Looking for advice one first trip from wombeyan caves to jenolan caves

Cotto

Family looking to take our first trip off road wanted to do the wombeyan to jenolan caves track can anyone give us advise as we have never done anything like this.
My huband has seen all of Australia throw the window screen of a truck but since his been forced into early retirement due to a heart condition we would love to try this trip as a family with our 3 boys
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated advice on tracks that would be kind to our everyday 4x4 would be fantastic

Hoyks

I did it just before christmas and it was a good trip, very dry though. Now I'm guessing that a lot of it is black, so you'll probably want to check with NPWS to see if it is open.

I'd been to Wombeyan and Jenolan caves before, so pushed on to do the bit in the middle and pushed onto Yerranderie. The road in is narrow and steepish in places, but was well maintained.

From there, find your way to Dingo Dell and onto Kowmung River Fire Trail and follow that north. That track is particularly steep, with some bits all you can see is bonnet and sky, but it too is well maintained and should give you no problems, unless its wet. I don't think camping is allowed by the creeks along the fire trail,

From Yerranderie I did the fire trail to Jenolan and onto Newcastle in a day, but was traveling solo. It would be a better bet taking 2 days and getting to Wombeyan Caves as the step off point on Friday evening.

I was running off some old track notes and the fire trails they pointed me down had been closed for a few years, some by NPWS and some by land owners. The only way into Yerranderie is via the Colong Stock Route.

You can stay on the Kowmung River Fire Trail, of if you're a bit more adventurous, try the Morong Fire Trail that will bring you out on the Kanangra Walls Rd, turn right and follow that down to the lookout. I took Morong and it was a nice drive, but again, it was dry. Some bits might be interesting if it was wet.

There are a few camping options up this end as well.

Pack a shovel, tyre gauge, a snatch strap and marshmallows, you'll have a ball... oh, and a jumper, Dingo Dell gets bloody cold.

mikehzz

Odds are it will all be burnt out, so be careful of falling trees. It happens a lot after fires. It's steep in parts but pretty easy
You can download waypoint files for gps programs at boilingbilly.com.au and all the details are in the Tracks Close to Sydney book published by them. I recommend that book for new drivers as the tracks are graded according to difficulty with a lot of good trek notes.

Hoyks

You can also plot it out with Google maps and send it to your phone, as well as download the google maps for the area to your device. I'd advise downloading it as mobile reception is marginal to none for a lot of the trip.
A paper map would also be a good idea

greysrigging

Kanangra Walls is pretty cool !.....I did that track in Nov 2015.....lots to see..
As others have mentioned...there may well be fallen timber there now.
20151118_164040.jpg
20151118_164058.jpg
20151118_164118.jpg
20151118_164315.jpg
20151118_170116.jpg

Cotto

I did it just before christmas and it was a good trip, very dry though. Now I'm guessing that a lot of it is black, so you'll probably want to check with NPWS to see if it is open.

I'd been to Wombeyan and Jenolan caves before, so pushed on to do the bit in the middle and pushed onto Yerranderie. The road in is narrow and steepish in places, but was well maintained.

From there, find your way to Dingo Dell and onto Kowmung River Fire Trail and follow that north. That track is particularly steep, with some bits all you can see is bonnet and sky, but it too is well maintained and should give you no problems, unless its wet. I don't think camping is allowed by the creeks along the fire trail,

From Yerranderie I did the fire trail to Jenolan and onto Newcastle in a day, but was traveling solo. It would be a better bet taking 2 days and getting to Wombeyan Caves as the step off point on Friday evening.

I was running off some old track notes and the fire trails they pointed me down had been closed for a few years, some by NPWS and some by land owners. The only way into Yerranderie is via the Colong Stock Route.

You can stay on the Kowmung River Fire Trail, of if you're a bit more adventurous, try the Morong Fire Trail that will bring you out on the Kanangra Walls Rd, turn right and follow that down to the lookout. I took Morong and it was a nice drive, but again, it was dry. Some bits might be interesting if it was wet.

There are a few camping options up this end as well.

Pack a shovel, tyre gauge, a snatch strap and marshmallows, you'll have a ball... oh, and a jumper, Dingo Dell gets bloody cold.
Thank you very much for your advice

Cotto

Odds are it will all be burnt out, so be careful of falling trees. It happens a lot after fires. It's steep in parts but pretty easy
You can download waypoint files for gps programs at boilingbilly.com.au and all the details are in the Tracks Close to Sydney book published by them. I recommend that book for new drivers as the tracks are graded according to difficulty with a lot of good trek notes.
Thank you for your advice

Basejj

I drive through janolan caves road everyday and the road is close from duckmaloy rd onwards

Caves to caves run is pretty straight forward and apart from a few steep sections is mostly high speed gravel fire trails.
Although just double check with parks as most of this has been burnt and with the recent rains the Kowmung may still be up.
If you want to extend the trip taking in the Guineacore fire trail is a fun option.
here's a liitle vid of a run we did a couple of years back

Cheers
Rob