Lithium Battery for camper

stevemc181

It's not only weight of the LifePo4 that is an advantage it's also lifespan related to DOD. A typical VLRA battery will have around 250-300 cycles if dropped to to 80%DOD, the LifePo4 will have around 5000 cycles. Obviously these figures change depending on battery manufacturer/conditions etc. The basics of a lifepo4 having more usable amp hours is because you can subject it to a far deeper DOD than a typical Lead acid/Gel type battery and still have a lengthy lifespan.

I've been running mine now with no issues since its been installed, I've had occasions where I've forgotten to turn my DC charger on (I have it switched for testing purposes) and the BMS or LV shut off has shut the battery down as it should. Either that or the Victron monitor will be beeping at me whe I get in the car in the morning, warning me at a pre set alarm level. Generally speaking I can camp from around 4:00pm with a fully charged battery, run a fridge and a freezer, plus my camp lighting, water pump as required. When I start the next morning, I've rarely consumed more than 30-40% of battery power.

I could have set up this system far cheaper than what I have done, and done away with the Victron Monitor, additional LV shutoff, DC charger etc, but I wanted the ability to monitor it closely and look for optimum battery life. It is all working as it should be and I'm happy with the performance so far. I'll eventually change it to a Lithium specific DC charger, but for now I'll just reset the Redarc when required.

Many people can't see the merit of a dual battery install such as this, but it satisfys my technology curiosity and I enjoy the challenge of getting something to work well that others tell me won't. 16 months down and plenty more to go!

Juggs

I was running a 6amp lipo battery on one of my karts as the starter motor was having issues cranking fast enough to tstart the engine

it just exploded in the trailer one day with enough force to break 2 32mm chassis rails and crack the engine head

mac_man_luke

yea lithium batteries can be a bit dangerous if not treated right (or even if they are!)

Small batteries in mobiles etc can exploded significantly never mind bigger ones that are on the market now for campers/cars.

Classed as dangerous goods for aviation and bigger ones can't fly at all.

They are damn expensive still too.

akin

Hi

How is this system going ? Looking at the same brand of batteries but using 2 by 60ah in parallel but with no DC to DC charger just using the alternator suitable diode to achieve a max of 14.4v with a 200 watt solar panel for when I cant be arsed driving and need a beer. Will use a Victron BMS702 battery monitor to understand load volts etc

Cheers

smitty_r51

been in the car for what, 2.5 years now...last 12 months permanently as i have never got around to taking it out. still holds charge, never had any issues, lasts a couple of days easy and charges from the solar panel super fast. very happy

stevemc181

No problems with my setup in over two years now. Still charging it with the Redarc BCDC1225-LV. I'll get around to changing the charger one day to either a higher amp LifeP04 specific one, or just remove the DCDC charger and charge direct from the alternator.

akin

Cheers guys

The bloke told not to bother with either a Lipo charger or a DC-DC job and just use an isolator and limit volts to 14.4 max. I
Cheers

smitty_r51

Cheers guys

The bloke told not to bother with either a Lipo charger or a DC-DC job and just use an isolator and limit volts to 14.4 max. I
Cheers
I got the same advice... Charging mine direct from the alternator... Tends to get 13.8-14.2 at the second battery... Need to work out where the voltage drop is still

akin

cable size ?what size are you using? I am thinking 4g or 2g for winching and or jump starting purposes

akin

No worries but to be honest I have only used the bloody thing once in vain....so wouldn't be a regular thing. It more a risk mitigation item (much like lockers) for when I travel alone which is a bit as me and missus love escaping by ourselves at least once a month.

stevemc181

Just an update on an old thread.
My Lifepo4 battery is still going strong 6 years down the track. It’s been used and abused and is still going great. The only thing I’ve changed is that I now have an Enerdrive EN3DC40+ charger.
This is a much better than the old non Lithium type Redarc DC charger I was using, it’s now all set and forget.
Hopefully I’ll get a few more years out of the battery yet :)

Bru9

Test your internal resistance at the terminals, put a 5A load on fully charged rested for at least 12hrs, note voltage with constant pretty accurate 5A load. Then do 50A straight after. the diff in voltage between the two divided by diff in amps gives the internal resistance. too bad you didn't get a baseline 6yrs back to compare. the number rises as the battery health starts to decline.
12yrs plus looks to be realistic in well cooled enviroment, but some also showing their age after just 8yrs. good agm can get up to 9years.
I have moved away from dropins to barecells, they are quite easy to install and no harder in some cases than a plastic dropin. taller cells utilize more
space too so 180-200AH in the same floor area as 120AH.
edit: made a booboo, do the test at room temp & in the mid range SoC.

Last edited:

stevemc181

Just an update on how my EV Power 100a/h Lifepo4 battery is going.
It's now been in use for 7 years and still holding up ok. I gave it a capacity test and it still has a usable 80 a/h down to 12v. This equates to around the 90% DOD mark. So I'd say I've lost around 10% of the original rated 100 a/h capacity. It still does the job for me, as I find I consume around 60a/h from when I pull up to camp to when I pack up and get moving again. This is usually around 16 hours or so of sitting at camp for an overnighter with no charge input to the battery.

Lost1?

Good to hear. Your write up on the Pajero forum was my motivation to take this path. Like everyone who likes touring and remote travel weight is an issue. A 20kg saving over a good 100ah AGM plus greater DOD was the clincher for me. I am about to do round 2 of how to shave weight out of my Ute. I can be up to 50-100 kg over GVM at times.