Macalister river track

Gunna

Thanks for the replies guys. Trip was great. We ended up doing mount Margaret, Chromite mine, B1, Dingo hill, Caledonia river to Howitt rd then Burgoynes gap to Macallister gorge. Will try and put together a trip report. Cheers.
What was the condition of Mt Margaret and the Chromite Mine, Heading up that way next week and will have a driver with limited experience in a stock Jackaroo keen to have a look around there.

bush buddy

Hi Gunna, track condition on mt margaret / chromite mine was ok, pretty much same as it was before fires. Start of mount margaret and some parts of B1 may be an issue for a stock jackeroo due to clearance (if no lift). All tracks a lot more overgrown than when we last did them a couple of years ago especially chromite (lots of pinstripes), they don't seem to have had much traffic lately.

phs

Any one know the condition of black soil and Macalister river track to the start of butcher country was prior to gates closing in June ?

Bomber2012

Any one know the condition of black soil and Macalister river track to the start of butcher country was prior to gates closing in June ?
Heard they have put in bollards /closed a lot of the side tracks at the top of Butcher Country and 1 track in now( chicken tracks around bogholes) . Last drove it Nov 17 and it wasn't to bad , that was first week of opening , could be completely different now.

Reactions: phs

phs

Heard they have put in bollards /closed a lot of the side tracks at the top of Butcher Country and 1 track in now( chicken tracks around bogholes) . Last drove it Nov 17 and it wasn't to bad , that was first week of opening , could be completely different now.

Yeah, the top of Butcher country has been a mess for quite some time. I wonder how they will maintain the 1 new line

Last time we drove black soil / Mcallister river track it was starting to get chopped out that was Boxing Day 2015

Pubski

We did Mcallister river, butcher, Calendonia, Dingo hill earlier this year. Have to say butcher and dingo hill were quite tough. However weekend after there were fires in this area and tracks were closed there was talk that they have all now been graded if its true (haven't been back). Then i say theyre probably quite a bit tamer than they were previously. When we did it there was quite a mess of boggy sections at the top mate thought itd be funny to send me through one of the worst lines and only just avoided getting stuck.

Did Burgoyne's recently and its pretty rough these days especially from licola to the mcallister gorge.

Theres another thread Regarding butcher and calendonia and the fires around somewhere

phs

We did Mcallister river, butcher, Calendonia, Dingo hill earlier this year. Have to say butcher and dingo hill were quite tough. However weekend after there were fires in this area and tracks were closed there was talk that they have all now been graded if its true (haven't been back). Then i say theyre probably quite a bit tamer than they were previously. When we did it there was quite a mess of boggy sections at the top mate thought itd be funny to send me through one of the worst lines and only just avoided getting stuck.

Did Burgoyne's recently and its pretty rough these days especially from licola to the mcallister gorge.

Theres another thread Regarding butcher and calendonia and the fires around somewhere

Yeah we did Dingo hill last Boxing Day, was a little hairy in spots but all made it through fine
A few guys come through not wanting to go back up lol

Any idea which park rangers office looks after this area ?