Licola QBWE

Bomber2012

I left home Thursday morning planing on staying at a quiet camp spot up past Doolans Plain out through Licola , stopped at Traralgon to fill up with fuel , bread rolls from the bakery , last bottlo , then off to Licola . Heading up Tamboritha rd we could see the snow on the peaks ahead in the sunshine , was about a kilometre or 2 before Kellys Lane turn off when we hit the snow . We decided to pull over and get some wood before the snow got to deep , while we were pulled over getting wood a Parks Victoria Ranger pulled up for a chat , we told him where we were going and he told us "good luck" they had only made it up to the MacFarlanes track before they turned around. We got up to Arbuckle Junction turned onto Moroka Rd and the snow only got deeper (almost 1 meter deep in some spots) we continued on up to MacFarlanes looking for an unnamed track to get us up to the plain , by that time it was 4pm and knowing the drive up to Doolans was tight and the amount of snow we would have to shovel out to make camp would have been a mission we took the easy way out and turned around to get out of the snowline , get a fire going , make camp and re access with a few bevvies . We ended up finding a great spot off the road a bit that none of us knew existed and settled into a good night around the fire . Knowing most of the tracks we had planned on doing were closed early and being QBWE , we were happy to stay at our out of the way spot til Monday , doing day trips , eating well (roast lamb , @Toddyh's jalipino damper in the camp oven) and hydrating . You need to be flexible in the HC and even though we didn't do what we had originally planned we had a fantastic few days up in the hills and a well timed break .
Was good to talk to @Spooner who spotted me leaving home on Thursday morning , good to see snow again and forget about work for a while . I didn't take a photo all week but one of the blokes that came along sent me a few , us Vics are so lucky to have a such a beautiful resource like the VHC (reasonably) close to home , get out there and enjoy it .
fullsizeoutput_fce.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fd1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fcf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fd0.jpeg

Pics of Shaws Creek , Kellys lane by Higgs.

Swaggie

I jumped in that River for a swim a couple of years ago in Feb and i could only stay in it for about 5 minutes before I was almost relieved of my manhood ... Coldest River I've come across for a long time

Last edited:

greysrigging

I reckon even the Murray at Cobram in the middle of summer is friggen cold ! Long time ago I walked the Milford Track ( NZ ) and it was about 30c so we took a dip in a glacier fed lake.... for about 30 seconds.....picture a turtle pulling his head back into his shell......

Bomber2012

Shaws creek actual has a species of Galaxia (native fish) which is only found in that creek . It was only recently discovered in the head waters and fisheries have put some type of contraption in to stop the trout getting up there and eating them , they have also electrofished ?? that section of the creek to remove any trout that were up there .

peterfermtech

Shaws creek actual has a species of Galaxia (native fish) which is only found in that creek . It was only recently discovered in the head waters and fisheries have put some type of contraption in to stop the trout getting up there and eating them , they have also electrofished ?? that section of the creek to remove any trout that were up there .
Just looked it up. https://atfonline.com.au/home/page/Shaw-Galaxias I can go back almost 50 years catching trout in there and they were well and truly plentiful back then. Given that Shaws drops through many falls as it leaves Bennison Plains I guess the trout must have been introduced up at the top.
regards

MrPoopypants

Fantastic Bomber. Great time to be in that area. Would love to see more photos.
The Galaxias are kind of interesting, there are some similar ones (different fish) in the upper snowy, so dpi have stopped stocking Guthega Dam and any waters above there. Amazing they have managed to survive trout stocking for so long.

boobook

Looks great Bomber. Magic photos of Shaw Creek. It is at nice levels.

It's lovely up there and one of the only spots in Vic where you can reliably drive and camp in snow outside the resorts.

I'll bet one of the most common parts of your conversation at night was "Sh!t - it's bloody cold"

That roast lamb would have been heaven. I'm jealous, sounds like a fantastic trip.

I just read the bit about the trout in Shaw creek. That used to be one of the best trout streams anywhere.

boobook

Last edited:

Bomber2012

I'll bet one of the most common parts of your conversation at night was "Sh!t - it's bloody cold"
Hahaha it was bloody cold away from the fire , Although I look forward to winter camping each year , big fire and the right equipment is the key .

Barra GU

Nice bomber... did you drive past licola caravan park on the thursday? If so i was there up on blocks waiting for a new diff centre as the one we put it played funny buggers on the way up.

Magical spot there. The rest of the boys went and did their planned trip but i sat back at cheynes bridge for 2 nights and called it early cos of my bad luck.

Pics look awesone

Bomber2012

Nice bomber... did you drive past licola caravan park on the thursday? If so i was there up on blocks waiting for a new diff centre as the one we put it played funny buggers on the way up.

Magical spot there. The rest of the boys went and did their planned trip but i sat back at cheynes bridge for 2 nights and called it early cos of my bad luck.

Pics look awesone
Wish I had have know Barra would've dropped in for a chat .