Lorella Springs

muzza22au

I recently took my girlfriend on a trip to Lorella Springs.
After fitting a Darche Panorama 2 RTT and foxwing awning on Thursday we packed up ready to hit the road Friday morning, meeting up with a mate and his girlfriend from Sweden in Katherine. Then heading from Katherine to Lorella Springs.

Jab to LS
by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Toddyh

Great photo Scott. I loved Lorella. Nanny's Retreat would have to be my favourite spot but the coastal camping is pretty special too.

muzza22au

Great photo Scott. I loved Lorella. Nanny's Retreat would have to be my favourite spot but the coastal camping is pretty special too.
We only got to spend a few days out there due to time restrictions, but we will be back thats for sure. We stayed at Nudie hot springs camp ground which was nice and quiet.

Toddyh

Ah yeah just out the back of the main camp. That was a nice spot. Still a walk to the bar for happy hour too.

muzza22au

Nudie camp at Lorella is a great place to base yourself if you want to be away from all the noise and people, we had the place to ourselves of an evening and during the day we ventured out and saw some of the sights Lorella has to offer.
Bush camping at its best.
Untitled
Tank loved the freedom and his new stretcher bed.
Untitled
Evenings spent by the campfire.
Untitled

muzza22au

The next day we spent a bit of time exploring the many tracks and waterholes.
Untitled
Snapping Handbag Billabong.
Untitled
With the $20 per person per night price tag there are many boats and kayaks that are free to use as often as possible.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

muzza22au

I am sure Tank is very Croc Wise.
Untitled
A slight trickle still ran over Tear drop falls.
Untitled
But the water had gone nice and green, great for the fish that we saw but not for us swimming.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
At the top of Teardrop falls we found a swimming hole, the water was very refreshing.
Here is a shot of a plunge pool that we were unable to climb down to.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Even in this pristine environment we found rubbish discarded, I took the photo and then picked up the cigarette butt to place in the bin at camp. Some people truly are lazy.
Untitled
Untitled
Such awesome country.
Untitled
One of the awesome look outs.
Untitled
Us enjoying a selfie moment.
Untitled

muzza22au

Cooking time, the night before I showed my friends how to make an easy damper. Tonight it was their turn.
Untitled
Trade mark M
Untitled
Now to cook it on the coals.
20170625_210000
While the damper was cooking I set up my DSLR for a timelapse, it got over taken by tiny green huntsman spiders :)
Untitled
Untitled
And the sign that says it all.
Untitled
The turn off to Lorella Springs.
Untitled

muzza22au

This is on my bucket list. Looks like a great place, thanks for sharing
Hey John it is definitely a great place to stop into, they informed me earlier is better for no tourists and more flowing waterfalls. So keep an eye on their facebook page for opening after the wet season.

There is so much to see and do here, from fishing from the bank of the river catching Barramundi, to exploring the many water holes and water falls. If you make it out to the coast you can fish and camp, be be watchful of crocodiles.
We will be heading back eventually to spend more time there, most likely next year at the end of the wet season.

Toddyh

The coastal camps are amazing. I was out there for 2 days last year and didn't see another person. It's a long way from the homestead though. I think about 80km of dirt tracks from memory.

mac_man_luke

awesome, great photos!

Very high on my list of must visit places and i like the idea of coming soon after the wet - much prefer some waterfalls, green and maybe a bit of mud over dry and dusty.

maddon

just came back from there too / went via roper bar though / i loved the bull dust at the tawallah track where some guys had to winch out of / great adventure / flew over the two lost cities and then off to lawn hill / then karumba / camerons corner / maroochdore /waa gorge / sydney blah blah

Mr Rum

The wife and I were going to check out Lorella Springs last month, but decided we didn't have enough time to fully enjoy it, and ended up driving past.

A question for those that have been there..
What's the minimum number of days you would recommend staying to get the most out of it?