Lockdown Protests

peterfermtech

Don't agree. Infrastructure Australia rated significantly lower than 'do it now'. Return on investment was not good. I don't deny that it maybe needs to be done one day. The LNP's actions were a stitch up for the ALP, which cost Victoria a lot. There's a term for it, I just can't recall.
Again Lefty BS. A good mate of mine was at the time right at the top of Vicroads. His opinion is it was and is one of the most impotant road projects and cancelling it is one of the dumbest things a government has done. As for stacking up apparently not one road project has ever stacked up because the modelling doesn't take into account many community benefits. The modelling is designed to take in comparisons of road builds and as such is used to compare different alternatives not financial or community factors. I remember his line being something like "if they used that model there would never have been a road built in Victoria"

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
A mate of mine was an engineer with Vic roads and apart from other works he was the engineer for one of the biggest local roundabouts I have ever seen.
He was a piss pot even when we played competition golf and the roundabout is a nightmare because of the extreme camber from center to out.
He reckoned at the time it was to run rain water off it, however the camber is so steep many vehicles spin out as they go around.:eek::eek::eek:

CTL

now focusing my anger at the federal vaccine roll out shamble
Nope, focusing my anger on the anti-vaccers and protesters who encouraged people to not get the jab. And the stupids saying that AZ would kill you, didn’t happen in the UK. Plenty of vaccine for those who wanted it in the last few months.
And also angry at the idiots who have procrastinated too long. Qld is about to see what life has been like in NSW and Vic. But Qlders have dragged their feet with an “it won’t happen to us” attitude. It is now too late to a get a jab to stop the spread

drmahodi

And the stupids saying that AZ would kill you, didn’t happen in the UK. Plenty of vaccine for those who wanted it in the last few months.

Wasn't the "stupids" saying this. The Qld CHO stood up and said;

"I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca,"
"It is rare, but they are at an increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome."

She certainly wasn't the only one saying this kind of thing either.

You can't blame people, especially younger people, from being hesitant about getting AZ, and instead waiting for Pfizer.

Just fyi, I'm a 27yo male with no health conditions.

I was able to book in advance of most others in my demographic because I'm married to a nurse. The EARLIEST I could book for was the 6th of November. Hardly "plenty" to go around.

Since got my first shot through my workplace acquiring some doses privately, but not everyone has this option.

CTL

"It is rare, but they are at an increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome."

You can't blame people, especially younger people, from being hesitant about getting AZ, and instead waiting for Pfizer.

I was able to book in advance of most others in my demographic because I'm married to a nurse. The EARLIEST I could book for was the 6th of November. Hardly "plenty" to go around.

Since got my first shot through my workplace acquiring some doses privately, but not everyone has this option.
Yeah but you are in NSW so only know what the media is telling you :oops:

Albynsw

I live in NSW too and went on the Mydocs website and could book Pfizer the next day at a local doctor and that was last Saturday. Agree the media has had a field day making a mess out of the vaccines and the gubberment did a lousy job controlling the dialect

drmahodi

I live in NSW too and went on the Mydocs website and could book Pfizer the next day at a local doctor and that was last Saturday. Agree the media has had a field day making a mess out of the vaccines and the gubberment did a lousy job controlling the dialect
Sorry, should have clarified, this was when I went to book about 6 weeks ago. They have since added more appointments as they got more doses available.

CTL

Sorry, should have clarified, this was when I went to book about 6 weeks ago. They have since added more appointments as they got more doses available.
And therein lies the problem, be it in NSW or anywhere else in Australia. You should have had your second shot months ago, not your first shot 6 weeks ago, and we could have had the country opened up by now.

Kippie

This news item highlights the difference between the anti-mandate and anti-vax policies of the Florida government vs the Australian. If we followed the Florida "freedom" approach we'd have 60,000+ deaths.
I am glad to live in Australia where our leaders placed public health above freedom and the economy. Thousands of Australians who would otherwise be dead are now enjoying life.

2002GU3

You are kidding aren't you ? "our leaders placed health above freedom and the economy" - everytime Scomo opened his mouth, it was about "getting the economy going" he was on his soapbox trying to make the premiers re-open borders prematurely - gestapo Gladys was mouthing off about how dangerous the delta variant was before it was even in Australia, then when it arrived here she took weeks, not days, weeks to start locking down anything and then she only locked down working class areas 1 by 1 - never locked down the north shore or any of the wealthy suburbs where her rich friends and family live until there were 1,000's of cases daily. Then the bullshit on the NSW / QLD border, I have relatives on both sides including my 90 year old mother who can't see her daughters or grand kids because those "great leaders " are having some kind of ego bitch contest. Then the vaccine fast, and the continous lockdowns which don't seem to apply to them, travel restrictions which also don't apply to them, being dictated to about having a jab of what they decide you can have, forcing people to have a jab or they won't have a job, being denied our civil rights to go anywhere except where they dictate we can go and dictating who we can go with and when we can go, and to top it off everyone who has decided against getting jabbed (for whatever reason) is being punished with what amounts to house arrest or discriminated against by not being allowed to go to restaurants or to visit family or even to have a picnic, people are being punished yet these people haven't committed any crime. but yeah, they're great leaders doing wonders for the people they're meant to be serving, all I see is a bunch of self serving egotistical grubs trying to hold on to power how ever they can using the Australian people and fear as their tools.

Corndoggy

d980b6c912ec901806686d98b39884ac.jpeg.jpg

Kippie

You are kidding aren't you ? "our leaders placed health above freedom and the economy" - everytime Scomo opened his mouth, it was about "getting the economy going" he was on his soapbox trying to make the premiers re-open borders prematurely - gestapo Gladys was mouthing off about how dangerous the delta variant was before it was even in Australia, then when it arrived here she took weeks, not days, weeks to start locking down anything and then she only locked down working class areas 1 by 1 - never locked down the north shore or any of the wealthy suburbs where her rich friends and family live until there were 1,000's of cases daily. Then the bullshit on the NSW / QLD border, I have relatives on both sides including my 90 year old mother who can't see her daughters or grand kids because those "great leaders " are having some kind of ego bitch contest. Then the vaccine fast, and the continous lockdowns which don't seem to apply to them, travel restrictions which also don't apply to them, being dictated to about having a jab of what they decide you can have, forcing people to have a jab or they won't have a job, being denied our civil rights to go anywhere except where they dictate we can go and dictating who we can go with and when we can go, and to top it off everyone who has decided against getting jabbed (for whatever reason) is being punished with what amounts to house arrest or discriminated against by not being allowed to go to restaurants or to visit family or even to have a picnic, people are being punished yet these people haven't committed any crime. but yeah, they're great leaders doing wonders for the people they're meant to be serving, all I see is a bunch of self serving egotistical grubs trying to hold on to power how ever they can using the Australian people and fear as their tools.
The numbers speak for themselves. Our leaders made mistakes and the consequent deaths will forever be their responsibility. Could those deaths be avoided? Ofcourse, but no matter how fallible our leaders were, their decisions, unlike those in other parts of the world, prevented a much larger number of deaths in our country.
Yes, our personal freedoms have been severely limited, people have lost jobs and businesses have closed. Mental health has deteriorated, there's fear and uncertainty about the future.
But at least your mother is still alive to see her grand kids and millions of Australians are not mourning those who would have died if we did not do the hard yards. Thousands of Australians who would have died if we priced "freedom" above public health have a chance to continue to lead a productive life. Denying those people that privilege because your "civil rights" have been impinged is nothing short of selfishness.

Albynsw

The numbers speak for themselves. Our leaders made mistakes and the consequent deaths will forever be their responsibility. Could those deaths be avoided? Ofcourse, but no matter how fallible our leaders were, their decisions, unlike those in other parts of the world, prevented a much larger number of deaths in our country.
Yes, our personal freedoms have been severely limited, people have lost jobs and businesses have closed. Mental health has deteriorated, there's fear and uncertainty about the future.
But at least your mother is still alive to see her grand kids and millions of Australians are not mourning those who would have died if we did not do the hard yards. Thousands of Australians who would have died if we priced "freedom" above public health have a chance to continue to lead a productive life. Denying those people that privilege because your "civil rights" have been impinged is nothing short of selfishness.

Well said
I think the bigger picture is they generally have got it right and we could be in a far worse situation, others countries have shown us what could of happened
Sure there has been plenty of stuff ups and in hindsight could of done things differently but keep in mind this is new territory for everyone to deal with.

The other thing is we are talking about a government implementing a policy. Regardless of which government or which side of politics they come from, there are always stuff ups and points you can criticise on anything they do.

It is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture if you focus on all the small stuff

Rusty Panels

I was never against getting the jab but was not keen on the AZ as I am over 60 and the fact is that older people are more susceptible to blood clots, no ands, ifs or buts it's a fact. My younger sister has suffered from circulation issues and my Dad had a few strokes before his passing earlier this year. My grandmother also died as a result of clotting when I was in my teens. So there is a bit of a history in my family.
So therefore I wasn't keen on getting the AZ and held out for a while hoping that they would make the Pfizer available. As it turns out the AZ is the only vaccine available to me and is the only one that is likely to be made available to my age group for now.
Long story short, I will be getting my second jab next week and am pleased to say that after I had the first jab I had zero side effects.