Lockdown Protests

boobook

Well I guess if protestors don't throw bottles of piss, punch horses, unmask and spread covid, attack police and disobey covid laws not to protest, then taking masks off is a reasonable police action.

The same thing would have happened here in 2014. No covid rules back then when that video was made. I'd say that was probably a legal non violent demonstration. Just like demonstrations back then here. Not in a pandemic.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Media reports today that the protests outside CFMEU is now becoming a Super Spreader event. Some of the ferals have taken covid up country back where they come from. Rapid testing these idiots when presenting at hospitals has caught them out. These idiots should be thrown in jail. That's what keeping us locked down. Just about ready to open up and now Covid numbers are the highest it has ever been. Ignorant idiots.

John U

We all have an opinion , if you’re happy with tear gas and rubber bullets that’s your right to do so. After all we live in a free country.
If you're a 'journalist' it is your job to tell both sides of the story. Sophie Ellsworth is not a journalist.

John U

Ok ??? So where does that leave the ABC , Ch 7 , sky news etc ?
They're all having their issues with it. The number of journo's who can deliver balance has reduced everywhere.

ABC lefty bias? Yeah, maybe not.

Toyasaurus

If anybody thinks there has been balanced journalism in this country for god knows how many years.

I have some nice land to sell them on Mare Ibrium.

muffin man

Yes no doubt protests can cause cases but they had a valid point. No media or police attention on the thousands of rugby celebrations. People are frustrated and letting of steam.

mikehzz

Isn't getting a balanced viewpoint listening to both sides? I don't expect a particular journalist or news outlet to give a balanced viewpoint, I expect it to be biased for one reason or another. You make up your own mind once you hear all the opinions. The trouble is that people tend to stay inside their own echo chamber, plus a bigger problem is the tendency of big money to monopolize the market so there aren't any different points of view. I like the independent Youtubers that aren't in anyone's pocket. Even guys like Russell Brand have a very interesting point of view...(I never thought I'd ever say that). :)

(The Juice Media Honest Government Ads are as funny as too)

peterfermtech

ABC lefty bias? Yeah, maybe not.
Still wiping the tears from my eyes from laughing at that.
Crikey saying the ABC isn't left biased is like Sam Dastyari saying China doesn't pay bribes to politicians.

Bomber2012

Media reports today that the protests outside CFMEU is now becoming a Super Spreader event. Some of the ferals have taken covid up country back where they come from. Rapid testing these idiots when presenting at hospitals has caught them out. These idiots should be thrown in jail. That's what keeping us locked down. Just about ready to open up and now Covid numbers are the highest it has ever been. Ignorant idiots.
Are you sure it was the protests outside ?
I think you are becoming a super spreader and it ain’t the virus.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Are you sure it was the protests outside ?
I think you are becoming a super spreader and it ain’t the virus.
Ha! Ha!. Let me quote you part of an article on page 6 of today's Herald Sun. Quote" It comes as fears grow that riots outside the CFMEU head office have turned into a major superspreader event, with cases now being found in attendees who live outside Melbourne.
The Herald Sun can reveal the covid spread during the riots appear to be worse than first feared.
Young men who were at the rally on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are now being picked up in rapid tests as they are taken to hospital" end of quote.
I did say it was a media report.
Sure you are not a superspreader of fake news?

Bomber2012

I was just quoting a media report. Have heard it on TV news reports as well.
So why did you intimate I was superspreading what?
The workers were outside , the infection was inside.
Your so outraged you can’t think straight.
Afternoon nap and Bex for you Rog to calm down a bit .
Superspreading bs is hard on you old fella

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I will quote the report again in more detail, so you hopefully understand what is being said.

" Fears are mounting that riots which started outside the CFMEU head office have turned into a superspreader event, with cases now being found in attendees who live outside Melbourne.

The Herald Sun can reveal coronavirus spread during the riots appears to be worse than first feared.

Young men who were at the rally on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are now being picked up in rapid tests as they are taken to hospital.

It comes after union boss John Setka and his colleagues were forced into 14 days of isolation after the CFMEU office was declared a Tier 1 site

The outside of the building, where the protests began, was declared Tier 2.

Public health officials are still piecing together how many cases are linked to the event, with the true impact of the protests unlikely to be known given the crowd’s resistance to Covid restrictions.

There were no QR codes or other contact tracing practices in places other than inside the CFMEU building where contact tracing and management has already occurred.

Some of those who attended the protests are now believed to have become seriously ill and health outcomes for Covid are worse if sick people are not treated early on.

There are also fears protesters have passed on to family members and other close contacts."

Kippie

......You make up your own mind once you hear all the opinions.....
Basing your opinion on other opinions is like Chinese whispers. I think it's better to fact check any opinion and then develop your own opinion based on the facts you've discovered.

Stories in the media are easily verified. After all it's not often they get the scoop. Usually the news item is a regurgitation of earlier publications. If there's no verifiable fact in the news item, then that news item is an opinion and should be treated as such.

Branding the ABC as left or right is an opinion. What counts is how many critical analyses they publish which are based on facts; Four Corners to name one. Compare that with for example Sky News. The latter has lots of opinions, but rarely a critical analysis of facts.