Looking for thoughts on suspension upgrade - 2012 Triton

Ol' Harley

Gudday folks;

It's high time I upgraded my suspension, so I'm looking for some overall advice.

I've got a 2012 twin cab diesel Triton ute GLX-R (ML/MN) manual. Rear diff lock, long range tank, and a few other minor extras like diff breathers, ECB bullbar, lightbar, etc.

The wife and I like getting off the beaten track (who doesn't?) but she's very antsy about flooded creeks and heavily rutted tracks, so we're not full-on hard core 4WD types. We tow a camper trailer sometimes (Cub Brumby) which, when the water tank is full and it has a few odds 'n' ends in it, has a ball weight of about 140Kgs. We also sometimes pull out an awning and use swags, depending on where we're going and how long we're going to be away.

Not looking for a high-lift, and there generally isn't a lot of weight in the tray even without the trailer when we're away. It sees many a dirt road or fire trail, and does a bit of beach driving.

Any hints, tips, or general advice is welcome (help me justify the expense to the wife...)

Cheers!

Triton14

I am yet to do a suspension upgrade for basically the same vehicle(MY14) and have been looking into it for a while.

I am not looking at much lift(50mm suspension) but after much reading the idea about lift is more about when the vehicle is loaded at it sits a a ride height that is not lower than the standard height, obviously if you have standard suspension & then throw 800kg on it then it is going to sit lower!

Anyway you also have to follow your states regulations, you dont have your state on your account but these are the height rules for NSW
Section 3.0

So I will be doing the max 50mm lift, then with my offroad tyres on which are 25mm over standard I will be at 75mm above standard vehicle height which is the max legal limit in NSW

I wont talk about brands but you need to look at what constant weight will suit you, lots of people will fit things like 500kg constant weight & its fine when loaded up but drives like a brick when unladen.

I am thinking 300kg would be the max I would go but would need to look at that if towing as well.

Dont forget you would need to look at ball weight, GVM & CVM.

There is lots of info in here so have a search.

Good luck.

To add, if your looking at creek crossing you will probably also need a snorkel!

Albynsw

I don’t know if Newtriton.net is still running but there would be plenty of information over there. Brendan from Ultimate Suspension was actively involved with the members also if you wanted to check them out.

Ol' Harley

Folks;

Very much appreciate all of the info. Some good food for thought there. I'm in NSW, so the legalities are a good thing to raise, and I appreciate it. I'll keep looking (any further contributions are welcome) and let you know how I go.

Cheers!

Triton14

Hadn't considered Ultimate, I'll chase that one up.

Cheers!
They are who I have been looking at.
I think they are one of a very few that can possibly do a GVM upgrade along with the suspension but I need to check with them as I'd like to be able to do it if possible at the same time.
No one that I know of offers GMV upgrades for MN's for some reason?
Not sure even if it is possible but if it is will also have to assess the outcome to cost ratio.

I think Pedders used to do one that would give you about 250kg more but they dont do it anymore.
Probably because it has to be engineered & signed off on your rego which became to much for most?

This is worth a watch-

Gav8795

I have a 2008 Rodeo with the 2inch tough dog adjustable shocks with a 300kg constant weight. Bull bar, winch, difflocker, the usual. Most of the time I have an empty tray and it took a bit of getting use to the extra stiffness but I don’t notice it now. When I load the tray or tow a trailer the adjustable shocks really are worthwhile, you wouldn’t know you were loaded, except for the breaking of course. I am looking at putting long range tank and water tank and I think that will work really well. Anyway I am happy with mine.

Lost1?

No one will sign off.on a Triton GVM upgrade as the rear axle is too close to its maximum rated mass. You would need.to re-engineer the rear axle to deliver that outcome. That and you would have too much weight behind the rear axle.

Triton14

No one will sign off.on a Triton GVM upgrade as the rear axle is too close to its maximum rated mass. You would need.to re-engineer the rear axle to deliver that outcome. That and you would have too much weight behind the rear axle.
I knew there had to be a reason.
Most GVM's seem to readily available for most wagons, probably more to do with the fact they have less weight behind the rear axle.
If what you say is the case sounds like to much coin & trouble to do but when I do go down the suspension route I will still ask the question.

I know superior & PSR make an engineered chassis brace kit which would help that but again add even more weight.

Ol' Harley

I have a 2008 Rodeo with the 2inch tough dog adjustable shocks with a 300kg constant weight. Bull bar, winch, difflocker, the usual. Most of the time I have an empty tray and it took a bit of getting use to the extra stiffness but I don’t notice it now. When I load the tray or tow a trailer the adjustable shocks really are worthwhile, you wouldn’t know you were loaded, except for the breaking of course. I am looking at putting long range tank and water tank and I think that will work really well. Anyway I am happy with mine.

Cheers mate. Sounds like a similar setup to me.

For what it's worth (and pardon the brief step off topic) I got the Opposite Lock 120L tank fitted a few years back, hasn't missed a beat.

The towing advantages of the adjustable shocks sound good too. Appreciate it.

Batts88

You could also look into getting the springs reset and another leaf added to help support the weight if you don't want a lift kit.