground needs renovating, feel free to use the facility.”

Also read a rumour that they are going to close the Hay River Track permanently at the end of 2024.

when are you going?

boobook

Is there any substance to this? Might have to make a point of doing it this year if there is

Do it Alby.

I don't know if there is any substance to that, but doing N-S is a completely different experience to EW, and IMHO, much better and way less traffic. Take your time too.

Albynsw

Do it Alby.

I don't know if there is any substance to that, but doing N-S is a completely different experience to EW, and IMHO, much better and way less traffic. Take your time too.

I think I might. The wife was chewing my ear about it last night as is busting for a desert fix and wants to go as soon as its open.

Whats a man to do? has to keep his wife happy………… :)

CTL

Is there any substance to this? Might have to make a point of doing it this year if there is
Read it online like everything else these days. We decided to include it in this year’s NT trip as we have always wanted to do it and didn’t want to miss it if the rumour was true.

Permit took a few weeks as Shirleen was on holidays.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I got really lucky one year, back when Jol Fleming & Lindsay were looking after the Hay the permit was taking a rather long time, so for shits and giggles, I applied for the Colson - and got it (I think they must let a few 4wds go through to keep it open / trafficable) so did a vertical crossing of both going up the Colson and down the Hay. I didn't stay at Batton Hill as no one was around and from memory it was shortly after Lindsay had passed away so his nephew was supposed to be taking care of it, we camped at one of the first couple of sites and second day just short of the big sand dune as we had a really good run, I actually thought it was going to get harder but the hardest bit was the final dune that everyone warned me about travelling North.

A very good trip and one that I would like to do again one day.

rob_macca67

With all this rain up north Qld, I reckon Eyre Creek will once again be the sticking point as to whether it's crossable or not

CTL

Let’s hope the bypass is open when I am crossing.
Whilst a lot of rain fell in the north of the catchment, fingers crossed that by early June it has passed south of the border.

rob_macca67

Let’s hope the bypass is open when I am crossing.
Whilst a lot of rain fell in the north of the catchment, fingers crossed that by early June it has passed south of the border.
True... I'm supposed to be heading out that way in mid jun/jul myself