Lift or Rim + tyre

Komang

Hi Guys
Ask opinion to rise the ground clearance for my ranger,its for commute use
Which is the best
Fit in 2inch lift kit or change to bigger Rim and tyre profile (now 265/65/17)
Thankyou.

2002GU3

Depends, do you want more clearance for chassis/body or diffs ?..... 2" lift will lift the chassis/body but not the diffs,,,, bigger tyres will lift the whole car (including diffs) 1/2 of extra size of the bigger tyres eg. if you go from 31" tyres to 33" tyres ( 2" bigger) the diffs (and whole car) will lift 1" -- (but bigger tyres usually put more strain on the drive train and use more fuel).

Komang

Thankyou bro GU3.
I am consider it to change RIM and tyre to bigger size. XLT ranger use 18”. Swap to 18” probably safe for the engine. As now still using steel rim and will not effect much to swap with alloy (lighter) with bigger size and tyre.

discomatt

If you use it as a 4wd do not swop to 18 inch rim, stick with the 17 because you have more tire brand / size choices and you end up with more rubber side wall so can air down more and less chance of pinching a side wall when off road.
I would go up to 265 75 17

Komang

Thanks bro Matt
It just commute car and sometime for camping and sightseeing place where only 4x4 can get to it.

Colly18

If you use it as a 4wd do not swop to 18 inch rim, stick with the 17 because you have more tire brand / size choices and you end up with more rubber side wall so can air down more and less chance of pinching a side wall when off road.
I would go up to 265 75 17
OP suggests vehicle is for commute use. So maybe the OP isn't really focused on off road practicality?
Regardless of alloy or steel rims increase in tyre diameter/circumference (without gearing modifications) will usually hamper acceleration, braking and fuel economy performance.
Similarly raising the vehicle 2" will incur a fuel economy penalty (even if just modest).
Komang, why do you want a 2" lift? Standard Ranger vehicle specs will get you to most common places for camping and sightseeing.

03hilux

Thankyou bro GU3.
I am consider it to change RIM and tyre to bigger size. XLT ranger use 18”. Swap to 18” probably safe for the engine. As now still using steel rim and will not effect much to swap with alloy (lighter) with bigger size and tyre.

Dont fall into the trap of "bigger wheel = bigger tyre. Using your ranger as an example, you are running a 265/65R17 and the XLT uses a 265/60R18. .Both are pretty much the same diameter, so other than a bigger wheel, you'll get no bennefit.
You can use a 265/70R17 tyre size to gain a bit of hieght. Please see pics below.
The 1st pics shows your tyre vs the 18 inch XLT. The 2nd pic is your tyre size vs 265/70R17.
Have a tyre shop do a test fit on the 265/70R17 to check clearances, as they may foul the body or the suspension, to which you may have to do a lift anyway.

1588760064942.png
1588759850202.png
1588760064942.png

1588759850202.png

discomatt

Don't worry about lift if not going 4wding very often, I did the Kimberly in 2018 with a mate in a Ranger with stock suspension, he managed to do a fair amount of off roading with no issue although he is a very experienced and good 4wder.

Komang

OP suggests vehicle is for commute use. So maybe the OP isn't really focused on off road practicality?
Regardless of alloy or steel rims increase in tyre diameter/circumference (without gearing modifications) will usually hamper acceleration, braking and fuel economy performance.
Similarly raising the vehicle 2" will incur a fuel economy penalty (even if just modest).
Komang, why do you want a 2" lift? Standard Ranger vehicle specs will get you to most common places for camping and sightseeing.
Hi Bro Colly,
My work place have to new place now and it still alot off grass paddok so lift the body or diff will be safe for me to through this site.
Thanks

Komang

Thanks all bro,
Very good info for me,will do check what I really need. Might be just a third and fourth bash plate to keep it safe

Lost1?

If you go to a 265/70 x 17 tyre you will get a slight lift and a longer footprint if you air down off road. No lift required for this increase in diameter. If you fit up some accessories like a bar, winch, bash plates etc. you should upgrade your springs and shocks. The lift part is optional. I have a mate with a PX Ranger. It has 1" lift and 265/75R16 tyres. It goes fairly well off road. You don't need the biggest lift and the biggest tyres to do 90% of touring tracks in Australia. But when the going gets really tough a bit more lift or a slightly longer tyre foot print helps to get you through if you know how to use it.

Thats probably the best place to start. Learn how to operate your ute off road first. Then add stuff later. When your skills improve you will start to access and experience remote places away from the knuckle heads. Once that happens you will want to do it again and again. And then the mod bug will bite. Enjoy

Komang

If you go to a 265/70 x 17 tyre you will get a slight lift and a longer footprint if you air down off road. No lift required for this increase in diameter. If you fit up some accessories like a bar, winch, bash plates etc. you should upgrade your springs and shocks. The lift part is optional. I have a mate with a PX Ranger. It has 1" lift and 265/75R16 tyres. It goes fairly well off road. You don't need the biggest lift and the biggest tyres to do 90% of touring tracks in Australia. But when the going gets really tough a bit more lift or a slightly longer tyre foot print helps to get you through if you know how to use it.

Thats probably the best place to start. Learn how to operate your ute off road first. Then add stuff later. When your skills improve you will start to access and experience remote places away from the knuckle heads. Once that happens you will want to do it again and again. And then the mod bug will bite. Enjoy
Hi Bro, thanks for the info
yes i have look for tyre the option with keeping the the steel rim are only the 265/70
It already had factory bull bar and 2 bass plate.
I have only tiny experience 4x4 with mud not sand and gravel here. I will need more practise like what you said.

MrPoopypants

Hey Komang
If you have steel rims they are 16inch. I have the XLS alloy standard 16inch rims with 265/75 = just under 32 inch, so gives a small lift.
Combined with a 2 inch lift (legal limit with tires but actually got 3inch out of it, will probably settle) it works fine. Great clearance and still handles fine.
You can pick up the alloy XLS (16inch) or alloy XLT or Wildtrack pretty cheap on Gumtree or Ebay. I bought 4 alloys for $100 with tires, just cause I wanted an alloy spare to replace my steel one, so I could rotate tires regularly.
Cheers mate
PP

Komang

Hi Bro Poopy,
Not sure my steel rim 16” as the brochure XL plus came with 17” steel wheel. Will ask the mr fored dealer next week.
What you suggested will be an option too. Will lookup in gumtree
Thanks

MrPoopypants

Hi Bro Poopy,
Not sure my steel rim 16” as the brochure XL plus came with 17” steel wheel. Will ask the mr fored dealer next week.
Thanks
Nah, mate, pretty sure all the XLs and XLSs came with 16s. I've never seen a steel 17 standard. They have a row of round holes all around the inside of the rim. 16s are a common tire size, too. So, a bit cheaper and easier to get. Worth playing with a tyre calculator to compare sizes on the web, just to see what the advantages, compared to costs are. Some brands don't carry some sizes, too.
Oh, and if you go for off road tires don't forget an LT (light truck) designation means they are a fair bit tougher. Plenty of tracks in W.A. with big gibbers, too.
Have fun with it.
PP

2002GU3

Hi Bro Poopy,
Thanks
Look on your tyres, it will have the size on the side wall.

cam04

XL plus is indeed a 17” steely if I remember correctly. 265 70r17 is a good fit. I have those and a set of 265 75 r16 for mine.

MrPoopypants

That's funny, mine is the same year (2017??) and has 16s. But I stand corrected! :) My spare was a steel. Def. 16. Still got it. Friend has the same. Strange that there are two sized steel rims on the base models. Anyhoo, no problem, but if you want a bit of lift go up to 265/70 or 265/75 or 285/70?? I went wider and a higher profile. I don't understand why a four wheel drive would want a lower profile, with more rim, but seems the fashion.
Check prices, different sizes can be a lot more expensive. Let us know what you get.
Cheers
PP

Komang

I guess between XL and XL plus probably got bullbar + tech pack/DRL + dual battery and 17” steel rim with continental tyre.
Will change the tyre but not now as will use this a few month.
will update it here
Thanks for the info guys very much appreciate.