Long wait of 18 months on Landcruiser 78 Gxl Troopcarrier

Garry grewal

Hi All,

I have been waiting for my Troopy 78 Sandy GXL from 16 months. I have been told to wait 18 months and as of now there has been zero updates on build number. I have called dealership every few months and they got no updates. I’m in Melbourne. Anyone else been waiting for that long on LC70?

FranksnBeans

Hi All,

I have been waiting for my Troopy 78 Sandy GXL from 16 months. I have been told to wait 18 months and as of now there has been zero updates on build number. I have called dealership every few months and they got no updates. I’m in Melbourne. Anyone else been waiting for that long on LC70?
It's industry-wide. One of my mates ordered a Ford Raptor 14 months ago and it's still sitting on a ship outside of Melbourne. So will probably end up being a 15 month wait all up.

Albynsw

Unfortunately it is what it is, I waited 12 month’s for my 79 but the wait is longer now. You just have to sit tight and wait……

boobook

My kid bought a new Mazda, 9 - 12 months wait. Similar for Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Honda and one other ( I forget)

Most dealers didn't have a demo car for Mazda 3's, i30, and ceratos. I could not believe how hard it was to get a car for test drive. Most were using cars from the used car department to demo. 2 - 3 year old cars are $2 - 3K more than a new one.

I can only imagine the wait for a 70. Good luck.

Albynsw

My kid bought a new Mazda, 9 - 12 months wait. Similar for Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Honda and one other ( I forget)

Most dealers didn't have a demo car for Mazda 3's, i30, and ceratos. I could not believe how hard it was to get a car for test drive. Most were using cars from the used car department to demo. 2 - 3 year old cars are $2 - 3K more than a new one.

I can only imagine the wait for a 70. Good luck.

I enquired about a new Fuso Canter 4x4 truck on Friday ( travel truck dreams) and they are a bit over 12 months to get too :(

SlimTim

Just went through this, even though I ended up with a second hand troopy.

You could try going around to as many dealers as you can and put your name down for cancelled orders that have already been delivered, then cancel yours.

I did this for new ones and have had three calls in about the same number of weeks from dealers saying they have a new troopy available now, and I’m in the NT.

Maybe with interest rates they way they are, fuels prices etc, more people are second guessing a rather expensive car and forfeiting their deposit.

Not sure and don’t hold me to it. Just my very recent experience.

Albynsw

You could try going around to as many dealers as you can and put your name down for cancelled orders that have already been delivered, then cancel yours.

I did this for new ones and have had three calls in about the same number of weeks from dealers saying they have a new troopy available now, and I’m in the NT.

Maybe with interest rates they way they are, fuels prices etc, more people are second guessing a rather expensive car and forfeiting their deposit.

A mate got a new single cab this way, it was a cancelled Telstra order

SlimTim

I’m almost certain if you ring around enough Toyota dealers, you’ll find one with a new sandy taupe troopy sitting in the yard. They’re rare, but not non-existent.

When I spoke to dealers that didn’t have them, they really talked down the prospects of finding one anywhere else. I wonder if it’s just in the hope you end up buying something else off them, or is something else?

Garry grewal

I called them. Spoke with the sales Manager. They are out on these. Btw i look inside their yard every damn day as i drive past so i could at least spot this beauty

Garry grewal

I’m almost certain if you ring around enough Toyota dealers, you’ll find one with a new sandy taupe troopy sitting in the yard. They’re rare, but not non-existent.

When I spoke to dealers that didn’t have them, they really talked down the prospects of finding one anywhere else. I wonder if it’s just in the hope you end up buying something else off them, or is something else?
unfortunately we have no cancellations at our end, some of our customers are also beyond 500 days waiting for build, and we are all not taking new orders as we are informed that it could be 3 years plus to complete the current order list, best plan for you is to stick with you current dealer as they will get the build when it happens, all the best.

Reply from Toyota Downtown team this morning when i randomly enquired about canceled orders.

Garry grewal

Reply from oldmac Toyota Springwood down below when i enquired about them:

Unfortunately we have no Troop Carrier models that have become available.

It looks as though the new engine is coming as of May production. Toyota have not confirmed anything as yet but I don't think unless a miracle were to happen somewhere you will be able to find a V8.

All the best with your search.

SlimTim

Reply from oldmac Toyota Springwood down below when i enquired about them:

Unfortunately we have no Troop Carrier models that have become available.

It looks as though the new engine is coming as of May production. Toyota have not confirmed anything as yet but I don't think unless a miracle were to happen somewhere you will be able to find a V8.

All the best with your search.
Like I said, every dealer that didn't have any troopies said I'll never find one. Then, after some searching and flexibility, I found a moderate amount of new, near-new and rather old ones for sale.

That said, in the end, I was willing to travel almost anywhere in the country to pick one up.

Actually looked as this one. Not new, but bloody close.
https://www.autotrader.com.au/car/12584739/toyota/landcruiser-70-series/nt/winnellie/suv

Either that, or three miracles happened in two or so weeks. Should I contact the pope for sainthood?

If the new engine is coming in May does that mean your order won't be a V8?

Lost1?

We buy a lot of fleet vehicles for work. Last September Toyota told us if you want to order landcruisers as fleet vehicles for 2024 you need to order now. Toyota Australia allocate a quota of thier forecast numbers for fleet buyers.

We have made so much money off selling old fleet vehicles since COVID happened. It is just insane. Even if the current vehicles don't have many miles on them the return at auction still makes selling them an attractive proposition.