Change background image

Little desert

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Todd, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

Gday can anyone give me a bit of info on the little desert. Taking a group up there next month would like to know of some good tracks..

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Next month is pushing comfortable time of year for little desert, could be pretty warm.

Mcdonald "highway" up the centre is a nice drive, most of the tracks are pretty similar terrain - sandy and fairly flat.
    Camping is pretty limited, not many clear flat spots other than the designated camp sites. Eastern most section no camping other than dedicated sites.

3. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Spooner and mac_man_luke like this.
  4. Todd

Todd New Member

Cheers mac we are actually camping at Duffholme cottage & camping and driving in each day.. hopefully temperature is ok but hay that's what aircon is for. Thanks bigcol I will have a look

5. Ramm

Ramm New Member

Crossed it from east to west years ago. Maybe even 10 or 15 years ago.
    I remember maps were more helpful than I was expecting (couldn't afford gps then).
    Lots of native bees.
    Temperature was fine.

*Edit* Oh yeah. And not a great place if you are precious about the vehicle paint getting scratched.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Todd likes this.
  6. Neil Watts

Neil Watts Active Member

I'm heading to big desert on cup weekend, 7 day forecast leading up attached.

Attached Files:

Todd likes this.
  7. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Ouch, i did big desert once at 35ºC and it was not much fun. Spent one day driving, couldnt really get out car for lunch for heat/flys/bees - ended up having dinner at Murrayville pub and heading home early. Sand was nice and fluffy though.

discomatt and Todd like this.
  8. Neil Watts

Neil Watts Active Member

If you can believe these long range forecasts it's supposed to be mid 20's for the following week.

mac_man_luke likes this.
  9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

IMO Little Desert , Big Desert and Wyperfield are all great but not in hot weather, very little shade, relentless sun and millions of fly's . I like Big Desert the best and all can be done in one trip over 5-6 days

mac_man_luke likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd New Member

Thanks for all your advice guys. Cheers