Leyland Daff Vans Utes (LDV)

Rumbuck

Mate, you have to have a thick skin if you drive a Jeep or Land Rover too. :) They'll give you a hard time but it's all in fun......I think? I've been looking at the T60's, nice specs, features and safety, but concerned about a couple of bad reviews on productreview.com.au. The motor in the Colorado tune has a few issues too. Probably tuned down for better reliability.
Just had a read, I've had none of those issues and have heard of them, but as far as I know, those issues were software related.
Yeah the dumb key sets off the alarm, but so does the smart key if I stick it in the door. So that guy doesn't really understand how the alarm works I think...
Warranty I've had no issues, took it in with a sticky fuel cap and it was fixed in 10 minutes, I don't know what these people claim to wait for, the EGR was fixed as fast as they could.

Bomber2012

Well, saw the thread and thought I may come in here to some polite conversation, but it seems that opinions have been formed, people have already made up their minds (And can't even spell DAF, it's one "F", not two "F"'s)
Got my 2018 LDV T60 in August, and I'll say it's been a wonderful car, seems to be essentially a Colorado, not surprising as the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) runs the Asian GM Factories.
Runs the same VM Motori Donk as the Gen 1 Colorado, so that's pretty robust, it's essentially a Colorado with a Chinese Body.
As far as issues go, I've had a flat battery twice, and the EGR lock out into limp mode once, turns out that both were a BCM Software error, no issues since.
Offroad, well, it goes, and it goes, and it just goes.
I mean, it's no Landcruiser with 3" of lift and 35's, but it gets the job done on 50mm and 285/75R17's and in some cases does better than my cruiser did, as this one has an LSD, the old cruiser just brute forced it's way over stuff, I can finesse this over things.
Also, MG is also owned by SAIC, and funnily, they charge a premium price for a Chinese MG with less technology than a comparably cheaper Volkswagen. My wifes 2015 Jetta has better tech in it than the new MG's in 2018 and the MG's SUCK with power and the trim is cheap and tacky.
Now, is this going to be a civil discussion or is it going to be "Oh no! Chinese Utes! Ahhhhhh!" and "My [Insert Japanese or American or German Ute that's Built in Spain/Thailand/Argentina] is better than anything owned AND built in China" which seems to be the reaction these days.

Or the counter argument of "But it's Chinese" well yes....it is, valid discussion?
Chinese cars are shit boxes .

Rumbuck

How does one end up with a "sticky" fuel cap ?
Just curious , they either come off and go back on , twist and turn .
More the fuel door, it'd release but not quite, so had to pop it the rest of the way with your fingers, was an easy fix, the tab had a small kink in it

Albynsw

I hope they are better at vehicles than they are with tractors, the steel and cast iron are poor quality and break frequently.
The AG mechanics don’t like them

When does the Hyundai Ute hit the market?, they would be worth a look and no doubt will be great value for money

mikehzz

It seems that most of the new stuff is hitting the market in 2020, the Gladiator, Defender replacement and Hyundai/Kia utes.
Good to know about the metal quality on the Ag machinery. Still, a 5 year warranty offers some piece of mind.

Tink

It seems that most of the new stuff is hitting the market in 2020, the Gladiator, Defender replacement and Hyundai/Kia utes.
And the new Isuzu Dmax and the new Mazda BT50 also made by Isuzu. Should be an interesting vehicle year.
Tink

Spooner

Yeah, the 5 year warranty was one of the bits that got me, I mean, I used the hell out of the Foton warranty and ended up getting a completely new car (Which I traded for the LDV) so that showed me the importance of warranty on a new car.

Thats gotta fill you with confidence then eh ?
Buy one and get a new replacement after 3 years.

Spooner

I think there's been a definite jump in quality the past year or so
Only on the inside with infotainment and interior wank.
Outside they are still the same o'l weak shitbox.
Im sure eventually the stars will align and they will catch up.
Remember they are built to a price , and all the extra money has gone on the inside goodies ;)

Last edited:

Spooner

From what I saw China are starting to become innovators not just copiers
Thats only because they steal people's IP from overseas and can manage to put it into production 1st through lower costs.
Im not a fan of their methods , but one thing I will give them credit for is learning and fixing their mistakes.
Unlike the Japanese , which refuse to accept that there is a problem with something they made.
It's a cultural thing .
Ive had many experiences with both Japanese & Chinese in business with motorcycles going back 30 years or more.
The Chinese listen & fix , the Japanese just listen , nod , and don't do a thing.
Maybe it will come back to bite them in the future ;)

dno67

It wasn't that long ago Hyundai entered the AU market with the Excel, cheap
and not so well refined, look where they are now. Toyota have been noted
as saying "Hyundai are the only manufacturer they fear" and with there latest
offerings rightly so.

CaptainBanana

It wasn't that long ago Hyundai entered the AU market with the Excel, cheap
and not so well refined, look where they are now. Toyota have been noted
as saying "Hyundai are the only manufacturer they fear" and with there latest
offerings rightly so.

Everytime I sit in a huyandai uber car it seems to have sagged seats, quite a bit more engine noise than expected and the occasional knock and squeak which I've found true in a couple uber kia carnivals too... They're better than the early excels but hardly good and that's not knowing what their reliability is like.