Little gems, GU Ute build and Dmax Daily

littleGem

Nice lookin ute mate.
Not sure if your into mud driving but muddy greasy hands and a wood grain steering wheel, you may aswell be holding a bar of soap, super slippery.
Looks bloody good tho, hope the engine issue isn't major.
Yeah the wood grain was just something I had lying around and the stock wheel literally disintegrated in my hand coming home one day so its better then no wheel.

and quick update I am going full rebuild should hopefully be ready in 3 weeks or so then to say I'm excited is an understatement

littleGem

Can I be rude and ask what a rebuild is worth? 9 k
not rude at all cob, I'll be honest I did a lot of ringing around for a couple of months getting prices talking to shops, engine builders, 4WD accessory shops etc, and have gotten prices for 4-14k (these have all be with the same question full rebuild, new injectors and a rebuilt pump I settled on a local bloke who's doing it for 8k (minus pump as I just cant afford it at this stage, hell 8k was a stretch) if you do go down this route do not send it to your first shop some people have got the rep and charge accordingly (nothing wrong with that) so people have no idea and just want your money.

oldlux

One of my sons and I did a full rebuild on his 1HZ for around 2K. New pistons, rings, bearings, re-bore, crank grind, the whole kit and caboodle and we used all name brand parts and it was really no harder than a normal SI engine.

littleGem

Hey gus after some advice, looking at new shocks and curious if you had to pick one (money etc aside) would you go
-king remote res
-fox remote res
-superior engineering
-armada remote res?
The ute will be used for bassically everything from your local extreme tracks on the weekend then disappear up the cape, VHC, simmo etc on the monday so chasing the best of the best to handle the corrugations, etc and because can

littleGem

Bit of an update bought a set of hyperflex radius arms and superflex front sway bar yesterday so should be here next week and will also have the first chat with the engineer to see what he wants done in regard to the leaf to coil conversion,lift and tyres next week so things are coming along slowly, will prob be the last update this year and then I'll kick things off full swing again next year when things hopefully calm down a bit, but here's some pics from the last trip away on the banks of the coxs river.
Cheers guys
20181018_185913.png
20181018_185913.png
20181018_185937.png

littleGem

Bit of an update, got hyperflex radius arms put in with fox remote reservoir shocks. Superflex sway bar, 80 series bumpstops, and 4" panhard so it drives a hell of a lot smoother now.
Rear shocks are still standard length so that will change hopefully very early year. Getting somewhere now
FB_IMG_1544642942535.jpg
FB_IMG_1544642940645.jpg
FB_IMG_1544642937526.jpg

dno67

Looking good mate, will be interesting to how those shocks go without any protective covers over the rods.

littleGem

Yeah see what happens, I did look into it and apparently they go alright without, but they are completely rebuildable so if need be I'll replace the parts and put a cover over them

Maxy

Just wondering what brand awning that is and are you happy. In the hunt for a good swing around awning for my car. Thanks Craig

littleGem

Hey mate, its the 30 Second Awening (I'll throw the link at the bottom) its more or less exactly like the AluCab awening but for a lot cheaper, also if you haven't already have a look at the Rhino rack awening, endorsed by the Cancer council and was my first choice till I found this one
https://www.au4x4.com.au/30-second-wing-awning

2002GU3

Just wondering what brand awning that is and are you happy. In the hunt for a good swing around awning for my car. Thanks Craig
If your after a cheaper one, 4wd supercentre has a batwing for just under $500.

littleGem

As per the history of even little Jobs turning into massive pains in the ass with this Ute, it went in for a few little things to meet engineering specs and to finish the tray only to find tons of rust in the chassis, so decided on throwing a new wagon chassis on it, then found a bunch or rust in the Cab, so few pics of the new cab (bassically everything from the back wall forward is now mine, minus the seats) so another few weeks off the road, and I will pretty much get a whole new ute back, split on names though, not sure on either "Franken truck" or "Franken troll" but hopefully now there should be No more surprises in the future, but we'll see
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5463.JPG
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5406.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5407.jpg

littleGem

New chassis is already and waiting the cab, want to give a shout out to Kinselas customs for doing some aweome work, and being extremely paitent and helpful have also fitted up some slider mounts to go on at a later date
received_451062432288595.jpeg
received_2335355796583412.jpeg

discomatt

Years ago when I had my panel shop I had one come in for a few rust repairs before being sold, I refused to fix it, most of the body mount points on the chassis were like yours and none repairable , would hate to see what would happen in an accident.
Nice job on your chassis fix/swap

littleGem

Years ago when I had my panel shop I had one come in for a few rust repairs before being sold, I refused to fix it, most of the body mount points on the chassis were like yours and none repairable , would hate to see what would happen in an accident.
Nice job on your chassis fix/swap
Yeah we did discuss fixing what I had with a panel shop, but just didn't seam worth it, because who knows what else we would've found in yrs to come, so just scrapping it all seemed smarter