Change background image

Little desert

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Todd, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

Gday can anyone give me a bit of info on the little desert. Taking a group up there next month would like to know of some good tracks..

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Next month is pushing comfortable time of year for little desert, could be pretty warm.

Mcdonald "highway" up the centre is a nice drive, most of the tracks are pretty similar terrain - sandy and fairly flat.
    Camping is pretty limited, not many clear flat spots other than the designated camp sites. Eastern most section no camping other than dedicated sites.

3. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Spooner and mac_man_luke like this.
  4. Todd

Todd New Member

Cheers mac we are actually camping at Duffholme cottage & camping and driving in each day.. hopefully temperature is ok but hay that's what aircon is for. Thanks bigcol I will have a look

5. Ramm

Ramm New Member

Crossed it from east to west years ago. Maybe even 10 or 15 years ago.
    I remember maps were more helpful than I was expecting (couldn't afford gps then).
    Lots of native bees.
    Temperature was fine.

*Edit* Oh yeah. And not a great place if you are precious about the vehicle paint getting scratched.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Todd likes this.
  6. Neil Watts

Neil Watts Active Member

I'm heading to big desert on cup weekend, 7 day forecast leading up attached.

Attached Files:

Todd likes this.
  7. mac_man_luke

Ouch, i did big desert once at 35ºC and it was not much fun. Spent one day driving, couldnt really get out car for lunch for heat/flys/bees - ended up having dinner at Murrayville pub and heading home early. Sand was nice and fluffy though.

discomatt and Todd like this.
  8. Neil Watts

Neil Watts Active Member

If you can believe these long range forecasts it's supposed to be mid 20's for the following week.

mac_man_luke likes this.
  9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

IMO Little Desert , Big Desert and Wyperfield are all great but not in hot weather, very little shade, relentless sun and millions of fly's . I like Big Desert the best and all can be done in one trip over 5-6 days

mac_man_luke likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd New Member

Thanks for all your advice guys. Cheers

Ramm likes this.
  11. Ramm

Ramm New Member

Heya Todd. Have you done this trip yet? I'm curious to know how it went?

mac_man_luke likes this.
  12. Todd

Todd New Member

Yeah just did it this weekend gone. Was a good weekend we stayed on private land and drove into the desert from there. We stayed ar a place called Duffholmes Cottage & camping. Was awsome place with lots of hidden gems laying around the property to explore. The little desert I thought was great for people who have never driven on sand. We are doing a robe trip early next year so it was good to give people a idea what sand is like. To be honest it's not a place I'd rush back to in a hurry. It's a nice place but it is all the same and no real challenge for the 4x4s. How ever if u love wild life there is plenty there. Mt Arapiles is definitely worth a look the views from the top are spectacular. So over all I think 2 days is plenty of time to cover the desert.

mac_man_luke and Ramm like this.
  13. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Todd, different country through there, Little Desert can be a little bland but it has it's gems.
    I prefer Ngarkat (Border Tk), Big Desert and Murray Sunset parks as there are loads more in the way of interest and terrain.

Re Beachport - Robe . . . the beaches can be far more difficult at times than any inland / desert sand, and those things called 'tides' need to be known and avoid driving on incoming tide.
    In particular, watch out for Erringtons and Little Dip Beaches, they are neighbours and are very often super soft.
    Tyre pressures at 10, stay high on flat soft track, and keep that momentum up . . . or take the inland track if worried on these, watch a few others go through first.

14. Todd

Todd New Member

I'm still happy we went it was great for the clubs first trip away I put q lot of time in to it planing what tracks to do there. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of fishing in the river there one day.

I've done q little beach driving a few years ago so I'm aware of soft sand. A lot or people in the group have never driven on sand at all.

Arw there any large camp grounds over robe way

15. Les PK Ranger

The camps in the conservation park are fairly small.
    These need to be pre booked and paid online, so if you do this early you might find one large enough for your group and book it out.
    You could find a dune camp in around either side of the buggy club, or if it suits the caravan parks either side can be a good base for groups, lee the ladies happy with showers.

Todd likes this.
  16. mac_man_luke

@Grumpy has a great caravan park at cape jaffa with a nice lawn camping area out the back
    or Wrights bay is good cheap camping

Les PK Ranger and Todd like this.
  17. Les PK Ranger

Good point Luke, much quieter and not too far to go for day drives.