• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Lower control arms issue - can i still 4wd?

Nicool

Hi guys
My Disco3 needs its front lower control arms serviced, does a bit of that « clac » noise when i leave the driveway (no noise on bitumen).
They’re getting replaced on wednesday, but in was really keen to get some 4wdriving on a track tomorrow/sunday with family.
Honestly this issue has been there a few months, and just didn’t take time until recently to book a service.
Do you think i am risking much by going on a track before it gets fixed? What’s the worst that could happen?

cheers
Nicolas

discomatt

The clunk will get worse, as long as you don't push the cars limits and attempt some pretty extreme tracks it will be fine, I just did mine in the Disco 4 after 85,000km. Not bad given what I have put mine through, I went the polly option as they last much longer than the standard hydro bush, driving and feel is just as smooth as the standard bush but steering feels a bit sharper which is a good thing.
They can be done in car so don't fall for the whole arm needs to come out and replaced at a cost of $2000 BS that some will try and sell

Nicool

The clunk will get worse, as long as you don't push the cars limits and attempt some pretty extreme tracks it will be fine, I just did mine in the Disco 4 after 85,000km. Not bad given what I have put mine through, I went the polly option as they last much longer than the standard hydro bush, driving and feel is just as smooth as the standard bush but steering feels a bit sharper which is a good thing.
They can be done in car so don't fall for the whole arm needs to come out and replaced at a cost of $2000 BS that some will try and sell
Define « extreme » :p
I guess tracks with a bit of slow driving needed, low range, bit of rock crawling, with some hill descent control needed?
I am going to be charged 1300$ for the job.
Have a good day!

discomatt

I class extreme where most say you need a twin locked Patrol on 35's or bigger
If your in Melbourne call Greg at AMV ( Ringwood ) and tell him Matt sent you