Lowes mount state forest - NSW

deanstano

Hi All,

Anyone been out to Lowes Mount State forest near Oberon NSW recently?

I heard it use to be a popular spot a few years back but has gone quiet and gotten a little over grown?

Thanks
Dean

deanstano

Awesome day at Lowes Mount State Forest

I had an awesome day at Lowes Mount State Forest on Saturday 30 July 2011 with another Prado.

Was great weather for being outdoors, enough moisture around from some rain a few days before and some heavy frosts to make some of the climbs that little bit greasy.

A couple of small creek crossings with some flowing water but only just over a foot deep.

Plenty of climbs ranging from 30 to 38 degrees some smooth, rutted and some slippery clay. Practiced some recovery stalls (not on purpose) but all in all had a top day and really recommend it for someone who is looking for some nice climbs and descents without banging your car up to much.

Next time I will be keeping it a bit close to home tho was over 3 hrs each way for me but closer for the other Prado.

Last edited:

1 red gu

nice job any pics of the place i have never herd of it , sounds good
did you notice any camping spots

Last edited:

deanstano

Pics and vids

It is about 15 minutes North of Oberon, NSW. It does have 2 good camping spots fairly central. We had the place to our selves apart from 2 dirt bikes coming later in the day pretty much just as we were leaving.

Hard to take the time to get a few pics and vids, waiting to get some more of me.

Lowes Mount State Forest - 30 July 2011 - YouTube

Could of went further but was worried about reversing back of the rock ledge

Sorry about the sound wind noise on this one, might need to mute it

Last edited:

Dan91Surf

It is about 15 minutes North of Oberon, NSW. It does have 2 good camping spots fairly central. We had the place to our selves apart from 2 dirt bikes coming later in the day pretty much just as we were leaving.

Hard to take the time to get a few pics and vids, waiting to get some more of me.

Was there more like this ?
Did you get up this ?
Which way did you go in ? via Lowes Mount Rd or from Oconnell Rd ?
Did you actually find Lowes Mount ?
Any GPS data ? If not can you mark on the map where you went ?

Have not been there but looks like it might be OK..

Attachments

• LowesMountMap.jpeg
    LowesMountMap.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 186
  • LowesMountMap_Closer.jpeg
    LowesMountMap_Closer.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 168

deanstano

I submitted it as a new track on here but hasn't gone up yet. We came in from Oberon side via Lowes Mount Road.

I have tried to recall where we went a few loops that you can do either way or both. Other Prado was a veteran of the area and I mainly followed.

No I didn't make it up that one. Only cars with lockers and lifts have made it up it and even then only a hand full ever been to the top. But yes there are several climbs that are very challenging and we didn't even attempt a few of them as not interested in banging my car up until I get steel bar, winch and some more recovery stuff going.

Attachments

• Lowes Mount.jpg
    Lowes Mount.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Walkabout

Track is now approved and published.
Yeah that middle pic looks interesting, Teza h and I spoke about sussing it out a while back, looks nice and green.
The Oberon region is littered with State Forests bound to be some great wheeling around.

Dan91Surf

I submitted it as a new track on here but hasn't gone up yet. We came in from Oberon side via Lowes Mount Road.

I have tried to recall where we went a few loops that you can do either way or both. Other Prado was a veteran of the area and I mainly followed.

No I didn't make it up that one. Only cars with lockers and lifts have made it up it and even then only a hand full ever been to the top. But yes there are several climbs that are very challenging and we didn't even attempt a few of them as not interested in banging my car up until I get steel bar, winch and some more recovery stuff going.

OK will check out the new tracks ..
Certainly covered a lot of the tracks..
Thanks.

Dan91Surf

Track is now approved and published.
Yeah that middle pic looks interesting, Teza h and I spoke about sussing it out a while back, looks nice and green.
The Oberon region is littered with State Forests bound to be some great wheeling around.

Looked in the tracks and couldn't find it.
Looked at deanstano profile and has no tracks submitted ?
Guess it will show up soon !?

Walkabout

Looked in the tracks and couldn't find it.
Looked at deanstano profile and has no tracks submitted ?
Guess it will show up soon !?

That's because he edited the listing to add another photo ( the red tracks on sat photo) so it had to be approved again. It's there again now.

Ol' Harley

Folks;

I live not too far from this one. If you're heading out there, it's a great little spot, but at the moment it's starting to suffer a little from logging, and there are some areas of it that were covered in trees that are now bare patches with a few stumps, and in some spots some of the tracks are starting to suffer a little from the logging trucks.

I'm not saying don't go - there's still plenty to explore - but exercise a little caution, and be prepared to move to another part of the forest if you get there and find that there's logging underway.