List of Australia's Iconic Tracks & Places.....

rob_macca67

Gents.... I'm wanting to build up a bit of a Database of Iconic Tracks & Places throughout Australia that I can use to plan for future trips & eventually retirement time.... I'm also searching for gps tracklogs of these tracks to help in the planning.....

I know there will many differing personal opinions of what is a Iconic Track/Place, but I'm open to suggestions as it will all go into my database for the near future & retirement touring..... :)

If we could list the track by Name and State located in that would also be helpful.....

I'll start off...... - (* indicates that I've already travelled along it but would also do it again)

QLD:
The Cape York (Old Telegraph Track-OTT)*
The Frenchmans Track*
Maytown Track (Old Coach Road)*
Bloomfield Track*
The CREB Track
Cape Melville Trip
The Zig-Zag Track
Haddons Cnr*
Poeppels' Cnr*
The QAA Line (Simpson Desert)*
The GULF Track* (Savannah Way)
Fraser Island*

SA:
The Simpson Desert (French Tk / Rig Rd / Knolls Tk / Erabena Tk / WAA Line / Colson Tk / K1 Line Tk / Warburton Tk)*
Walkers Crossing Track
Birdsville Track*
Oodnadatta Track*
Strzelecki Track*
The Bore Track -- (Bottom section possibly CLOSED Now ??)
Cordillo Downs Track*
Flinders Ranges NP*
Gammon Ranges NP
Gawler Ranges NP
GOOGS Track
Tallaringa Trk / Anne Beadell Track
Coffin Bay NP
Coorong NP
Tallaringa Conservation Park
Surveyor Generals Corner
Camerons Cnr*
Binns Track
SA/VIC Border Track (Pinnaroo to Bordertown)
Canunda NP
Robe/Beachport - Beach Runs ??
The Pedirka Track, (& whatever the bit between Oodna & Pedirka T/O)

NT:
Hay River Track
Madigan's Line Track
Geographical Centre of the Simson Desert
Colson Track*
Binns Track
Gunbarrel Track*
Finke River Gorge Track*
Mulga Park Track
Sandover Hwy*
Tanami Track
East Arnhem Land Track
Burketown-Normanton Track*
Kakadu NP*
Arnhem Land
Litchield NP*
Gregory NP
Frew River Loop in Davenport Rges*
Mount Conner
Ruby Gap
East & West MacDonald Ranges

WA:
The Gibb River Road (+ Surrounding Areas)*
Canning Stock Route (CSR - Gary Hwy / Talawana Trk )*
Sandy Blight Junction
Rudall River NP
Gunbarrel Hwy*
Hollands Track
Kalumburu Road - Mitchell Falls
Dunns Track
Eagle Hwy
Talawana Track / Gary Junction
Connie Sue Hwy
Sandy Blight Jct
Anne Beadell Hwy
Steep Point* (Most Western Point of Aus)
Esperance - Israelite Bay - Bilbunya Dunes - Beach Runs ??
Yeagarup Beach/Callcup Dunes. - Beach Runs ??
Carsen River Track
Butchers Track (??)
Munja Track

NSW:
Darling River Run
Stockton Beach (closed atm)
Mungo National Park
The Bridle Track / Hill End
Caves to Caves (Wombeyan Caves, Abercrombie Caves, Jenolan Caves) plus optional Mt Werong and Yerranderie
Entire Koscioszko NP region (Koscioszko itself, Cabramurra, Eucombene, all the power stations and water reseviors, Yarrangobilly Caves, etc)
Bendethera / Deua NP
Barrington Tops NP
Oxley Wild Rivers / Macleay River / New England NP / Guy Fawkes NP
Newnes SF for unlimited 4wding, the Lost City and the Glow Worms Tunnel.

VIC:
McCabes Corner (SA/VIC/NSW Corner - Private Property)
Mallee Drive
Wonnangatta Drive
Snowy River Drive (VHC)
Davies Plain Drive (VHC)
Billy Goats Bluff (VHC)
Blue Rag Range. (VHC)
Little Desert NP
Big Desert NP
Wyperfield
Pyrenees (VHC)
Mt Cole (VHC)
Butcher country track (VHC)
The Haunted Stream (VHC) - (Closed during Winter Season)

TAS:
Montezuma falls track
Eddystone point lighthouse to Ansons Bay track
Balfour Track
Climies Track
Sandy cape track
Grandville Harbour to Pieman Heads (Cronicall Rocks)

I've also heard of the Butchers Track but not sure as to where it is.....
If we can keep this post "on Topic", that would be greatly appreciated....

BTW: posted on other sites as well.....

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
. . . and Canunda NP.

Maybe even Border Track, esp Pinnaroo to Bordertown, a very popular track here in SA.

Do you want NSW and VIC tracks ?
Certainly quite a few in those states if you wanted to do a comprehensive Aust wide list.

mikehzz

Yes, there are a few Vic High country tracks that definately rate iconic status for starters. Always a good summer trip.

oldlux

FYI the Bore Tk is now closed.
For SA I'd include Robe/Beachport.
Hey Ziggy, does that include the top half from Epsilon up? I thought it was just the bottom part through Bollards Lagoon? I have accessed it a couple of time via the Toona gate but not for a couple of years now.

rob_macca67

. . . and Canunda NP.

Maybe even Border Track, esp Pinnaroo to Bordertown, a very popular track here in SA.

Do you want NSW and VIC tracks ?
Certainly quite a few in those states if you wanted to do a comprehensive Aust wide list.

Yes certainly.... ALL States would be great thanks......

I add these new ones to the list :)

Bomber2012

In Victoria Billy Goats and Blue Rag for a start , plenty more in Vicco will let others throw a few more in .

rob_macca67

In Victoria Billy Goats and Blue Rag for a start , plenty more in Vicco will let others throw a few more in .

Yep, sorry, it's been a while since I've updated the list......

List has now been updated.... Always keen to add more iconic places to go....hopefully OFF the blacktop though :)

80lover96gxl

Cool, will Do :)

I know about the Desert ones, but Wyperfield & Pyrenees, what are these ?? National Parks ??
Wyperfield is also an NP , and the Pyrenees is state forrest,,same as Mt Cole which is basically next door to the Pyrenees.
Sorry should have added that.:oops::)

jacnden

interesting reading, but its very hard to compare all these tracks. blue rag is spectacular but only 14ks long and can be done in an afternoon from melbourne, the tele track is nearly 200ks long and isolated but apart from a couple of creek crossings not all that hard . the darling river run is is basically 2wd on good dirt roads
all good tracks to do but how do you define iconic?
is it length , difficulty, remoteness, ?

ToyPrado

VIC:McCabes Corner (SA/VIC/NSW Corner - Private Property)
Mallee Drive
Wonnangatta Drive
Snowy River Drive
Davies Plain Drive
Billy Goats Bluff
Blue Rag Range.
Little Desert NP
Big Desert NP

Wyperfield
Pyrenees
Mt Cole
We have been to these ones and loved then

I would add Crooked River Track to this list as well, 21 river crossings in 7km I think

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
all good tracks to do but how do you define iconic?
is it length , difficulty, remoteness, ?

The million $ question mate :)
Suppose iconic means legendary, and while just about driving anywhere 4x4 is needed is great in itself, maybe the word iconic is hard to pin on many of the above.

To me, iconic would also entail a history too, and maybe be a track to get you from here to there, across vast tracts of country . . . Anne Beadall Tk, Canning Stock Route, Simpson Desert French Line, not so much a destination in itself.

Just thinking about it, I would classify Googs Tk in there as a classic, even though a fairly short couple of days drive, the history and remoteness makes it iconic.

jacnden

To me, iconic would also entail a history too, and maybe be a track to get you from here to there, across vast tracts of country . . . Anne Beadall Tk, Canning Stock Route, Simpson Desert French Line, not so much a destination in itself.
yes , I think the history bit is part of what makes something iconic. its very hard to call some of the high country tracks iconic no matter how tough they might be
I remember my first trip into the Wonnangatta valley, that's something I call iconic, even though it was a relatively easy trip. the stories of opening up the area to cattle, the murders, the characters involved all made it something special

lostboys

Interesting. Just putting together a heap of `places of interest' & some prelim tracks for an upcoming longer foray.
Thanks Rob (& all)

rob_macca67

Interesting. Just putting together a heap of `places of interest' & some prelim tracks for an upcoming longer foray.
Thanks Rob (& all)
Cheers for that..... I've also managed to source a fair few of the GPS Tracklogs of a lot of these Iconic Tracks too...... Building up a good library for that Day when Time doesn't matter anymore and I can spend whatever time is req'd to explore them :)