Looking for new petrol manual 4x4 with low range

Dave_w

It's time for a new 4wd. I want a light (like a Hilux not a Cruiser) proper 4wd not a SUV or anything close to one. Prefer a twin cab or maybe extra cab with a tray back.

I can not find any with a manual gearbox and petrol engine.

Anyone with a suggestion ?

Thanks
Dave

Spooner

It's time for a new 4wd. I want a light (like a Hilux not a Cruiser) proper 4wd not a SUV or anything close to one. Prefer a twin cab or maybe extra cab with a tray back.

I can not find any with a manual gearbox and petrol engine.

Anyone with a suggestion ?

Thanks
Dave
Suck it up and get a Diesel ;)

Jackolux

Bugger all petrol's available now days . I know its not what you want but I bought a Y62 Patrol just recently .
Why don't you like autos , they are the best by far .

CaptainBanana

Seriously would you want to pay thousands or tens of thousands of dollars more than needed to avoid a diesel or an auto? Especially since autos are better offroad than manuals and not to mention a whole lot easier on road too. It's not 1977 any more, 3 speed autos and their disadvantages are long gone. No idea what you hate about diesels, I'm on my second one now and mostly enjoy it then again I'm not 20yo anymore trying to race every clown on the road.

discomatt

You can still race clowns on the road if you want to , even is a diesel and autoo_O
I know if I put the D4 in sand mode and nail it from the lights it will blow away more than half the cars out there and definitely blow away nearly all 4wds:)

CaptainBanana

You can still race clowns on the road if you want to , even is a diesel and autoo_O
I know if I put the D4 in sand mode and nail it from the lights it will blow away more than half the cars out there and definitely blow away nearly all 4wds:)
Unfortunately my car has 3 seconds of turbo lag which makes it impossible to beat even a cyclist from a standing start.

discomatt

Unfortunately my car has 3 seconds of turbo lag which makes it impossible to beat even a cyclist from a standing start.
What is this thing " turbo lag" you speak of?
Ah I remember it was the thing those primitive single turbo engines had, get with the new stuff, you get 2 for the price of one.
Although being a modern diesel you also get 2 for double the cost when they crap out and with mine also have to remove the body to get to them:(

CaptainBanana

What is this thing " turbo lag" you speak of?
Ah I remember it was the thing those primitive single turbo engines had, get with the new stuff, you get 2 for the price of one.
Although being a modern diesel you also get 2 for double the cost when they crap out and with mine also have to remove the body to get to them:(
Actually my Mazda was twin turbo but they still had some retardation built in first and second gears presumably to make them easier to drive in crappy conditions, it seems these days manufacturers are trying to cater for the worst drivers not the average ones by taking away a lot of available car control from us.

Ripping the body off would be a costly excercise :eek:

discomatt

Ripping the body off would be a costly excercise :eek:
Yes and no, they have a full monocoque chassis on a ladder chassis and are designed to remove the body for a few jobs, turbo replacement and timing belt replacement being 2 of the common ones. It takes about 2-3 hours for off and the same for putting it back on so 5 hours and you have full and easy access to the whole chassis and drive train. It will make them very easy to do major repairs on as they reach the 10-15 year old mark when all cars start to need more maintenance.