Leyland Daff Vans Utes (LDV)

typhoeus

As pommie car aficionado when i was a young fellow, its hard to believe leyland, and even MG are made in china now :(

D

Deleted member 69390

But the Chinese MG company is completely different to the British MG company - basically the Chinese just bought the badge.

Tink

typhoeus

Yes, synchro, i know. The lines get blurred by time, and the unique design features which made each brand different and appeal to individual folk eventually become all the same. I have to look at the badge to identify new vehicles these days . . They all look the same. Thoze new MGs look like hyundies from the back.

dave H

Geez Tink. thats their name. Ok so any other things that LDV could stand for? Like Driving Volvo ....??? Love Drinking Vodka....? Loping Drunken Virgin...........?

Last edited:

Tink

Geez Tink. thats their name. Ok so any other things that LDV could stand for? Like Driving Volvo ....??? Love Drinking Vodka....? Loping Drunken Virgin...........?
Nope, it is just LDV, nothing more, nothing less. Try as hard as you like it will never be anything else :D
Tink

Paddler Ed

Leyland Duff Vans when we had an old Sherpa crew bus at school (early 1990s, until they banned crew bus seating for school vehicles - side facing wooden slat benches)... the best thing was it was easy to break into when it was raining...

LDV is another one of those companies that is pretty much a bit of IP, the name and some of the history.... nothing else really related to the previous company - which in the case of some of the former UK companies that the Chinese have bought up might not be the end of the world, depending on how they've been managed.

jacnden

Not anymore. MG is Chinese
The assets and MG brand were purchased by Nanjing Automobile Group (which merged into SAIC in 2008) for GB£53 million. Production restarted in 2007 in China. The first all-new model from MG in the UK for 16 years, the MG 6, officially launched on 26 June 2011
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Cars
Tink
what a shame they are not building a little cheap roadster instead of a very cheap suv in a crowded market. cant see it doing any good

Rumbuck

Well, saw the thread and thought I may come in here to some polite conversation, but it seems that opinions have been formed, people have already made up their minds (And can't even spell DAF, it's one "F", not two "F"'s)
Got my 2018 LDV T60 in August, and I'll say it's been a wonderful car, seems to be essentially a Colorado, not surprising as the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) runs the Asian GM Factories.
Runs the same VM Motori Donk as the Gen 1 Colorado, so that's pretty robust, it's essentially a Colorado with a Chinese Body.
As far as issues go, I've had a flat battery twice, and the EGR lock out into limp mode once, turns out that both were a BCM Software error, no issues since.
Offroad, well, it goes, and it goes, and it just goes.
I mean, it's no Landcruiser with 3" of lift and 35's, but it gets the job done on 50mm and 285/75R17's and in some cases does better than my cruiser did, as this one has an LSD, the old cruiser just brute forced it's way over stuff, I can finesse this over things.
Also, MG is also owned by SAIC, and funnily, they charge a premium price for a Chinese MG with less technology than a comparably cheaper Volkswagen. My wifes 2015 Jetta has better tech in it than the new MG's in 2018 and the MG's SUCK with power and the trim is cheap and tacky.
Now, is this going to be a civil discussion or is it going to be "Oh no! Chinese Utes! Ahhhhhh!" and "My [Insert Japanese or American or German Ute that's Built in Spain/Thailand/Argentina] is better than anything owned AND built in China" which seems to be the reaction these days.

Or the counter argument of "But it's Chinese" well yes....it is, valid discussion?

mikehzz

Mate, you have to have a thick skin if you drive a Jeep or Land Rover too. :) They'll give you a hard time but it's all in fun......I think? I've been looking at the T60's, nice specs, features and safety, but concerned about a couple of bad reviews on productreview.com.au. The motor in the Colorado tune has a few issues too. Probably tuned down for better reliability.

Mickkk

We recently bought 3 of the high roof vans. Seems great so far.
Their Ute looks good for their price. They look a lot better then the mahindra or the great walls.
They are fitted out with a lot of luxuries. We will keep the vans for 3 years, if they stay on the road we will get a new one. We literally give them away and still cost less then the Iveco/merc/feiat etc. reckon we we could flog them off to back packers at worse case.
It’s a gamble, (if they are off the road they are costing us money) but at less then 2/3rds the price (110k for 3 compaired to 180 to 200k.)

Rumbuck

We recently bought 3 of the high roof vans. Seems great so far.
Their Ute looks good for their price. They look a lot better then the mahindra or the great walls.
They are fitted out with a lot of luxuries. We will keep the vans for 3 years, if they stay on the road we will get a new one. We literally give them away and still cost less then the Iveco/merc/feiat etc. reckon we we could flog them off to back packers at worse case.
It’s a gamble, (if they are off the road they are costing us money) but at less then 2/3rds the price (110k for 3 compaired to 180 to 200k.)

Yeah, the 5 year warranty was one of the bits that got me, I mean, I used the hell out of the Foton warranty and ended up getting a completely new car (Which I traded for the LDV) so that showed me the importance of warranty on a new car.

So far though, the issues have been minor and inconsequential.