Looking for the Diff tran etc Breather

muc the truck

Been using the pneumatic silencers for 30 years. Never had one block yet. Most aftermarket breather kits use them too. Depends where you mount them. Think you are getting excited about a non-existent problem.
Mounting position is just as important with the crappy little paper fuel filters you recommend. Mount them in the wrong spot and they will fill with water and act as a reservoir to allow water to suck back down the breather line as the diff cools.
Tink
Ahh haah ahha lol . I have serviced lots of mud beaten 4x4 in Darwin and those sintered metal air/ stone like air noise suppressors wrongly used as diff breathers are notorious for blocking up with dried mud , especially when they are inside the heated engine bay . One bloke in particular had just about a gut full of another mechanic replacing 3 seals in his diff yoke and it was fine for a short time then leaked . After abusing the bloke and issuing a small claims notice to the other mechanic he ended up on my door stop . After placing a rubber tipped air gun used for testing automatic transmission seals during assembly was used we found the filter was blocked . 65 psi could not clear it so how could the diff heat expansion of gases vent . Once the breathers routed ino the airbox no more diff leaks even when you could not see what brand engine he had. The so called crappy plastic fuel filters you degrade have been in your cars you have driven for years and never let you down . Ryco make them . Don't tell me you have never driven a carby powered vehicle . The plastic fuel filters a better option for a vented breather for a lot of reasons and yes you do put the vent hole facing down just like your factory breathers to your front diff in your car come up and do a uturn and face the grown , You believe I suspect that your diffss done suck in water whne they cool down when infact they do suck water inform your filters every time they are fet and you turn your engine off , its only a little bit but it all adds up , when its plumbed into the air box the engine heat dries the air in the air box and when the engine is turned off your diffs draw in dry air . But if that's not for you and some people just cant seem to trust this system a plastic ryco fuel filter is 2nd best for the following reasons . 1 weight reduction as one filter does the whole 4x4 . 2 it prevents mud on the filter so doesn't block( and yes you have to install it with the opening facing down like all factory open extended breathers are ) . 3 it doesn't need a solid mount to stop it damaging your paint . simple zip ties work on the ome wire harness. 4 its a low pressure free flowing filter . 5 doesn't fall apart with extreme vibration and engine heat . The best is still plumed in the air box and if one was worried about tearing a breather hose and drawing dust into the engine you use a ryco carby fuel filter inline near the air box. Its always entirely up to you what you do with your own car and also what you do with information your read so I don't expect argument . You have the right to data dump everything here . I commented on this thread because thread because too many people are making very big dollars on diff breathing kits that do more damage than good because the filter element is exposed to the elements. I am just trying on this forum to help people save money and reduce possible early unforseen repair bills.

Last edited:

muc the truck

Just thinking out loud. Wouldn't the air box put a slight vacuum on the lines?

regards
There is no vacuum . Most military vehciles have this system . The heat given off and the expansion of gasses simply equalize between all diff centres , gearbox and transfer cases as they are all linked into one very small diameter hole in the air box . The air your engine draws in is allways from the path of the least resistance and this is via the air cleaner element . The air cleaner element has to be so dirty serious diesel smoke will be apparent or poor engine performance on a petrol long before any vacuum is created that's able to signal a fishtank one way valve to close. I tested it my self and even with my land rover v8 doing 6500 rpm the little flapper valve never moved . I suppose if you are concerned about this you can fit aquarium one way air pump valve fitted beside the air box to see for your self . The hole in my land rover air box was about 3mm and it vented all elements of my drive line .

muc the truck

Fun fact: The factory breathers in my HiLux didn't face down.
From memory, two faced up, and the other three were mounted horizontally.
Yes , sorry I emited factory extended btreathers. But going back your your post stock hilux breathers or check valves have a cap on them and the opening on them faces down . Here is a illustration how all factory extended open breathers I have ever seen are and what I am talking about . The only exception I have witnessed is those plumbed into the air box .

Attachments

muc the truck

Most factory breather heads pull a vaccum every time the vehicle is parked up well Toyota ones do any how.

I have heard the possible issues but yet to see any actually having Issues
This is true when the diffs cool if the breather is blocked off with a vacuum gauge ( remember its sealed ) a number will be read. But open there is no vacume as its open . same goes when its inside the air box , its open so again no vacuum until someone blocks the vent tube off.

phs

Yup correct, the Toyota factory heads pull shut during the cooling process, this happens every time it has been used ( hot ) and then parked up ( cools )

Last time I pulled my factory breather tube off it had been parked for a day and a gasp of air was sucked in

If it will read on a gauge or not ?
Definetly just need a gauge with a suitable range.

The factory Toyota heads work great until they get full of dust then they stop sealing when they get pulled onto there seat

Last edited:

Tink

@muc the truck Wow, you went to lot of trouble typing that epistle of an answer :D And to prove what? That you are the only person on this forum with any experience? Or was it to try to prove that your opinion is the only correct opinion? Mate, chill, we all have different experiences and we can all offer personal opinions. Yours is not always right, nor is mine. How about you respect what others say occasionally instead of ranting and always trying to prove you are the font of all knowledge.
Oh, and this has to be one of the funniest things I have read all week.
a plastic ryco fuel filter is 2nd best for the following reasons . 1 weight reduction as one filter does the whole 4x4
:D:D:D:D:D
Cheers
Tink

the RG Colorado breather heads/caps are s#!t, when installing my breather kit I found they were just cheap and nasty plastic caps.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=160046

they had a slot cut in them so they would never totally seal and create a vacuum and one of the caps was missing in the engine bay next to the battery so if you went to wash the engine bay with a hose you would run water straight into it.
as pictured here...

they were also pretty low too around the height of the floor of the cab(60cm) same thing with the fuel tank breather.

mine are ok where they are for now and I left enough length on the lines to make it to the airbox which is where I will run them to when I decide to spend some time in the shed.

if anyone is looking to do the job "properly" you really want to run them to the airbox if you have a snorkel and connect in after the air filter so its always clean air.
doing this gives the best height and lowers the chance you will get water into the breather lines whether it be from an unexpected depth crossing or accidental water spray from a hose cleaning.
you are "extending" the breathers so you might aswell go for max height and clean air while you are at it ;)

muc the truck

@muc the truck Wow, you went to lot of trouble typing that epistle of an answer :D And to prove what? That you are the only person on this forum with any experience? Or was it to try to prove that your opinion is the only correct opinion? Mate, chill, we all have different experiences and we can all offer personal opinions. Yours is not always right, nor is mine. How about you respect what others say occasionally instead of ranting and always trying to prove you are the font of all knowledge.
Oh, and this has to be one of the funniest things I have read all week.
:D:D:D:D:D
Cheers
Tink
Although you didn’t have to reply as you disagree and suggested you do what you like with your car and data dump what I said I am glad you have because it will help others work out the best way to hook up diff breathers without paying very much at all , certainly not a kit . This means even though your opinion is different we are helping people on this forum .

If you at first know nothing about diff breathers and google for information and kits to buy your bombarded with expensive manifold kits made of fancy milled brass or aluminium sometimes brightly anodized with your top leading 4x4 brands on them so your normal thoughts well this must be the best way . Now the next thing someone thinks that doesn’t know a lot about diff breathers is how can I replicate this and save money. The incorrect answer is to use Air suppression valves (mufflers). They should not be used in the first place.

And here is why.

I idea of using an exposed filter element on a 4x4 is out-dated. Even engine air cleaners now are in well-designed housings to keep them as clean as possible for as long as possible. None of you would revert to a exposed pod like air cleaner on your 4x4 like the rice burners put on turbo fast cars I would hope because in a such a short time off road , mud dust it would be blocked rather quickly And just like the exposed air compressor noise arresters (mufflers) The need to be removed to clean , you can’t just hose them off from the outside . The have to blow from the inside out with compressed air after washing them. People won’t service your diff breathers on a basic service.

These rather expensive filter systems are a gimmick when they have exposed filters because you only need one patch of mud on a heated engine bay to block them up. Whenever you turn your vehicle off / drive though a creek ,river or the unthinkable you get bogged in mud and the diffs cool while you get your recovery gear out , moisture from the mud y water covered miss used air suppression valves draws into the diff until the muds dry and blocks the breather of the diffs cooled down .

Some of the most expensive diff breather kits sees rather heavy manifolds with sintered brass air suppression valves mounted on roof racks and snorkel heads . They are not even safe from mud there. All they guarantee is make people aware you have the money and you honestly thought you were doing your best for your 4x4.

The best solutions are not always the dearest. Here is a very reliable and affordable method.

Using silicone tube from ebay from the diff s gear box where movement from suspension is required lasts longer than rubber or poly airline .

Utilizing the often spare clips long side your fuel lines on the chassis with poly airline used in all truck air brakes and tees that are simple push in jobs are affordable and reliable . If there are no spare clips lots of zip ties used in the same location work well with all leads going from the tee with short piece of poly airline continuing with silicone tube high over the floor of the vehicle and down to the driveline component to handle the moving part .

In the engine bay the best way is to run the line though a Ryco plastic carby fuel filter and tap it inside the clean side of the engine air cleaner element with silicone hose from the poly truck air brake hose . This provides ample clean ventilation, no restrictions , No fumes as the engine consumes them and no possible water ingress to the drive line in rain river crossings or completely bogged and unrecoverable during the cool down of the driveline. Not even when the engine is shut down as the diffs cool it draws in warm clean dry air from the engine . The breathers are as tall as your snorkel head when you have a snorkel fitted. How many times do you see water over the bonnet on some creek crossings?

Some people won’t want to drill into their air box so in this case even though its done by almost all military air cleaners and some factory wadding kits supplied by land rover simply end the fuel filter outlets facing down in a confined space unlikely to see mud or water but ensure this is no place that can cause passengers to inhale fumes so not near the passenger cabin air intake on the fire wall . Into the air box is the best for your 4x4 and your passengers.

Last edited:

Tink

A big effort to type all that. Why? You have just repeated your same argument, but with even more words :D.

Then you finish with one of the silliest things I have read in a long time.
simply end the fuel filter outlets facing down in a confined space unlikely to see mud or water but ensure this is no place that can cause passengers to inhale fumes so not near the passenger cabin air intake on the fire wall .
Now you are trying to make us believe that a small puff of escaping air from a hot diff could maybe enter the cabin and somehow be detrimental to a passenger's health. C'mon man, what absolute BS.
Tink

muc the truck

A big effort to type all that. Why? You have just repeated your same argument, but with even more words :D.

Then you finish with one of the silliest things I have read in a long time.

Now you are trying to make us believe that a small puff of escaping air from a hot diff could maybe enter the cabin and somehow be detrimental to a passenger's health. C'mon man, what absolute BS.
Tink
You really are being ignorant towards me , its not just a diff. its 2 diffs a gearbox and a transfer case all vented on one line so yes it will smell if it vented in cabin air intake .
I have had to correct some idiots here running the rear diff breathers into the cabin air up behind the tail light letting there kids spew ever were and call it car sickness and the front ones in the air duct to keep them clean because sintered metal filters are a pain in the arse to keep clean . doesn't do much for the nostrils so I had to mention it . Most modern cars have a wide rubber seal on the back of the bonnet to stop fumes from engine getting into cabin air but it doesn't take much for them to perish . I cant count how many vehicles I couldn't drive with the dash vents open due to fumes from engine bay breathers . I made a post so no one could stuff it up and save money in the process I didn't see you do this . all your attempting to do is confuse people and rubbish me in the process because you are too proud to admit I have a real point here with your inadequate diff breather system that you copied off the big name expensive gimmicks sold at an inflated price . I don't care what you do to your 4x4 . do what ever floats your boat .

Last edited:
Ok
I am running 3 tubes to the air box through the drain hole at the bottom of the air box
Question is this hole sealed after a snorkel is put on or left open?????.
I am going to run the other lines (dif & fuel tank breather) into the side of air-box. I will drill and fix with an air tyre valve thing and seal with sikaflex.
Rob.

muc the truck

Ok
I am running 3 tubes to the air box through the drain hole at the bottom of the air box
Question is this hole sealed after a snorkel is put on or left open?????.
I am going to run the other lines (dif & fuel tank breather) into the side of air-box. I will drill and fix with an air tyre valve thing and seal with sikaflex.
Rob.
Most water/dust ducts on the bottom of 4x4 air boxes stay unsealed even when snorkels are fitted . Only if the duct has lost its elasticity and no longer closing is it up with silicone or replaced with a new one . Some blokes just silicon it up to be safe because some cars have better ones than others . It still is the dirty side of the air box though so make sure you have all your breather lines going though a single fuel filter otherwise it will get covered in dust

Lovey

Sorry to bump an old thread, and to ask a silly question at the same time :oops:. Do you need to remove the original breather fittings from the diffs, gearbox, etc and replace them, or do you just add a length of hose to the original and plumb them to the snorkel airbox?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

phs

Depends on your make and model
A lot of the hiluxs / Prados have the valve screwed directly into the rear diff housing
So these would need a new fitting,

the front diffs tend to be raised a little with hose so there is something to cut and connect too, Gear boxs tent to be the same

hiluxdriver

Im wondering just how many 4wdrivers have issues with water in there diffs, gearbox etc just by traversing through rivers....
I got a small amount of water in my gearbox from a cape trip a couple of years ago. Didn't have a breather kit fitted so standard system was all I had. Drained the oil as soon as I could and topped it up with fresh stuff but it hasn't changed gears as smooth since.

Tink

Sorry to bump an old thread, and to ask a silly question at the same time :oops:. Do you need to remove the original breather fittings from the diffs, gearbox, etc and replace them, or do you just add a length of hose to the original and plumb them to the snorkel airbox?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Just use a 6mm barbed joiner. No need for hose clamps as not enough pressure to worry about.
Tink