List of Australia's Iconic Tracks & Places.....

lostboys

Just back from Vic High Country Billy Goats Track, which you already have Rob. Yeah, a great spot.
Do you have Vic High Country's 'The Haunted Stream'. Closed just now, but a great track with over 50 river crossings.

Agustin Reymomo

Gents.... I'm wanting to build up a bit of a Database of Iconic Tracks & Places throughout Australia that I can use to plan for future trips & eventually retirement time.... I'm also searching for gps tracklogs of these tracks to help in the planning.....

I know there will many differing personal opinions of what is a Iconic Track/Place, but I'm open to suggestions as it will all go into my database for the near future & retirement touring..... :)

If we could list the track by Name and State located in that would also be helpful.....

I'll start off...... - (* indicates that I've already travelled along it but would also do it again)

QLD:
The Cape York (Old Telegraph Track-OTT)*
The Frenchmans Track*
Maytown Track (Old Coach Road)*
Bloomfield Track*
The CREB Track
Cape Melville Trip
The Zig-Zag Track
Haddons Cnr*
Poeppels' Cnr*
The QAA Line (Simpson Desert)*
The GULF Track* (Savannah Way)
Fraser Island*

SA:
The Simpson Desert (French Tk / Rig Rd / Knolls Tk / Erabena Tk / WAA Line / Colson Tk / K1 Line Tk / Warburton Tk)*
Walkers Crossing Track
Birdsville Track*
Oodnadatta Track*
Strzelecki Track*
The Bore Track -- (Bottom section possibly CLOSED Now ??)
Cordillo Downs Track*
Flinders Ranges NP*
Gammon Ranges NP
Gawler Ranges NP
GOOGS Track
Tallaringa Trk / Anne Beadell Track
Coffin Bay NP
Coorong NP
Tallaringa Conservation Park
Surveyor Generals Corner
Camerons Cnr*
Binns Track
SA/VIC Border Track (Pinnaroo to Bordertown)
Canunda NP
Robe/Beachport - Beach Runs ??
The Pedirka Track, (& whatever the bit between Oodna & Pedirka T/O)

NT:
Hay River Track
Madigan's Line Track
Geographical Centre of the Simson Desert
Colson Track*
Binns Track
Gunbarrel Track*
Finke River Gorge Track*
Mulga Park Track
Sandover Hwy*
Tanami Track
Burketown-Normanton Track*
Kakadu NP*
Arnhem Land
Litchield NP*
Gregory NP
Frew River Loop in Davenport Rges*
Mount Conner
Ruby Gap
East & West MacDonald Ranges

WA:
The Gibb River Road (+ Surrounding Areas)*
Canning Stock Route (CSR - Gary Hwy / Talawana Trk )*
Sandy Blight Junction
Rudall River NP
Gunbarrel Hwy*
Hollands Track
Kalumburu Road - Mitchell Falls
Dunns Track
Eagle Hwy
Connie Sue Hwy
Sandy Blight Jct
Anne Beadell Hwy
Steep Point* (Most Western Point of Aus)
Esperance - Israelite Bay - Bilbunya Dunes - Beach Runs ??
Yeagarup Beach/Callcup Dunes. - Beach Runs ??
Carsen River Track
Butchers Track (??)
Munja Track

NSW:
Darling River Run
Stockton Beach (closed atm)
Mungo National Park
The Bridle Track / Hill End
Caves to Caves (Wombeyan Caves, Abercrombie Caves, Jenolan Caves) plus optional Mt Werong and Yerranderie
Entire Koscioszko NP region (Koscioszko itself, Cabramurra, Eucombene, all the power stations and water reseviors, Yarrangobilly Caves, etc)
Bendethera / Deua NP
Barrington Tops NP
Oxley Wild Rivers / Macleay River / New England NP / Guy Fawkes NP
Newnes SF for unlimited 4wding, the Lost City and the Glow Worms Tunnel.

VIC:
McCabes Corner (SA/VIC/NSW Corner - Private Property)
SA/VIC Border Track (Pinnaroo to Bordertown)
Mallee Drive
Wonnangatta Drive
Snowy River Drive
Davies Plain Drive
Billy Goats Bluff
Blue Rag Range.
Little Desert NP
Big Desert NP
Wyperfield
Pyrenees
Mt Cole

TAS:
Montezuma falls track
Eddystone point lighthouse to Ansons Bay track
Balfour Track
Climies Track

I've also heard of the Butchers Track but not sure as to where it is.....
If we can keep this post "on Topic", that would be greatly appreciated....

BTW: posted on other sites as well.....

Hi I have just join the group. I bought a Kluger AWD. Do you have a recomendation of a beach track I can try not far away from Wahroonga (eg could be near Central Coast). I know Kluger is not a perfect off road car. Looking to have a different day at the beach with my family. Thanks

maddon

there are some soft roads around the watagans that are really nice as are the barringtons / i would recommend all these for a soft roader

rob_macca67

Just back from Vic High Country Billy Goats Track, which you already have Rob. Yeah, a great spot.
Do you have Vic High Country's 'The Haunted Stream'. Closed just now, but a great track with over 50 river crossings.

I'll add it to the list with the comment "Now Closed" at the end. (is it permanently closed now?)

Vic

Butcher country track

I'll add this one as well to the VIC list

Tassi

Sandy cape track
Grandville harbour / cronicall rocks

I'll add this one as well to the TAS list (Is this ALL one track or 3 different tracks?)

phs

I'll add it to the list with the comment "Now Closed" at the end. (is it permanently closed now?)

I'll add this one as well to the VIC list

I'll add this one as well to the TAS list (Is this ALL one track or 3 different tracks?)

2 tracks mate

- Sandy Cape

And

- Grandville Harbour to Pieman Heads
( Cronicall Rocks )

phs

...... It is a seasonal closure track but is currently closed due to be unsafe ( big big holes and rutts ) wear and tear.

As far as I know it will reopen eventually but no date is set

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Hey Ziggy, does that include the top half from Epsilon up? I thought it was just the bottom part through Bollards Lagoon? I have accessed it a couple of time via the Toona gate but not for a couple of years now.
Without reading all posts to see if anyone else has already answered this question, I can confirm that the northern part of the Bore Track was still open when I travelled it eighteen months ago.

cactusfizzy61

Creb track is fantastic, I saw not a soul and the waterfall at end of track is spectacular. nice camp ground next to river.very easy when I did it hardest bit was finding the track starting point..
Gary Junction Rd NT., Talawana Track WA have not done them yet but maybe next month, they lead to Rudall River which is on ya list I see.

cactusfizzy61

Hey Ziggy, does that include the top half from Epsilon up? I thought it was just the bottom part through Bollards Lagoon? I have accessed it a couple of time via the Toona gate but not for a couple of years now.
Wow brings back memories Epsilon Station.I was only 18 we helped blow up some rocks for their septic tank. Then it rained for 3 days it was amazing especially after people tell you how boring the desert is.No way! Then the wild flowers came out , that was when I fell in love with real Australia.

barcher

The East Arnhem Land Track...
It's 750kms one way to Nhulunbuy in another country on the same continent and 750kms back out to the rest of Australia.
Getting the permits sorted. Should be in there early next week.

maddon

there are some great places to go to that are not heavy 4x4 tracks but definitely worth the effort - Litchfield,grampians,Mt Kaputar , sky trek, five beaches, baalbone, Kakadu , Lorella Springs , and there are some great 4x4 places within these areas such as the three 'lost cities' in nsw/nt/qld

barcher

Nhulunbuy, well worth the long drive.
16288288169995344980179494203689.jpg