Lights on or Lights off???

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok. Maybe this has been discussed before.
I have been watching lots of 4by shows like on Aurora. I am sure I heard one bloke or two say don't have your lights on when you hit the water as cold water on hot lights will blow them.
If that is so , then why do I see so many trucks driving through rivers with headlights on. Also see it on you tube etc.???
Is that because it's like driving during a clear day with wan*er lights on for a big ego trip or does it save your headlights from blowing because they are on??? Doh.
P.S. Maybe you need to see underwater in case you go in real deep???

BOUNCY HJ61

There Might Be Some Logic To Driving A Crossing, with Them On.
The Air Heating Up Inside The Lens, May Help Keep Water Out? Of Course If They Are Hot When You Hit The Water, You May Crack Them.

Cheers Michael

Flash_dg

I went into a flooded creek back in Jan, it was dark the water was down enough we could drive across (been stuck there for 3 days) with out my lights on I wouldn't have been able to see anything.
They only went under for about 30secs or so, they filled with water but didn't blow.
Still had water in them for weeks later too.

jack48

Any river crossing if the water is deep enough will effect brakes , diffs, lights, gearbox and transfer case.

So when crossing it is advisable to let things cool down, not many do it just be cautious.

frosty

Ask Patriot what happens when you hit cold (very cold) water with your lights on. The answer is,,,,, everybody laughs!! Cos his headlights exploded.

Moral is, Jack said it, let things cool down before it gets expensive.

jack48

Hot gearbox, transfer case and diffs are the same without breathers, also catalytic exhausts, Take care.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, I reckon my lightforce strikers feel pretty warm when used.
I will take the advice if and when I cross water and let things, including other parts, to cool down.
Thanks.

cptmud

i always turn my lights off as i have cracked lens before, night drive in vic in the middle of winter. Im looking int the possibilitys of running an over ride switch so i can turn my roof lights without having the headlights on, but they will still work thru the high beam for road worthy

redandy3575

Interesting topic this one. On my Rangie the driving lights have two separate breathers on them to allow air to escape as the air expands with heat, and later let's air back in as the lights constricts with the cold.

Depends too on the quality of the light glass

Newer vehicles have polycarbonate plastic lenses which a more tolerant to heat expanses.