LN106 Hilux one-peice tailshaft swap

OneHilux

Hi Everyone,

I recently had a mate offer me a LN167 solid tailshaft, as he was LS swapping the car, using a different gearbox and getting custom driveshafts made.

It’s a common swap for my older Hilux, but I couldn’t find one anywhere online and hadn’t checked out any wreckers yet, but seeing as he’s giving it away, I thought I’d better do it. The reason you do this is to eliminate the constantly failing centre bearing, (that I only just replaced but oh well...) and simply have a one piece tailshaft. However I was warned by another guy that it could change the diff angles and somehow ruin the diff or transfer case. He mentioned something about the driveshaft moving in and out of the transfer case, and a few other things about uni joint angles I didn’t really understand. (Anyone who is wondering, yes the car is lifted. It’s a 1-2” lift

Does anyone know if this tailshaft swap is as straightforward as it seems? Is it safe on the diff and gearbox?

current tailshaft
86EC932F-2F93-4066-BAF2-870CAF7FC244.jpeg

Ln167 tailshaft
AD972BE1-B87D-4D71-8AED-E181338A43AB.jpeg

Cheers,
Morgan

magwani

Hello folks, Did somewhat of a pursuit around yet nothing I have found has truly responded to the inquiry. Right now the inside bearing in the Hilux continues onward, appears to be because of the lift-pack as the middle bearing area has never been balanced.
Kodi nox

Last edited:

Batts88

A long one piece drive shaft will be more vulnerable to damage off road because it exposes a larger area where a 2 piece keeps most of the drive shaft up high out of the way and would be better off road. I would go and talk to Hardy Splicer if you have one nearby or ring them. My GQ has an 850mm chassis extension and runs one of their 2 piece drive shafts with a centre bearing. The bearing was still fine after 12yrs on all types of terrain I only had it changed because I kept flogging out the uni joint around every 6 months or so. They found a small dent in the shaft and fixed it and rebalanced the shaft it's good again. If they can make a drive shaft with a centre bearing strong enough fo a 3 ton turbo GQ then a Hilux should be easy.

Attachments

• 20190414_173728.jpg
    20190414_173728.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 305

Petunia

A 167 shaft has greasable spline that moves in and out of the shaft itself, the coupling into the gearbox wont move. The angle will be less than with a center bearing shaft, regardless of the lift.

OneHilux

Thanks for the replies guys, I know this is a pretty basic concept but I was hoping to hear a bit more about it. I’ve got a 167 driveshaft off a mate as a return favour for something else I did for him earlier. It’s in good condition, the uni joints won’t need replacing and it has no dents and definitely no bends anywhere. I just finished painting it today. Will put up some pics on my build thread once it’s in:)

Batts88

Before you remove the old shaft measure from the ground to the bottom of the shaft near the centre bearing take a pic from the side as well if you like the do the same after you fit the new shaft the compare the 2 and see if you have to be more careful about clearance on rocks etc.

Batts88

Could be the angle of the photo is there enough gap between it, the exhaust. Also it looks good cleaned and painted.

Last edited:

OneHilux

Yeah it has plenty of clearance on the exhaust, I thought that as well when I looked at the photo but it’s just playing mind games with you hehe