Looking for a 1 man hiking tent

stevemc181

We used these in the jungles of Cambodia on a hiking trip last year. US army issue hammocks, not the most comfortable things to sleep in, but kept the bugs out.

cam04

They are hung really poorly (by the guides?) with too much sag. No wonder you were uncomfortable. If they were hung correctly you can sleep asymmetrically (head one side of centre line, feet other side) in them pretty much flat. If you are interested there is hammock forums etc which will show the way, or an Ebook called ‘the perfect hang’. Like most things there are right and wrong ways of going about it. I am most comfortable with the hitching points 6-7 metres apart. Pic below with a couple of ‘test weights’ on board showing the sort of lay angle I try to get.

Attachments

Last edited:

stevemc181

They are hung really poorly (by the guides?) with too much sag. No wonder you were uncomfortable. If they were hung correctly you can sleep asymmetrically (head one side of centre line, feet other side) in them pretty much flat. If you are interested there is hammock forums etc which will show the way, or an Ebook called ‘the perfect hang’. Like most things there are right and wrong ways of going about it. I am most comfortable with the hitching points 6-7 metres apart. Pic below with a couple of ‘test weights’ on board showing the sort of lay angle I try to get.
They had only just been strung up quickly as another couple of hikers arrived and we wanted to claim the spot first! We adjusted them tighter later, but still wasn't comfortable, as we were advised to put our packs and belongings in there with us for the night due to the other hikers that had arrived. Our guides didn't trust the other guides with our belongings left laying outside.