Low Range Whining Noise

Jono3095

Hey guys,

Went out 4WD for my first time ever. I have a 2022 MR Triton manual and noticed some strange whining sounds when in 4LLc. The sound got louder, higher-pitched, and quicker the faster I was going/the higher gear I was in i.e. 3rd vs 2nd.

My question is - is this a normal sound to hear when in low-range as the car was purchased brand new and this is the first time engaging 4LLc. There is no whine when in high-range.

Secondly, I also noticed when changing from 1st to 2nd gear in 4LLc, the gears seemed to 'crunch' even though the clutch was fully depressed. I ended up just taking off in 2nd gear most of the time as the crunching when starting from 1st and changing into 2nd was off-putting.

Cheers,
Jono

Swaggie

When i first read the name of your post “Wife” come to mind … :oops:

After i read it maybe the oil in the transfer case or gearbox or both, maybe low, contaminated etc when was it last checked or replaced.
Have you been through water, It could come out white….

typhoeus

You can't really do quick gear changes in low range, if you have to, use the double declutch method. That is : depress the clutch, change to neutral & let the cutch out and then straight back down and change to the next gear. When changing down, give it some revs while doing so to match engine speed. You will find after a little practice that you will have no crunching..

Swaggie

You can't really do quick gear changes in low range, if you have to, use the double declutch method. That is : depress the clutch, change to neutral & let the cutch out and then straight back down and change to the next gear. When changing down, give it some revs while doing so to match engine speed. You will find after a little practice that you will have no crunching..
I can in my Hilux

Jono3095

Thanks mate never knew you can’t do quick changes. Rev matching should be okay I do that in normal driving but never done the double clutch before

Ron0z

I'm offering my opinion and experience, also as a newbie, but I'm thinking of how the clutch, sited between the engine and gearbox, would be independent of the transfer box, or have I got it wrong. This implies to me that if there's going to be a problem in changing gears the problem would be the same whether in high or low range. Also, I can't help thinking that when in low range there would be less of a load on the engine/clutch/gearbox making gear changes easier.

On the very few occasions I've used low range (in my Jimny) changing gears up or down was effortless with no issues. The only time I was able to 'crunch' something was due to inexperience; the car was rolling rather than stationary when attempting to get it out of low range.

I can hear the whine too, but you'd have to hear something with a chain drive.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
The whine, may or may not be an issue, depends on the volume. The sound may be normal and settle a bit once it gets some use. The low range gearing may not have been run in like the main gears and will whine until its initial wear period is done (or at least decrease in volume). As Swaggie mentioned, excessive whine can be an indication of low or contaminated oil (or another problem).

You shouldn't be having gear change issues even in low range. No need for double clutch methods (modern passenger vehicles don't need this), could be worth trying though. It may be experience/familiarity with the vehicle. In low range, the speed window for the gear change to operate smoothly is going to be much narrower than high/2wd.

Do you have any of these issue in the other gear modes? (2H, 4H, 4HLc). Perhaps a test drive with your mechanic.

Jono3095

The whine, may or may not be an issue, depends on the volume. The sound may be normal and settle a bit once it gets some use. The low range gearing may not have been run in like the main gears and will whine until its initial wear period is done (or at least decrease in volume). As Swaggie mentioned, excessive whine can be an indication of low or contaminated oil (or another problem).

You shouldn't be having gear change issues even in low range. No need for double clutch methods (modern passenger vehicles don't need this), could be worth trying though. It may be experience/familiarity with the vehicle. In low range, the speed window for the gear change to operate smoothly is going to be much narrower than high/2wd.

Do you have any of these issue in the other gear modes? (2H, 4H, 4HLc). Perhaps a test drive with your mechanic.
Thanks for this reply. I think you’re right about the crunch and it being from a more narrow speed window between 1st and 2nd. Alto ugh if I’m going off engine revs, I’m changing gears at a similar-ish rpm as I would in high range so I thought that would be ok. I’ve not noticed any issues in any of the high range modes.

ULost2

Had similar happen with 2002 kia sportage ; forget now but I think it was the gear box. Noise happened only in 4x4 drive . Regret jumping the gun on that repair now ---- it's long story .

cam04

Thanks for this reply. I think you’re right about the crunch and it being from a more narrow speed window between 1st and 2nd. Alto ugh if I’m going off engine revs, I’m changing gears at a similar-ish rpm as I would in high range so I thought that would be ok. I’ve not noticed any issues in any of the high range modes.
You are spinning more weight and the synchros have a smaller window of opportunity to get it right. Note that in low range you can select up to 3rd/4th from a standing start rather than run through the gears - much like a tractor. The whining and the crunching are all normal. You’ll get around the crunching with a little finesse.