Looking to get some experience on sand - What are the easiest and least complex tracks in North West Vic?

John U

Oh that's annoying, I think if you open it on a desktop browser it will work.

Anyway, tracks I wanna know about are: north-south track, Eagle track, moonah track, and gunners track!!
Ever been on them?

I am super excited haha.
Did all of those. I based my trip on the information you initially posted up. From what I remember all were easier than Milmed Rock track. Some soft sand in patches but Tyre pressure down and momentum up and no dramas. Was excellent fun. Will be doing them again.
I skipped snowdrift or whatever it’s called as I was time short. Wish I hadn’t.

Did all of those. I based my trip on the information you initially posted up. From what I remember all were easier than Milmed Rock track. Some soft sand in patches but Tyre pressure down and momentum up and no dramas. Was excellent fun. Will be doing them again.
I skipped snowdrift or whatever it’s called as I was time short. Wish I hadn’t.

Oh wow! Just to confirm, you did the tracks above? I was worried about gunners track and North South track but you say its not so bad?

discomatt

All those tracks are pretty easy and no special requirements, some reasonable clearance, lower tire pressures, don't tow 2.5 ton and anyone could drive them.
Possibly even easier this year due to such a high rain fall but I am not sure how much that area has had but more rain makes sand much easier, the clay based access roads in and out of the parks are treacherous when wet

Reactions: phs
All those tracks are pretty easy and no special requirements, some reasonable clearance, lower tire pressures, don't tow 2.5 ton and anyone could drive them.
Possibly even easier this year due to such a high rain fall but I am not sure how much that area has had but more rain makes sand much easier, the clay based access roads in and out of the parks are treacherous when wet
Legend, thanks mate!!!

phs

Agree with Matt,

the sand tracks are all very easy, just the clay ones that will be an issue in the wet like Murrayville Nhill road and camp grounds like big billy boar

Tha is guys, really excited for my trip now. Gonna be making an extensive video and track notes. Keep tuned.

If I clear the tracks faster than expected I'll take some of the well known ones in Murray Sunset.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Wyperfeld / Big Desert:

I am doing this trip over Easter weekend, would you have any idea if the tracks I have selected have big dune climbs on them?

Would seriously appreciate your input.

Did those as per your route, except we came from Milmed Rock Tk, up Pura Tk around the back of lake albacutya.
Was an awesome route.

You won't have problems with those tracks, sometimes a little soft if dry / fluffy sand, and / or if a lot have been through before with too high a tyre pressure.

Just lower pressures to 20psi or so once you get to Dattuck Tk, you'll be fine.
There's actually stuff all dunes to drive over from memory on that part you've posted, just some soft-ish winding bends, watch for other traffic and speed reasonably low for visibility at bends.

Snowdrift dune is fenced off, it's fun for the kids to climb and board down . . . there's really no more sand to speak of after that, say from around Casuarina camp or even meridian rd.
We drove across the dry Wirrengren plain and out the same route to Underbool.

Have fun, great camping in there, hope the crowds are minimal for you.

John U

Oh wow! Just to confirm, you did the tracks above? I was worried about gunners track and North South track but you say its not so bad?
Did all of those.

Did all of those.

Oh great pics OP!

Look pretty good, spoke to the ranger and he said they were all graded recently so that makes it even better!!

How do you rate the tracks? Good fun? And can you recommend any areas perfect for photography?

John U

Oh great pics OP!

Look pretty good, spoke to the ranger and he said they were all graded recently so that makes it even better!!

How do you rate the tracks? Good fun? And can you recommend any areas perfect for photography?
The first sandy track I hit, Purra track (or possibly an unnamed track just West of it), going around the top of Lake Albcutya from the Western shore campsite, to (and becoming) Wembulin track was the most sketchy. I was on my own, with my young bloke. I was well supplied and people knew exactly where we were going, but I was a bit nervous. The sand was soft in spots and bumpy. I probably drove it a bit too quick. I calmed down and slowed down a bit after that and the going was better.
Dattack Track, North South Track, Ginap Track, and Eagle Track were all excellent. We followed 3 emus from quite a distance on the North South track. They left us for dead. There were a couple of moments were I got out a thought where the hell are we. Could see any farmland anywhere. Was all good though. These tracks take you back to the edge of the park. You will spend a fair bit of time driving around the edge of the park.

Milmed Rock track West to East was an excellent return trip. Some soft sand there but usually on the downhill side of the dunes.

There's a good look out at Big Billy Bore. That's where I got the sunset photos. There's probably good potential for photos every where, you've just got to see it.