Lithium batteries

I’m looking at putting in 100amp lithium battery if the poptop, possibly iTechworld, and a slimline 50 amp battery in the Jeep, again possibly iTechworld, as it appears I don’t need to change the charging systems, any thoughts, looking at a good product with a reasonable price.

red hilux

Whilst you don’t need to change your charge system, it’s better to have a lithium profile charger

I’ve got the itech 120amp lithium battery and was running a projecta 25amp agm profile. While it did charge the battery, it didn’t do it well. I’ve been driving for 4 hours and it still hasn’t charged the battery……. Which wasn’t flat.

i changed to the projecta 25amp lithium charger. Way better.

A mate has a similar set up. Itech 120 and running a ctek agm charger. Didn’t charge it well. Just the other day, he had changed his charge system to a ctek with lit profile

Also look at Renogy.
I wish I had their 50 amp dc dc charger. Unfortunately I couldn’t physically fit it in the 4wd.

Whilst you don’t need to change your charge system, it’s better to have a lithium profile charger

I’ve got the itech 120amp lithium battery and was running a projecta 25amp agm profile. While it did charge the battery, it didn’t do it well. I’ve been driving for 4 hours and it still hasn’t charged the battery……. Which wasn’t flat.

i changed to the projecta 25amp lithium charger. Way better.

A mate has a similar set up. Itech 120 and running a ctek agm charger. Didn’t charge it well. Just the other day, he had changed his charge system to a ctek with lit profile

Also look at Renogy.
I wish I had their 50 amp dc dc charger. Unfortunately I couldn’t physically fit it in the 4wd.
Thanks for the heads up, in the car I run through Renogy 20amp dcdc…..

red hilux

If this was me (and what I will do when I get a Ute setup ), for the pop top buy a 200ah lithium, 2000w inverter, so you can have luxury for remote or everyday touring, like an instant electric hws

boobook

If this was me (and what I will do when I get a Ute setup ), for the pop top buy a 200ah lithium, 2000w inverter, so you can have luxury for remote or everyday touring, like an instant electric hws

I wouldn't rush out to get one. I was looking into Electric instant hot water when we did our kitchen renovation the sales guy talked me out of it saying they chew power, he said they cost around $5 per day to run and most people switch them off. Not sure how true that is but he sure talked me out of it.

Yep they are instant hot water, but unlike the gas ones, they are NOT instant power use. They heat a small tank slowly the whole time, and then when you use it, it goes to full power.

For that model of HWS, physics shows it would take about 20 mins to heat its 7l of water from 15 to 55 degrees. BUT look at the specs. 1000/1500W. If it is like every other expensive, high-efficiency instant HWS, it will preheat the water at 1000W ( cycled) until you use it. But it is on ebay so that $80 chinese unapproved one may be better than the $500 approved, "efficient" models.

So those 200AH of batteries will last around 5 hours if you have hot water ready but don't use it, and about 2 hours if you wash the dishes twice.

Lithium batteries are being sold as the electronic wonder drug for 4wd power. It's great, but not really useful for anything that converts electricity to heat. That crap is only good if you camp at powered caravan sites.

For $80 try it at home. Get a free power pal to measure the power use. Oh don't touch the water when it is coming out of the tap. It may be "hot" in voltage as well as temperature.

Last edited:

red hilux

its not something that you leave on all the time, just turn it on when you know your going to use it, and turn it on while driving if you can

Fortunately we have gas hot water in the van, battery basically runs led lights, tv & diesel heater….