Looking for the Diff tran etc Breather

Hi,
I am looking for all of the diff, transmission etc breathers, in a Holden Colorado 2010 4x4 LX.
I have seen the one on the rear diff and the one from the transmission to gearbox (I think).
It looks like it the same line (in one to the other about 8cm of tube).
Do IFS have breathers?
Thanks heaps for the help.
Rob.

Tink

Rear diff, front diff, front axle, SOTF, gearbox, transfer case, 4WD actuator and if you really want to get serious, fuel tank and then the winch if you have one fitted.
Tink

Sorry what is a SOTF is it (SHIFT ON THE FLY)
and the fuel tank hose run into the fill pipe?.
look under the front removed the cover plate and can not find everything that looks like a breather?.
I looked on the net but can't find everything about breather in IFS.

Tink

Sorry what is a SOTF is it (SHIFT ON THE FLY) yes
and the fuel tank hose run into the fill pipe?. No
look under the front removed the cover plate and can not find everything that looks like a breather?.
I looked on the net but can't find everything about breather in IFS.

phs

Look in engine bay for IFS breather most modern 4wds manufactures put them there and usually is good enough from the factory,

muc the truck

If you have a snorkel tee all of them in to the clean side of your air box with a tubeless tyre valve with no valve fitted. Landover did this on there wadding kit factory. works very well , stays open and unrestricted unlike all other breathers get clogged , especially sintered metal ones don't like muddy water on them(dries in to them ) . Landrover picture supplied.
$T2eC16dHJHQFFh,gmez)BRwEQ!F8C!~~60_57.jpg

phs

Hi Robert,

You can cut and re use the factory breather head, alternatively any 4x4 shop will supply all sorts of filters and hose ect.

I was happy with the gear from piranha off-road, I mounted my rear diff breather up in the top passanger side of the engine bay firewall
And for my model was not too concerned about the other breathers for a few reasons .

Give them a call they will be able to fill you in on what specific fittings, hose and filters are best suited for your Colorado

Good luck keep us posted

muc the truck

Cool thanks to you both.
If any of thos get muddy water on them in an engine bay it dries and blocks the porosity of the filter and makes it unable to breath , then you will have oil leaks sooner and on far less KMs than otherwise should have . exposed filter kind of filter is the very last filter you ever want to fit on your 4x4 breather . A plastic car petrol filter is much better if you wont fit it into the airbox because the filter surface area is protected from mud splashes . Its a lot harder for muddy water to block up a 4mm hole in a plastic fuel filter than the micro size holes on a Pneumatic silencer of similar exposed filter element .

The fish tank air stone was a joke right ?

phs

Most factory breather heads pull a vaccum every time the vehicle is parked up well Toyota ones do any how.

I have heard the possible issues but yet to see any actually having Issues

Tink

If any of thos get muddy water on them in an engine bay it dries and blocks the porosity of the filter and makes it unable to breath , then you will have oil leaks sooner and on far less KMs than otherwise should have . exposed filter kind of filter is the very last filter you ever want to fit on your 4x4 breather . A plastic car petrol filter is much better if you wont fit it into the airbox because the filter surface area is protected from mud splashes . Its a lot harder for muddy water to block up a 4mm hole in a plastic fuel filter than the micro size holes on a Pneumatic silencer of similar exposed filter element .
Been using the pneumatic silencers for 30 years. Never had one block yet. Most aftermarket breather kits use them too. Depends where you mount them. Think you are getting excited about a non-existent problem.
Mounting position is just as important with the crappy little paper fuel filters you recommend. Mount them in the wrong spot and they will fill with water and act as a reservoir to allow water to suck back down the breather line as the diff cools.
Tink

i would have to agree with muc on this one, for the best protection pipe the breather lines into the airbox if you have a snorkel because it will take the height of the breathers to the height of the snorkel and the air they breathe is always filtered.

if you don't really plan on doing water crossings higher than say the floor of the cab then you should be right mounting them under the bonnet and like tink said the position you mount them is important.

I have not piped mine into the airbox yet so they are mounted on the firewall at the back of the enginebay above my second battery nothing much makes it back there but you have to remember if you do hit water the fan on the engine is going to throw the water around the engine bay.
if you are worried about the pneumatic silencers blocking you can always take them off and clean them once a year or when they get muddy.

I have not move the ones in the engine bay (have not got a snorkels on yet )have move the rear diff breather and fuel tank breather to on the canopy between canopy and cab with splash guard etc.

Been using the pneumatic silencers for 30 years. Never had one block yet. Most aftermarket breather kits use them too. Depends where you mount them. Think you are getting excited about a non-existent problem.
Mounting position is just as important with the crappy little paper fuel filters you recommend. Mount them in the wrong spot and they will fill with water and act as a reservoir to allow water to suck back down the breather line as the diff cools.
Tink
Im wondering just how many 4wdrivers have issues with water in there diffs, gearbox etc just by traversing through rivers....