Low Pressure Gas Stove - Help needed

Gary Bennett

Guys,

I am currently using a 3 burner High Pressure stove in my CT and I have to take the Gas bottle out of the holder on the side of the trailer and place it next to the stove because you cant have a hose any longer than 1.2m. I have had a gut full of this and want swap to a Low Pressure stove so I can leave the bottle on the side of the trailer.
I read somewhere that a lot of CT owners are using Coleman stoves, so I went to Downunder Camping to check them out. They were telling me that you can't get a longer hose for them because they have their own built in regulator. Now i'm confused. I don't want a Lido Junior as it can't fit large pots on it.

Can anyone help me? How are you connecting up your Coleman stoves with longer hoses?

Gary

David1977

you just need to buy the old model coleman hose, has coleman fitting one end and std bbq regulator fitting the other.

robz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Maybe check out what is under and in a few caravans.
Some of them have copper tube which is only 6mm in diameter and run 2 to 3 metres from the bottle to the stove.
Might not be what you are after but maybe give you a few ideas on how to set it up.

Grumpy

I would look at running copper pipe from the stove to the bottle the same as they do in caravans, just make sure you put a stop tap some where close to the stove in case of an emergency.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Guys,

I am currently using a 3 burner High Pressure stove in my CT and I have to take the Gas bottle out of the holder on the side of the trailer and place it next to the stove because you cant have a hose any longer than 1.2m. I have had a gut full of this and want swap to a Low Pressure stove so I can leave the bottle on the side of the trailer.
I read somewhere that a lot of CT owners are using Coleman stoves, so I went to Downunder Camping to check them out. They were telling me that you can't get a longer hose for them because they have their own built in regulator. Now i'm confused. I don't want a Lido Junior as it can't fit large pots on it.

Can anyone help me? How are you connecting up your Coleman stoves with longer hoses?

Gary

G'Day Garry,

Mate I own a Kimberly Kamper and have a soverign low pressure BBQ. Its great. I have a really long hose with quick connect fittings to supply it. It has a great safety switch and never let me down. They have a great range, check out their site: Sovereign BBQ's and Grills

Walkabout

Hi Gary and welcome to 4x4 Earth.
The issue you describe is typical of a high pressure stove install, it is illegal to run high pressure gas in a caravan or camper in a permanant instalation. The 1.2 meter hose is designed for external use and is that length due to Aussie design rules for gas equipment.
Your choices are stick with what you have with the high pressure stove or have a lic plumber install a regulated low pressure system with copper tube to an isolation valve then connect a low pressure hose to stove and then modify or exchange the stove jets to suit low gas pressure.
High pressure stoves have very small jets and have a jet size hole in the hose which acts like a regulator of sorts so both must be modified correctly to get correct gas flow and a matching Megajoule rating for each burner.
*** this is not a do it yourself install, you must be a Lic plumber****
If you really want a fixed install the Lido or other brand low pressure stove would be the easiest as the majority of plumbers do not have LPG converion tables or a jet making kit.
Hope this helps.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Gary and welcome to 4x4 Earth.
The issue you describe is typical of a high pressure stove install, it is illegal to run high pressure gas in a caravan or camper in a permanant instalation. The 1.2 meter hose is designed for external use and is that length due to Aussie design rules for gas equipment.
Your choices are stick with what you have with the high pressure stove or have a lic plumber install a regulated low pressure system with copper tube to an isolation valve then connect a low pressure hose to stove and then modify or exchange the stove jets to suit low gas pressure.
High pressure stoves have very small jets and have a jet size hole in the hose which acts like a regulator of sorts so both must be modified correctly to get correct gas flow and a matching Megajoule rating for each burner.
*** this is not a do it yourself install, you must be a Lic plumber****
If you really want a fixed install the Lido or other brand low pressure stove would be the easiest as the majority of plumbers do not have LPG converion tables or a jet making kit.
Hope this helps.

I agree, but I believe you can run a short flexible hose to the copper tube, run as much copper tube as you want to take it where you need it to go, and then another flexible hose to the stove. 1.2 metres of flex. high pressure hose was mentioned before, but that's a max. length over the whole line. E.G. - 300mm at the bottle end and you still have up to 900mm if needed at the stove end.

Walkabout

or just use 1/4" pig tail from bottle to regulator if you need extra flexi hose length? when I do these installs I regulate close to the bottle and run between 2-2.8 kpa depending on how may appliances and working pressure requirements ie: stove or + BBQ etc

Gary Bennett

you just need to buy the old model coleman hose, has coleman fitting one end and std bbq regulator fitting the other.

Thanks for your help guys. I will stick with what i've got for now, however I will probably go for a Coleman Even Temp 3 burner in the future if I can purchase the old model hose and it fits the newer stove.
David, are they still available and do they fit the newer stoves?

Thanks
Gary