Leyland Daff Vans Utes (LDV)

mikehzz

Yeah, we've got a Kia Cerato as a business run around and it seems reliable but we took it for a long run and the noise drove my wife batty. Admittedly, she didn't have far to go to be batty. :)

CaptainBanana

And for those who don't notice this stuff they make a great practical choice. I drove a huyandai from Portland to Melbourne once and 45 minutes in the seat had murderered by back and noise assaulted my ears... It's not for me.

CaptainBanana

I am curious how these LDVS drive but I won't buy one, with my Mitsubishi dramas and the Toyota dpf issues and a few other well known problems in the big brands my faith in Chinese made cars isn't very high.

Bomber2012

With regard to the chinese built cars , as has been mentioned they are built to a price . You can't expect a first class vehicle when paying peanuts , I think some peoples expectations are to high for what is a basic vehicle . The old saying still rings true "you get what you pay for" , I know a few tradies who bought Chinese utes for work and they served their purpose for 4-5 years , trade in prices were appalling but it is what it is .

jacnden

Lot of critics of hyundais and kias, I wonder if you have been in one less than 10 years old? We a had a new cerato few years back , don't recall it more noisy than anything else. Stepdaughter has a new i30 , another good one
According to RACV 2018 car of the year these are placings for a few categories
Best micro/light 1st Kia
Best small 3rd Kia
Best large. 1st Kia
Best sport. 1st Hyundai
Best 2wd SUV 3rd Hyundai
Best awd SUV 1st Kia 2nd Hyundai

Just saying :eek:

mikehzz

The production costs in China are very low so getting the price point wouldn't be hard even if you bump the quality. My mate had the Aus franchise for a well known sporting brand, a $200 set of shoes cost $7 US from the Chinese factory at the time.

CaptainBanana

Lot of critics of hyundais and kias, I wonder if you have been in one less than 10 years old? We a had a new cerato few years back , don't recall it more noisy than anything else. Stepdaughter has a new i30 , another good one
According to RACV 2018 car of the year these are placings for a few categories
Best micro/light 1st Kia
Best small 3rd Kia
Best large. 1st Kia
Best sport. 1st Hyundai
Best 2wd SUV 3rd Hyundai
Best awd SUV 1st Kia 2nd Hyundai

Just saying :eek:
2012 model, brand new, I picked it up on Behalf of a manager friend at hertz rentals. All ubers are under 8 years old, I have two bad back injuries and easily pick a bad seat from a good seat.

The racv like others rank on a subjective criteria and rank value vs safety vs features above outright comfort.

Last edited:

jacnden

2012 model, brand new, I picked it up on Behalf of a manager friend at hertz rentals. All ubers are under 8 years old, I have two bad back injuries and easily pick a bad seat from a good seat.

The racv like others rank on a subjective criteria and rank value vs safety vs features above outright comfort.
Would a holden or a Mazda or a Volkswagen be any better? Recently was a passenger in a new Tiguan for 600ks. Didn't think it was any more comfortable than the i30
Really not trying to defend Korean cars just don't think most mid priced cars are much different. What car would you call comfortable?

mikehzz

My wife is very sensitive to seats and ride. The trouble is you can't tell from a test drive. She hates the Kia, hates her new Audi quattro Q3, but absolutely loves our 10 year old Land Rover.

CaptainBanana

Would a holden or a Mazda or a Volkswagen be any better? Recently was a passenger in a new Tiguan for 600ks. Didn't think it was any more comfortable than the i30
Really not trying to defend Korean cars just don't think most mid priced cars are much different. What car would you call comfortable?
My last car was a 2016 Mazda 6 GT Wagon with twin turbo diesel, it was almost silent engine wise although road noise was a bit shit (Mazda thing) , drank an unbelievably small amount of fuel, handled well and was the most comfortable car I've owned even on 19 inch factory wheels. Prior to that an Alfa Romeo 159 also very quiet and comfortable and prior to that about 20 other cars none of which felt like driving a plastic outdoor chair.

CaptainBanana

My wife is very sensitive to seats and ride. The trouble is you can't tell from a test drive. She hates the Kia, hates her new Audi quattro Q3, but absolutely loves our 10 year old Land Rover.
People with good spines don't realise what an uncomfortable car is until they sit in one and this doesn't account for the NVH in Korean cars or other issues I found like the engine was completely useless under 4500rpm for example where it's class competitors were not.... It's easy to win a comparison when price, service and running cost makes up the bulk of the criteria.

dno67

It's a bit hard comparing a European made vehicle with a korean built vehicle, bit like comparing a statesman to a berina. Yes road noise can be an issue on some of the base models, as for the seats (lve got a stuffed back and hips ) l can't say l've my fathers Santa fe's seats too bad.
I think you have compare like for like, maybe something like a craptiva to a kia or hyundia tuson to be a bit fairer. The cheaper utes like tata, great wall and alike are almost single use vehicles. Look what you pay, little wonder there not worth anything second hand. Iol
Most of the tradie's that l know that tried a Chinese ute had similar opinions, under powered, poor suspension and load caryring when compared to a Toyota holden ford. But they only paid a fraction of the price. So wasn't unexpected to a certain extent.

CaptainBanana

It's a bit hard comparing a European made vehicle with a korean built vehicle, bit like comparing a statesman to a berina. Yes road noise can be an issue on some of the base models, as for the seats (lve got a stuffed back and hips ) l can't say l've my fathers Santa fe's seats too bad.
I think you have compare like for like, maybe something like a craptiva to a kia or hyundia tuson to be a bit fairer. The cheaper utes like tata, great wall and alike are almost single use vehicles. Look what you pay, little wonder there not worth anything second hand. Iol
Most of the tradie's that l know that tried a Chinese ute had similar opinions, under powered, poor suspension and load caryring when compared to a Toyota holden ford. But they only paid a fraction of the price. So wasn't unexpected to a certain extent.
Like I said I'm kinda curious because I'm trying to get rid of the Triton as we speak but I'm pretty sure I won't go down this Avenue I just can't believe they'll be any good for so little money

dno67

Like I said I'm kinda curious because I'm trying to get rid of the Triton as we speak but I'm pretty sure I won't go down this Avenue I just can't believe they'll be any good for so little money
I've come to the conclusion, there arnt too many good new vehicle's on offer at present. That's not to say you can't buy something and be happy with it... for the money spent.

Marck

The thing is that Hyundai isn’t cheep anymore. You pay less for a corola. I paid 21k for a brand new corola auto in June a new i30 is 27k. We got out of my wife’s I30 after 5 years and 175k and the biggest issue it had was the button for the boot release stoped working. We replaced it with a Honda CRV and it was CHEAPER than a similar speced I30.

I think the case with these new chineses and Korean brands coming in so cheep is to break into the market. The new sangyong Musso top of the line with all the fun bits and leather and LSD and a 7 year unlimited km warenty. Makes it super hard to spend 40k on a second hand hilux with 100k on the clock. Let alone close 50 - 60k for a similar speced vehicle with another badge.

For sure resale will be a train wreck on the new brands on the market.
Buuuuuuuut if I was goIng to drop 40k I would probably get a lowish km prado over a new sangyong because I don’t think I could live with the constant ridicule of my mates for buying a sangyong and this is coming from a bloke that drives a Suzuki.

M

Chris Burke

If only they had a bit more power I would he looking at one for my next lease due in a few months after my current Ranger. Another 30 or so KWs and they would really be a complete package against the Rangers and such.

Currently shopping around and they have got me interested but just can't get passed the lack of power. It's on par with utes from 10 years ago which just really isn't good enough these days when also having to deal with the expected worse resale value come trade in time plus the unknown reliability stakes.

cam04

‘I30’s aren’t cheap’ - there are 6 spec levels with drive away prices from $20 - $42k .....,
‘An i30 hire car wasn’t as nice as a GT6 wagon’ - at literally less than half the price you’d bloody well hope so.
‘Test it against a captiva’ - captivas ARE unfortunately Korean. They are a Daewoo. Unlucky example.
I probably shouldn’t have read this before my first coffee haha.
Anyone driven an i30n? My brother in law bought one. For the money (still less than a Mazda 6 GT) and the warranty they are a whole lot of driver’s car. The active diffs with yaw sensing these days are mind blowingly good. I never thought I’d take to a front wheel drive car after years of Subaru club cars and bmw prior to that. I wouldn’t put a lady with a bad back in one though. Even with the adjustable suspension softened up, they are anything but.

CaptainBanana

‘I30’s aren’t cheap’ - there are 6 spec levels with drive away prices from $20 - $42k .....,
‘An i30 hire car wasn’t as nice as a GT6 wagon’ - at literally less than half the price you’d bloody well hope so.
‘Test it against a captiva’ - captivas ARE unfortunately Korean. They are a Daewoo. Unlucky example.
I probably shouldn’t have read this before my first coffee haha.
Anyone driven an i30n? My brother in law bought one. For the money (still less than a Mazda 6 GT) and the warranty they are a whole lot of driver’s car. The active diffs with yaw sensing these days are mind blowingly good. I never thought I’d take to a front wheel drive car after years of Subaru club cars and bmw prior to that. I wouldn’t put a lady with a bad back in one though. Even with the adjustable suspension softened up, they are anything but.
I used the Mazda 6 example as I was responding to the question asking if a Mazda would drive better, also the base Mazda 6 isn't very expensive hence selling so many cars each month. We also bought a Mazda 3 hatch in 2015 for the then misses and the only car we drove that she liked better was the 55k top spec Volvo v40.... Sorry huyandai still doesn't cut it for me and likley these new Chinese offerings won't.

Edit: just had a quick look, about $1000 between the sonata and Mazda 6....and the sonata is selling in very low numbers where the Mazda was only outsold by the fleet model camry. Not at all surprising, as has been said before huyandai are no longer cheap but still don't drive, look or feel like competitors and this is true of kia and others.

Last edited:

discomatt

When Liza's Disco 2 started having a couple of issues and needed some coin spent on it we had 3 LR's parked in the driveo_O:confused:
So we went car shopping, I looked at all the small car options and test drove a few, the price between brands all pretty much stacked up when comparing apples with apples once you spoke to a sales guy and got the "real" price.
Went to Hyundai, had a look and test drove the i30 sr, well bugger me by far the best out of all of them, the way it handles and turns into corners, the seats and trim, dash layout and controls. IMO everything was better than the rest except road noise which is terrible but that's very easy to fix in one afternoon. The only other thing is the cabin air filter is crap but we compare that to the D4 and if we start doing that there is no caparison between the cars.
1 year down the track still love it, every time I drive it I just want to drive faster because it just goes so well.

dirvine

Like Jacden, I had a heavily modified Great Wall. I found it quite comfortable and much quieter than my partners Mazda 6. At the end of a 1000k day I was tired and knew I had been driving. The Disco is just heaps better. Quiet, smooth and after a 1000K trip, I feel I could do another without a rest. For me what makes a car comfortable is the seating position, the noise factor, and if the car drives itself (almost) or are you constantly having to row the gearbox, or worry that it does not have the power to overtake a slower vehicle with ease. In other words the stress levels you take on board. The cheap vehicles we see are targeted to a market, and in all honesty I dont believe they are targeted to rugged 4wd situations and long drives from point A to point B. Then again few cars fit that criteria straight out of the show room. Would I own another GW or Haval. Yes I would consider it if it could tow a decent van with ease up hill and down dale. At the moment they have a way to go with engine power but I am sure if they want to grab that part of the market they will develop a vehicle to suit just like the Japs did with the Landcruiser. I used to get laughed at when I rocked up at club trips in my GW. Soon shut them up when I would climb up taking the difficult line, and at a 1/3 of the cost of the LC's and Pootrols.